Metal Guitarist Forums banner
101 - 120 of 123 Posts

·
Señor Member
12,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #103 ·
Still time to add a lion claw...
I would but I think that would interfere with the penis bone or whatever that is.

Killer! I take it that's nitro?
Thanks!

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Rust-Ol...m-Lacquer-Spray-Paint-6-Pack-332289/309675798

Used this stuff because I was getting tired of crappy answers on opaque nitro pigment options everywhere I read. Should likely be safe to use under nitro though as typically lacquer plays nice with lacquer, enamel plays nice with enamel and the stuff I spray is straight nitro+thinner, so I should be safe as long as this gasses off entirely. Running a dehumidifier and a box fan over it helps speed the process up.

·
OldSchool Blacksmith
2,866 Posts
Love watching this progress. You should take all these posts and do a wordpress site with them or something... I'd bet a lot of folks would dig reading all this beyond the old metalhead home for grouchy old players we have going on here.

·
Señor Member
12,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #105 ·
Thank you for the suggestion!

I used to maintain a blog/BB style page where I was posting some of my repairs, etc. but the format is really hard to keep up. I figured this would be in the model of some of the old build thread I used to get read when I was learning, some of which are still out there (Project Guitar, TDPRI, etc). Basically you can follow the build in realtime and *hopefully* the site and image hosting stays up so other folks can accidently find this over time and maybe learn something or decide to try one themselves.

·
Señor Member
12,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #107 ·
:bump:

Got some paint on this.

Didn't end up using any kind of primer/gesso for the acrylic paint as I figured I'd get pretty good coverage in the two coats. This is after two sloppy coats of white to just get the black showing through as little as possible.

I did a couple passes with the black brush to clean up edges. I did a few more after this as I went but this should give you the idea.

That was pretty good but the bones were still too 'toothpaste' white and I needed to get some depth down into the scratch etc. along with some age. This was a whole process that is kind of inexact, but the cliff notes is that it got grey dry brush, thinned white dry brush, grey/black wash, some airbrushed grey (via Badger 150 siphon fed) and a vintage white wash coat over the top and then dabbed off.

This is pretty much exactly what I was going for. The Chris Woods is nice but too 'different' from the original, this is a little closer but a little extra wear added. It's gonna sit for a couple days and then get topcoat.

Also did some work on the headstock. I'm using my logo, but of course a nod to the original, which is a pretty nice fit since it's a J. Frog and I use 'J. Cedric'. Hunted down a suitable font, I did some minor manipulation in Illustrator but not much. Cut with the vinyl cutter, inverted to remove the lettering to spray through, affixed it and taped the rest of the headstock.

Did some similar techniques as the bones with various white, grey, stippled, airbrushed etc to get it not completely bright white.

After the tape and vinyl peel

I've got some minor minor touchups to do to the back of the body but otherwise I think we're on to clear (satin nitro) and assembly. :yesway:

·
Señor Member
12,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #115 ·
Thanks folks, and I'm glad you've enjoyed. I've got a lotta toys to make the job easier but hopefully someone gets the inspiration to give this a go!

I actually got into the community from meeting Skinhead on Project Guitar and I think he referenced a Razer 8-string on SSO, and I went there to check it out. 14 years later, I'm stuck with you assholes! But yeah, ideally somebody gets bit by the bug.

While I can't wait to see it finished, this entire thread has been so much fun to keep coming back to, checking on your progress.
I'm never gonna beat this for cool factor but I've always got some ideas kicking around, so hopefully there's a part II when this one's done. I've got a few models sketched up already. :coffee:

·
Premium Member
32,450 Posts
Man, that looks fantastic. :metal:

·
Read Only
10 Posts
I don't always think about random dudes I know on the internet when I'm laying in bed at night, but when I do, I think "Hey, I wonder how Randy's guitar is coming along". Though to be fair I didn't feel truly weird about it until this morning when I used the forum search for it...

So anyway how's this going?

·
Señor Member
12,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #120 ·
:lol:

I moved in November and it's been a shit show getting all my tools out of storage and getting the new shop setup do be able to do any work in it.

Actually, good timing, because I just cleaned it out last week and upgraded the lighting.

Just moved over the last of the machinery on Monday before snowstorm, so I'm hoping to get my old projects over here by the end of the week.

My recollection is that the Lynch just needs some wet sanding and assembly since it got put away.

101 - 120 of 123 Posts