Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

I don't know why, but he can solo for like the last five minutes of a song and I just sit there and listen. Plus the little licks he throws in everywhere in all of his songs. I can't think of many other guitar players who I can listen to like that, who can keep it catchy, melodic, different, but interesting for more than five minutes.

·
NSLALP
13,286 Posts
I love his movie themes too. The Princess Bride music, and the Local Hero theme are awesome. Private Investigations, Brothers in Arms... great songs, killer lead voice.

·
Mr. Negative Pants, ,
14,796 Posts

Some of my favourite soloing ever. The original studio version has loads of dynamics... you can almost hear his fingers on the strings.

·
crying in your beer
3,782 Posts
Some time ago, sitting with friends at the Pub...suddenly, one started a very unneccesary "shred vs. feel" discussion.... While one of my firends was flooding his "oponent" with arguments for shred over feel etc.etc., Harry said nothing, took then a deep nip from his beer, then finally said "Mark Knopfler.".... the other one stood up and said "fuck you", and went away pissed.

That version is AMAZING....thanks for posting. :wub:

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts
Some time ago, sitting with friends at the Pub...suddenly, one started a very unneccesary "shred vs. feel" discussion.... While one of my firends was flooding his "oponent" with arguments for shred over feel etc.etc., Harry said nothing, took then a deep nip from his beer, then finally said "Mark Knopfler.".... the other one stood up and said "fuck you", and went away pissed.
Hell, the second solo in "Sultans of Swing" is both.

·
Super Moderator
8,927 Posts
He's an amazing player, I think. It's not a question of him playing difficult stuff, but he comes up with perfect solos that most of us couldn't dream up if our lives depended on it.

A little boring in concert, unfortunately.

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
He's an amazing player, I think. It's not a question of him playing difficult stuff, but he comes up with perfect solos that most of us couldn't dream up if our lives depended on it.
Definitely this. Although, doing some of those licks that cleanly and evenly with a clean amp and that kind of plucking hand control is definitely difficult.

·
Mr. Negative Pants, ,
14,796 Posts
I've heard essentially the same thing said about David Gilmour. Anyone can play a David Gilmour solo, but not many of us could write one.

·
NSLALP
13,286 Posts
:agreed: They have a voice. They're not players, they're musicians. Big difference that separates a little wheat from a lot of chaff. Including me. :lol:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts