·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HI was wondering if anyone had any experience with:

Mesa Boogie Tripple Rectifier
Marshall 2203kk
Engl Invader 100 or 150

I am a bit confused, but the difference in price is so big ....

What would you guys suggest for a nice and dirty metal / hardcore sound?
or perhaps another model/type .....

In the shops here they have no idea and just seem to like to sell whatever makes them the most proffit

Many thanks in advance.

·
El Kabong
5,037 Posts
For a "nice and dirty metal / hardcore sound," I'd personally probably go with the Marshall, but see if you can try then out and see what suits you.

·
Premium Member
32,765 Posts
Those are three radically different sounding amps, man. What exactly are you after, tonally?

·
18,790 Posts
Mesa Boogie Tripple Rectifier
Marshall 2203kk
Engl Invader 100 or 150
To be honest, most modern metal/hardcore/deathcore bands are using a Dual or Triple Rect or a 5150/5150 II/6505/6505+, though a few are using the Engl Invader (I can't remember which one of the two most people prefer), and I know that Whitechapel almost used an old Marshall JCM800 on their new album, but I think they went with something else, but it would absolutely work well for it, especially with a Tubescreamer in front of it (that's what my old band's album was recorded with mostly).

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thx for the feedback already guys, but which of the amps gives a nice sound, even when playing at low volumes?

·
Premium Member
367 Posts
Thx for the feedback already guys, but which of the amps gives a nice sound, even when playing at low volumes?
Engl's sound good at low volume.

Also, I believe most people prefer the Invader 100 over the 150 because the 150 is voiced a bit darker. I've only tried the 100 though so I can't personally confirm that.

·
Premium Member
1,588 Posts
All three are very different, if you can try them out thats what i would do.

Out of the three i prefer the Invader, but i think it has a more "polished" European metal sound (Hammerfall / Sonata Arctica). The Marshall or Mesa might be better for hard core stuff.

·
Its Nis Pe, bitch!
605 Posts
If you're after a good metal/hardcore sound I'd go for a used 5150 or any of its derivatives. They'll get you to that typical sound easy as pie and sound pretty good at low volume to boot.

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
Also, yes, the Marshall Power Brakes are bad for amps, but mainly because the load resistor is held on with hot-melt glue and will disconnect when it gets hot, frying your output transformers.

Hotplates and Weber attenuators do not have this problem thankfully.

·
Premium Member
23,428 Posts
Now that I think about it, have you tried the Inrecterfier? I think it's made by Mershangl, but I could be wrong.

·
ɹǝqɯǝɯ ɹɐln&#38
5,486 Posts
hahahaha

if you're going to be playing at low volumes, why not get a badass head as well as something to practice with at home... let's say line6orengl530oraxefxordigitechgsp1101

·
Premium Member
23,428 Posts
Here's a serious answer. Get a fat amp for gigging (say, a Mesa Dual Rec halfstack), then get a Vox combo for practicing at home, like one of these:

vox ad15vt - Google Product Search

Don't bother trying to combine the two. The practice amp will always sound shitty cranked, and the gigging amp will always sound shitty turned way down (if you go with tubes, anyways).

·
Registered
617 Posts
Don't bother trying to combine the two. The practice amp will always sound shitty cranked, and the gigging amp will always sound shitty turned way down (if you go with tubes, anyways).
Yeah if you are serious you should probably get 2 rigs for the best of both. A nice gigging rig should excel at being gigged, I would try and get the best one for that job and not worry about practising through it too.
Honestly if you are split between those heads, you need to go and try stuff out and find what amp companies you like. They are pretty different and a little bit of experience with them will help you make a better decision about what to go for.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts