Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
....Is a missed opportunity. I really dig MM too, I think he's talented as hell and have always considered myself a fan. I wanted to like this because the original is so good but this is just lousy. :\ I think Manson of 10-15 years ago would have done this a lot more justice.

The Frog Brothers would not approve.

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
And as much as I hate to say it, this generic bro-rock band did a better job at it.

·
Hates Richie Kotzen
14,719 Posts
That really sucked, then again, I fucking hate Marilyn Manson.

Hard song to cover, one of those songs where a cover is nearly unnecessary (actually, most covers are probably unnecessary :lol:), the only band who did it justice are Tangerine Dream.

The Tangerine Dream cover is a different sort of thing really I guess, if you want to be specific about it. The MM and whatever that other shitty cover are are bands using someone else's music for noterierty and the Tangerine Dream thing is more like, the bands that created that whole scene of synth driven rock (along with Kraftwerk) covering their predecessors.

The Tangerine Dream cover is probably better than the original, though the appeal of the original is nearly all vocal, the instrumentation is kind of a kistchy era appropriate type thing.

Not really surprising Tangerine Dream did more interesting synth instrumentation thouugh, since they are old enough to have been around when synths were invented. :lol: Theirs wasn't incredible or anything, but the original's novelty instrumentation is mainly interesting because of era specific shit like gating.

·
Hates Richie Kotzen
14,719 Posts
Also, not really a fan of any "goth" music besides being a huge fan of Fields of the Nephilim and some Sisters of Mercy, but 69 Eyes are the only band that can do the 80s Goth melded with rock thing. I don't care what anyone says, The 69 Eyes fucking rule.

Their aesthetic is supremly cring inducing, but if people are all about shit like Type O I really don't see why they aren't more accepted in the metal community.

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Uh, the MM cover fucking sucked, but that was definitely worse than his.
Yeah, I was kind of on the fence. :lol: I give the Bro Metal band an edge because at least they tried. The singer even went to Hot Topic and bought a set of sweet fangs.

MM just mailed it in and sang in front of his camcorder while holding a couple of bicycle tail lights. I'm reasonably sure I could reproduce his video with my phone.

·
Hates Richie Kotzen
14,719 Posts
Yeah, I was kind of on the fence. :lol: I give the Bro Metal band an edge because at least they tried. The singer even went to Hot Topic and bought a set of sweet fangs.

MM just mailed it in and sang in front of his camcorder while holding a couple of bicycle tail lights. I'm reasonably sure I could reproduce his video with my phone.
The bro metal cover was funny, because you just know whoever recorded that singer hates his guys and resents the amount of shit they had to pull to get him to sound semi decent.

When he got to the "BLIND BOYS DON'T LIE" part, you just instantly knew, "This guy thinks he is a way better singer than he actually is and everyone around him has to pull shit to keep him in his fantasy world".

He also threw in some "vibrato rich" completely unnecessary YEAH YEAH YEAHS at parts.

I guarantee this band mentions how "professional" they are all the fucking time, there are probably multiple craigslist ads about, "LOOKING FOR A DEDICATED PROFESSIONAL PRO LEVEL BASS PLAYER WITH PRO GEAR WILLING TO COMMIT 100% TO THIS SHARED DREAM. PROS ONLY.".

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The bro metal cover was funny, because you just know whoever recorded that singer hates his guys and resents the amount of shit they had to pull to get him to sound semi decent.

When he got to the "BLIND BOYS DON'T LIE" part, you just instantly knew, "This guy thinks he is a way better singer than he actually is and everyone around him has to pull shit to keep him in his fantasy world".

He also threw in some "vibrato rich" completely unnecessary YEAH YEAH YEAHS at parts.

I guarantee this band mentions how "professional" they are all the fucking time, there are probably multiple craigslist ads about, "LOOKING FOR A DEDICATED PROFESSIONAL PRO LEVEL BASS PLAYER WITH PRO GEAR WILLING TO COMMIT 100% TO THIS SHARED DREAM. PROS ONLY.".
All of this is also true. :lol:

·
Mod Britannia
7,233 Posts
Yeah, Marilyn really phoned it in on this one. I was hugely disappointed as it could have been so damn good :(

1 - 10 of 10 Posts