Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Good news, Everyone!
1,528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I've been playing a lot of Fallout 3, and While I love the music in it, I'd like to create a playlist for myself of late 40's-early-60's songs sounding like they're coming through an AM radio instead of being a Stereophonic Experience, as it were. Here's the song I want to do first.

I plan to run the mixed-down version out through my reel-to-reel tape player to add realistic tape sounds, I haven't yet found a convincing-sounding Digital Tape or Record hiss that sounds believable, with a tape unit right on my desk.

I just can't seem to set my EQs and comps to get a convincing-sounding AM radio sound. Maybe I should play the stereo signal through my little AM transmitter and record the output from an actual radio? That seems a little long-winded, as the transmitter isn't set up or even really accessible without shuffling das attic around.

·
Canis lupis robertus
5,706 Posts
I've got some plug ins that convey preset sounds, like telephone, or AM radio.

The defining characteristics of AM radio are that the high and low frequencies are extremely attenuated, and it's all in mono. Always. I used to work in AM radio. Pretty damn familiar with it. :lol:

·
Good news, Everyone!
1,528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, but attenuated to what level? I know that AM radio is basically all in a pretty narrow band of mid-range, but I'm not quite sure what that range is. I try looking it up and only am finding what frequencies AM broadcasts on... but I'm familiar with that, as someone who was pretty heavily into Radio at one point. I can get it REALLLY close, but it's never quite right. What's the EQ setup look like on your AM plugins?

The mono thing I've got down pat :lol:

·
Good news, Everyone!
1,528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am so lucky that I can understand Legalese. That should help out a ton. Thanks!

·
Mr. Negative Pants, ,
14,796 Posts
From what i've read, AM radio pretty much drops off at 5 kHz, but technically does go down to 20 Hz. However, it's the crappy sound reproduction of small transistor radios and RF interference that gives AM radio a lot of its character.

·
M3 Aficionado
1,278 Posts
The defining characteristics of AM radio are that the high and low frequencies are extremely attenuated, and it's all in mono. Always. I used to work in AM radio. Pretty damn familiar with it. :lol:
That, and you got the DJ's voice-over saying stuff like, "You're now listening to the mellow sounds of Mel Mounds. Spinnin' the platter and ditching the chatter because I am righteous, delighteous, and out-of-sighteous!"

Ray

1 - 11 of 11 Posts