Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Where?!
2,632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

I still find it really fascinating to watch close-ups of this guy's playing, just because there are so many elements in his technique which ought to be recipes for disaster, but actually work in practice.

It's really interesting to see how he often descends through arpeggios with all-downstrokes, like in the clean-toned parts near the beginning. It's also quite interesting to see how many different licks he gets just using variations on a down-down-up mini-sweep.

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts
That ST-2 actually doesn't sound half bad.

·
Premium Member
367 Posts
How the hell are you supposed to right hand mute like that? Answer: You can't.

·
Pallin' around
9,532 Posts
That is why Dave didn't think he was the best Megadeth guitarist. His technique isn't suited for all out muted thrash rhythm guitar stuff.

Marty's phrasing is what makes him phenomenal IMHO though!

·
Premium Member
367 Posts
What I mean is for muting the lower strings during complex leads, not just chugging.

·
Premium Member
1,588 Posts
Ouch, that looks painful.

Is there a video, or any resource that explains his reason for this position?

·
Where?!
2,632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ouch, that looks painful.

Is there a video, or any resource that explains his reason for this position?
He's said a few times that it's because he doesn't like the sound of muted notes, and positions his hand so everything can always ring out. Whenever he played rhythm in Megadeth he'd always adopt a more normal-looking picking style IIRC.

·
Registered
109 Posts
yup he sure did switch up his technique when playing muted notes.

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts
Definitely Friedman. While not efficient, I could pick the way Metheny does. My wrist simply does not want to bend at the angle Friedman's does.

There is a band we often play with in our area named Iris Divine, and the guitarist picks a lot like Marty. The difference is he picks almost over the fretboard, and when he palm mutes, it is actually forearm muting. It's really odd to look at.

·
DOO)))M
7,435 Posts
Looks like Metheny is just really adamant about making sure he goes going between up and down strokes :shrug:

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
This thread is making my tendonitis worse :(

·
Where?!
2,632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
George Lynch is another guy whose picking hand always looks totally crazy to me, although not quite to the same extent as Metheny and Friedman...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts