Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
\m/ \m/
5,983 Posts
I think that tune is off his album There's Hope. Marco is the man.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Yup, been out for some time.

This is my least favourite Sfogli track. His playing is good as ever but, for me, the music style doesn't fit with the rest of There's Hope and it breaks up the flow of awesomeness when listening from start to finish.

·
Les Paul Nut
8,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I didn't mean it in a bad way I just like a variety of music and sfogli is just a phenomenal player, I love seeing him play more than just progressive/metal all the time ya know? For example Remarcoble is a perfect example of an album with variety.

·
Head of Agile Gestapo
5,675 Posts
Misleading thread title is misleading. :spock:

·
Premium Member
420 Posts
His playing is good as ever but, for me, the music style doesn't fit with the rest of There's Hope and it breaks up the flow of awesomeness when listening from start to finish.
Well, I doubt it's supposed to. Guthrie has a similar track on Erotic Cakes called "Rhode Island Shred". I think both tracks are done with a sense of humor. Guthrie's definitely is, he talks about it in the liner notes.

I don't think he was being insulting, I agree that There's Hope has kind of a monotonous vibe - he kind of stays in the same realm melodically for most of the album. Hard to describe, but after a few songs, it's kind of like, "ok, i get where this guy is going with this". Whereas on Erotic Cakes, just in the first three tracks, you start out with this

and then you get this funky shit

and then this

I love Marco's playing, but I was only able to listen to There's Hope every once in a while, whereas I never really got tired of Erotic Cakes.

·
Registered
284 Posts
I didn't mean it in a bad way I just like a variety of music and sfogli is just a phenomenal player, I love seeing him play more than just progressive/metal all the time ya know? For example Remarcoble is a perfect example of an album with variety.
Don't worry, I wasn't offended. Each to their own and all that :smoking:

I love Marco's playing, but I was only able to listen to There's Hope every once in a while, whereas I never really got tired of Erotic Cakes.
I guess I'm more into the "normal" Sfogli vibe and can listen to it all day and not get bored. Like I said above, each to their own :metal:

·
Registered
4,429 Posts
Marco is the fucking man :metal: I've been learning Still Hurts the last few weeks. That man has very interesting note selection IMO.

That is some good goddamn chicken pickin' goodness.

·
Bork!
8,292 Posts
Marco is such a fucking asshole. He's just too good. :lol:

I also totally thought this thread was going to be about some meet and greet with Marco in Texas. :rofl:

·
Les Paul Nut
8,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I bet this was a good surprise wasn't it Shawn?

·
Head of Agile Gestapo
5,675 Posts
In a way, yes, since I don't live in Texas and wouldn't have been able to make it to a BBQ meet and greet anyway. At least now I get a sweet song out of the deal! :shrug: :lol:
I'd be there in a minute. :lol:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts