Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Mr. Negative Pants, ,
14,796 Posts
Very cool. I remember using RAM disks for Photoshop scratch disks 'way back in the day.

·
Registered
20 Posts
that's a nice trick to do for free, especially since you can put tons of RAM in a comp for hardly any money these days.. I don't trust it as much as a solid state hard drive though.

·
Slow Money
14,612 Posts
Your computer can interact with RAM much faster than it can with a harddrive, because the harddrive is a mechanical thing (literally a spinning disk, where it has to find the right spots), or even a solid state disk which works like Ram, but the state changes are not as fast. Most recording programs involve using a lot of hard disk interaction, and this basically allows you to simulate the harddisk using entirely RAM, speeding the interactions way, way up.

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yep. RAM is way, way, way faster than even an SSD. The downside here is that the price per gig is obviously a lot higher, and RAM doesn't save writes like a hard drive does - so while this tip is cool, the guy that posted it is correct - you do NOT want to track to it, because if you have a crash, power outage, or otherwise - poof.

Pretty cool for mixing though, especially if you have a lot of tracks running. You have to manually copy your project out of the RAM drive onto your "real" hard drive, but you can automate that with a one-clicker script. Definitely going to try this out over the weekend.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Yep. RAM is way, way, way faster than even an SSD. The downside here is that the price per gig is obviously a lot higher, and RAM doesn't save writes like a hard drive does - so while this tip is cool, the guy that posted it is correct - you do NOT want to track to it, because if you have a crash, power outage, or otherwise - poof.

Pretty cool for mixing though, especially if you have a lot of tracks running. You have to manually copy your project out of the RAM drive onto your "real" hard drive, but you can automate that with a one-clicker script. Definitely going to try this out over the weekend.
not tracking to it makes sense, but wouldn't you lose all your mix tweaks and stuff if the RAM disk thing crashed? or would you have the project file on a real hard drive, and then only the tracks on the RAM disk?

I'm a little hazy on the actual benefit. even if I am tracking/mixing off a normal 7200rpm hard drive, after the initial loading, disk access doesn't seem to enter into the equation anymore except when I am recording new stuff. Even if I've got a lot of tracks, if my DAW hiccups it is because of a spike in CPU usage, not disk access.

or is this one of those things that is more relevant to Pro Tools users? I'm on Cubase Studio 5.

·
Slow Money
14,612 Posts
not tracking to it makes sense, but wouldn't you lose all your mix tweaks and stuff if the RAM disk thing crashed? or would you have the project file on a real hard drive, and then only the tracks on the RAM disk?

I'm a little hazy on the actual benefit. even if I am tracking/mixing off a normal 7200rpm hard drive, after the initial loading, disk access doesn't seem to enter into the equation anymore except when I am recording new stuff. Even if I've got a lot of tracks, if my DAW hiccups it is because of a spike in CPU usage, not disk access.

or is this one of those things that is more relevant to Pro Tools users? I'm on Cubase Studio 5.
Most daws are calling to hdd almost constantly in my experience. I know i can see reaper hitting it essentially nonstop. HDDs are THE bottleneck in computing speed.

Regarding the losses, thats why the guy says to copy the project file repeatedly

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
Max said:
Most daws are calling to hdd almost constantly in my experience. I know i can see reaper hitting it essentially nonstop. HDDs are THE bottleneck in computing speed.

Regarding the losses, thats why the guy says to copy the project file repeatedly
:agreed: I've got a OWC 240GB SSD, and after using it there's just no way I could ever go back to HDD's. It makes a Mac Mini feel snappier than a Mac Pro.

·
Slow Money
14,612 Posts
Wirelessly posted (Hivemind)

The single best computer related investment I have ever made, by far. Like, I'd rather have an ssd with nothing to hook up to, waiting for a computer to come my way, than a computer fully functioning with a mech drive. (not really but it's only a very slight exaggeration)

·
Registered
20 Posts
haha another +1 on the SSD thing. after I got my first one I very quickly upgraded all of my comps to SSDs. it is the best upgrade you can make to any computer.. and the new gen of SSDs are two or three times faster than the ones I have right now!

I love pulling up an instance of Superior 2 and having my entire drum kit load at full quality in under 10 seconds

1 - 14 of 14 Posts