Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, RJ is dead, and GRRM will never finish his, but look what I have! :metal:

I also ordered the hardcover, since I have the rest, but I could NOT wait that long. Kinda sucks that I'm in the middle of the second Mistborn book, but there's no way I can resist reading this tonight, and every night from now until I'm finished with it.

CAN NOT WAIT

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah I read it. I read two of the books in one sitting man. :lol:

And HOLY SHIT is that post awesome. :lol: It's spot on, but I fucking love it. I expect tons of that in this book. Have you read any of it yet? Kalam isn't in the DP in the beginning, so I'm assuming he just writes him off/closes his storyline somehow. In fact, neither is Quick Ben. :(

I'm gonna start it in about half an hour. :D

·
Super Moderator
13,448 Posts
I'm 230 pages in so far. Erikson is really really teasing the audience. So far, there is only one short half page section of Quick Ben and no Kalam whatsoever.

The main focus of that post in the other thread is Erikson's obsession with taking something relatively minor and being super duper melodramatic and "emo" about it. He seems to like to make super duper badass characters and have them be crazy awesome for a few novels and then he turns them into simpering fools that question everything they've done and cry in their milk about how unfair the gods are or about how humans should all die. :lol:

That's why I like Karsa so much. He's nothing like that. Ever.

[action=Naren]fears that Karsa will appear in The Crippled God as a simpering fool doubting everything he's done, complaining about how unfair life is.[/action]

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
:lol: Vince.

I'm Kindling, so it doesn't have page numbers, but I made it 19% of the way through it last night. Had to force myself to stop at 3AM or so. Book is awesome city. The first chapter or two is typical Erikson rambling, but after that it's like a parade of awesome characters from past books. One chapter hits on Dead Hedge, then it jumps to Karsa, to Draconus, to Icarim, then Mappo, etc, etc.

Loving it so far. :yesway:

·
Super Moderator
13,448 Posts
Book is awesome city. The first chapter or two is typical Erikson rambling, but after that it's like a parade of awesome characters from past books. One chapter hits on Dead Hedge, then it jumps to Karsa, to Draconus, to Icarim, then Mappo, etc, etc.
:lol: That's a pretty good description. First two or three chapters are just rambling and then when he's confused you enough, he throws you back into the stories you know and you breathe a sigh of relief, "Okay... Now I know what's going on."

Sometimes I wonder if Erikson starts out his books like that just to see if his readers will keep reading up to the good stuff that starts after chapter 1 or 2. :lol:

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Just over halfway done, book is fucking fantastic. :yesway:

And I think it's safe to say that the cover art is Yedan Derryg.

·
Super Moderator
13,448 Posts
Probably. But what the hell is that big Balrog of Morgoth thing in the background? White Hounds, Tiste Liosan, and Eleints would all make sense, but a gigantic Balrog? What the fuck? And where is the "shore" or the "wound"? I mean, what has been keeping the world of light and world of dark separate in the picture? And THAT'S a fucking Hust blade?

If that is Yedan Derryg, that artist just totally sucks. Probably didn't even read the novel.

(I'm about 60% into the book right now)

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Probably. But what the hell is that big Balrog of Morgoth thing in the background? White Hounds, Tiste Liosan, and Eleints would all make sense, but a gigantic Balrog? What the fuck? And where is the "shore" or the "wound"? I mean, what has been keeping the world of light and world of dark separate in the picture? And THAT'S a fucking Hust blade?

If that is Yedan Derryg, that artist just totally sucks. Probably didn't even read the novel.

(I'm about 60% into the book right now)
Google confirms it. And yeah, not the best rendition of him, but still a badass scene. I don't know wtf is up with the giant balrog though. :lol:

Spoiler-free, how fucking badass is that scene, really? I always liked Yedan but he was kind of a secondary character. I find myself wishing he was more prevalent in the past books.

I think I'm about the same place you are, and I love the explanation of the Hust swords. You read WoT, right? I have this thought that they're kind of like the whole heron-marked deal, but yeah, in my head it's a lot more badfuckingass looking. :lol:

WHERE THE FUCK IS KALAM :scream2:

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
And the more I look at the picture - it is an Eleint. The balrog-horn to the right, I believe, is actually it's tail, not a Balrog-horn.

·
Super Moderator
13,448 Posts
Not just "where is kalam?" but also: WHERE IS QUICK BEN? WHERE IS KARSA? WHERE IS ICARIUM?

We probably are right around the same part in the books. I haven't read a ton of WoT. I've always liked Yedan. Especially where he goes and massacres all those Shake elders cuz he just doesn't like 'em.

And the more I look at the picture - it is an Eleint. The balrog-horn to the right, I believe, is actually it's tail, not a Balrog-horn.
If that's true, that guy is the #1 worst artist in the world when it comes to drawing dragons. I feel like slapping the dude upside the face.

It's a cool picture if you've never read the book.

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well, we did get a peek at QB, but yeah, agreed. Every mention of him gets me giddy. I was 99% sure he wasn't dead, but with this series, you never know. We still don't know about the whole 12-souls inside him thing.

Icarium I think will be in the final battle (all 2374923874 pages of it, according to my kindle). Karsa I dont't think we will see, since he's off rallying his people and such, and the Toblakai Trilogy is already in the works - I think Erikson/Esselmont are saving him for his own epic set of books (which is fine by me).

But yes, wtb fucking QB/Kalam, like now.

If that's true, that guy is the #1 worst artist in the world when it comes to drawing dragons. I feel like slapping the dude upside the face.
Yes. :lol:

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Also, since you're definitely past it:

When Icarium first pops up, he's chained to a rock and Assail are drinking his blood. Then all of a sudden, Mappo finds him just chilling in the road trying to piece some ceramic jugs back together. I'm assuming there will be an explanation forthcoming, but that was kind of a "Wtf?" moment.

·
Super Moderator
13,448 Posts
We only got one very very short scene with Quick Ben early on in the novel just to let us know he's still alive, and then nothing... And we still haven't gotten a single line from Kalam.

Karsa is one of my top 3 favorite characters, so I'm annoyed with him not in this book. I agree that Icarium will probably be found my Mappo and then go crazy in the final battle--or finally not go crazy... but he'll probably die... cuz if he doesn't, then... what's the point really?

·
Super Moderator
13,448 Posts
Also, since you're definitely past it:

When Icarium first pops up, he's chained to a rock and Assail are drinking his blood. Then all of a sudden, Mappo finds him just chilling in the road trying to piece some ceramic jugs back together. I'm assuming there will be an explanation forthcoming, but that was kind of a "Wtf?" moment.
That part with the ceramic jugs is a flashback to when Mappo first met Icarium a long long time ago.

·
Banned
7,428 Posts
Wirelessly posted (A Destroyer of short people: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

This god sounds like one I can get along with!

·
Super Moderator
13,448 Posts
Wirelessly posted (A Destroyer of short people: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

This god sounds like one I can get along with!
:squint: The voice of someone who has no idea what he's talking about. Methlab-edition.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts