Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Big
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do I need to school you mg.org bitches on the finer points of zeuhl? Because I will if I have to.

Short version: scary french prog rock sung in Kobaian, which is the language spoken on the planet Kobaia (natch), the home planet of the drummer/Magma mastermind, Christian Vander. That's right, he's from Kobaia. Get used to it.

Dig into Magma's discography and consider your mind BLOWN.

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Surely someone in Magma's life had to, at one point, say "You know, Christian, maybe today you shouldn't take that extra tab of LSD".

·
Read Only
3 Posts
De Futra is awesome, though I think I like the more recent versions more than the classic versions. (I know, heresy)

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
Wow, Christian is a lot of fun to watch :lol:

I'm also enjoying this quite a bit. Crazy but awesome.

·
RG 7 player of doom
690 Posts
I tried to hard to love Magma, but honestly they just don't do it for me.
I used to frequent the site progarchives.com and a lot of guys there love the band and tried to turn me onto them.
I always vastly preferred Shub-Niggurath when it came to Zeuhl.
While not technically Zeuhl, it shares some similarities with Shub-Niggurath, the band Univers Zero kicks ass too

·
Big
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I tried to hard to love Magma, but honestly they just don't do it for me.
I used to frequent the site progarchives.com and a lot of guys there love the band and tried to turn me onto them.
I always vastly preferred Shub-Niggurath when it came to Zeuhl.
While not technically Zeuhl, it shares some similarities with Shub-Niggurath, the band Univers Zero kicks ass too
Honestly, I didn't fall in love with Magma until I saw them at NearFest a few years ago. At that point, I owned one Magma album (Kohntarkosz) and I liked it, but I guess I wasn't fully down with the zeuhl. Then I saw them and it was literally one of those shows that changed my life. I became a total Magma addict. Their live DVDs are also amazingly great, so maybe if you get a chance, watch one of those.

As for Shub Niggurath, they'd be great if it wasn't for the singing. That woman is terrible! In that style I prefer Eskaton, although honestly, the best zeuhl (aside from Magma) is the stuff being made currently. Jean Louis, One Shot, Setna, Neom, and the almighty Kolkhoze Printanium Here's a great video: Dailymotion - Kolkhoze Printanium - Argenteuil 2009 - a Music video

I could go on and on about zeuhl! Somebody stop me!

·
Read Only
3 Posts
So Matt and I saw Magma at the French Embassy in Washington D.C. Saturday night.

Holy shit what an amazing experience. They played for 2.5 hours, and the entire set (minus the overly long keyboard solo) was mesmerizing. Not only were they amazing musicians but the light show was perfect.

The lineup this time was Vander on drums (of course), a bassist, a guitarist, a xylophonist, a keyboardist, two female vocals (one is Vander's wife) and male vocalist. The first two pieces they played are, as of yet, unreleased. The first was amazingly heavy in a way that would make most metal bands jealous. They then played their entire last album (+/- 50 minutes). For an encore they played Kobaia which (I think) is their only piece not sung in Kobaian.

Christian was a total blast to watch play, and the Xylophonist was nearly as animated!

Kobaia:

Also, for any D.C. area folks.... Univers Zero is playing the French Embassy this Saturday.

For those in the NYC area.... Magma is playing there tonight... Josh you should go!

·
Big
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I went to the NYC show as well. The venue kinda sucked. It was basically Magma at a dinner theater. The sound wasn't as good, the lights weren't as good. The setlist was the same, but the keyboard solo was shorter. They still killed it, and if I hadn't just seen them, I would have made more effort to find a good vantage point. Stella said at this show that the first hour+ of new material would make up their next album, whenever they got around to recording it. Woo! Also, I learned last night that Christian and Stella Vander are no longer married - they're like the Ronnie James and Wendy Dio of french prog rock, I guess!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts