Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found myself watching videos of Marshall Lead 12 heads and the MG100.

To be honest they sound pretty good.

I can see some pros..... I mean cheap, lighter, no worries of tube failure.

So it got me wondering do you guys have any fav SS heads?

I have a Frankenstein Marshall Lead 12 that needs a jack as it started life as a combo..... someone chopped off the speaker cab and the wire for the speakers was left dangling. I will probably take it in and see if a proper speaker jack can be added. Videos of this thing acutally sound pretty good. Same goes for the MG100.

·
Banned
13,827 Posts
Stay away from the MG line. Way better SS offerings out there IMO. I'd look into Peavey (XXL or some variation of the Bandit or Supreme) or if you're into "that" sound and wanna go Marshall, look into Valvestate (8100, 8200).

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Stay away from the MG line. Way better SS offerings out there IMO. I'd look into Peavey (XXL or some variation of the Bandit or Supreme) or if you're into "that" sound and wanna go Marshall, look into Valvestate (8100, 8200).
How are the VS65 or VS100s or are the 8XXX the ones you like the most?

Is this based on metal tones or more general tones?

·
Not baked anymore.
3,555 Posts
I bought a Peavey XXL back in 2003 with the intention of buying something else to replace it later down the road....that same head is still sitting next to me right now. I've had zero problems with it, aside from some of the jacks getting dirty in the back, but that's expected after 13 years. It's done it's job, it's basically a XXX without tubes. It can be a bit brittle, so the cab choice is going to be important. I've seen them for $150 on Craigslist more than once.

·
Registered
927 Posts
Another bump for the Peavey XXL. Versatile as hell.

Randall also make some really great solid state stuff. Stay away from the cheap-o Marshall stuff.

·
Mod Britannia
7,233 Posts
Avoid the MG's like the plague, they're awful. The Valvestate's are much better. The 8100 and 8200 are the ones that get rated the most, but the VS100 is pretty decent too. I was gifted one earlier in the year (that I subsequently gave to a kid in a local band who didn't have an amp). You can get some good tones out of those

http://www.metalguitarist.org/forum/guitar-gear-discussion/71516-free-amp-day.html

·
Guiterrorizer
15,696 Posts
Not all MG's are shit - i was using my 15 last night to test my board and it sounded fine.

What amps do you have now?

Any effects pedals? ;)

·
Banned
13,827 Posts
^

No, they're crap. :squint:

:lol: Kidding aside, I've owned a 15 a couple years ago as a practice amp, and everything I've bought since (ss amps wise) was way better. YMMV.

How are the VS65 or VS100s or are the 8XXX the ones you like the most?

Is this based on metal tones or more general tones?
Metal tones. I only know about the ones I wrote. Through trying them through the years and through reading about them for more than a decade. I've owned a couple of ss Peavey + Marshall. My favorite was easily the XXL. If you Google "Best ss amps", there is good chances you'll see them in there. Just sayin'.

As someone said, you definitely need to look at Blackstar. Terrific value and tone vs $.

·
Premium Member
1,062 Posts
Try checking out the Boss Katana heads if you can. They do the whole SS Marshall thing pretty well. I've had the 50 watt combo for a few weeks now and it's seriously an awesome amp.

·
Guiterrorizer
15,696 Posts
Frank if you have $300, find a fender champ x2. Hybrid, great cleans and a good dirt pedal will cover the rest of your bases.

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Not all MG's are shit - i was using my 15 last night to test my board and it sounded fine.

What amps do you have now?

Any effects pedals? ;)
So right now I have
50W 5153
Unholy trinity..... molded jtm 45/100
vht 2502 ...... no pre amp at the moment possibly a jmp-1 if the tech can resurrect one that came out of storage

Cab just an evh 5153 2x12

Pedals..... I am assuming just distortion and od

boss blues driver
boss ds 1
Maxon od808
proco rat

Anyways not dying to grab something but just doing some research. I honestly had been anti ss for no good reason as I am realizing there are decent videos out there.

sounds like
marshal 8×××
peavey XXL
crate gx120
randall rg100

are mention ables...... the XXL video I saw that was 20 plus minutes was quite good but honestly there was an equally long video for the mg100 that seemed decent too.

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
if I did get one it would be for convenience...... I hate lugging my gear upstairs when doing a sale..... i don't feel the need for a stranger to see all my gear.

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
Roland JC120.

But a Blackstar HT-5 combo would be more portable :lol:

·
Registered
3,275 Posts
The Marshall Mosfet 100 is another good head. Sounds close to the JCM800. Not 100% there, but very close. The MG series wishes it sounds that good. :lol:

The Marshall 8100 and 8200 are also very nice. That and the Crate GX130C/Ampeg VH140C are '90s Death Metal defined.

The Randall T2/V2 are damn good if you like a smoother modern sound. Sound extremely tubey compared to a lot of SS/hybrid amps. They're like a VHT meets a Triple Recto.

·
Guiterrorizer
15,696 Posts
Since you have dirt pedals that can showcase a potential guitar for sale, I'd even suggest a fender blues jr for $350.

If you want a halfstack in your living room, go all out :lol:

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
You might have a point. I don't enjoy lifting the 2 X 12. Maybe I should just leave a cab there...... let me get you to email my wife.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts