Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

While we aren't ready to go into too many details just yet, as you saw in the trailer and can tell by the name, this game is very much a new adventure, taking place far away from and long after the events of the original trilogy. You will play a human, male or female, though that's actually not the character you saw in the trailer (more on that later). You'll be exploring an all-new galaxy, Andromeda, and piloting the new and improved Mako you saw. And through it all, you will have a new team of adventurers to work with, learn from, fight alongside of, and fall in love with.

We built this trailer in Frostbite™, our game engine, and it represents our visual target for the final game. We are thrilled by what we've already been able to achieve in bringing Mass Effect to Frostbite and by putting our entire focus on PC and current gen consoles. With the time remaining in development, we're excited about the possibility to push things even more.

Thank you again for all of the support you keep showing us, and we're looking forward to sharing more details with you near the end of the year.

·
Read Only
7,880 Posts
I said I wasn't gonna pre-order this, but I've got some stuff to trade in and all the videos coming out look pretty good.....god dammit. :lol:

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Started playing it last night and got through the first noob mission.

The cutscenes are awesome, and the environments are gorgeous. But man.. These fuckin' character models. :ugh: They all look like they've been jacked up on botox and given about 50 valiums before each scene. Creepy, weird distant looks on their faces, wonky animations and it seems like the characters never look at each other when conversing. I'm playing as the female, and she looks like Chris Pine with a ponytail, and it always half smiling. I will say that the voice actor is pretty solid though.

99.9% of the time I wouldn't give a shit about something this trivial but this is Mass Effect - the characters and plot are a huge part of what makes the games so good. The gameplay is as meh as it's always been but nobody ever played ME because it's a great cover shooter - they play it for the story.

Hoping for the best here. Aside from the horrific character design and some tacky/cheeseball dialog, the gameplay is definitely what I expected. Tons to explore and great looking worlds, along with a pretty cool overall plot.

·
Hates Richie Kotzen
14,719 Posts
^Dude, go look at some of the backlash against it, it's immense.

Unfortunately it was funnier before the Anon/Spergy alt right crowd tried to turn it into another Gamergate by harassing the woman who supposedly did most of the bad models/animation. Had to ruin a good "all in good fun" type situation.

The internet is brutally mocking Mass Effect: Andromeda's animations | PC Gamer

The first movie by the header on that article.... :lol:

·
Read Only
7,880 Posts
The gameplay is as meh as it's always been but nobody ever played ME because it's a great cover shooter - they play it for the story.
It's me, I loved the shooty bits in 2 and 3. :lol: A cover shooter where you can throw spells around or be a biotic pinball = extremely my shit. I also played the shit out of the multiplayer, which I plan to do again. I'm actually really digging the combat in this one - the enemies are a lot more aggressive about flanking and flushing you out of cover, so you really have to make use of that new jetpack.

The in-conversation models are pretty janky at times but I dunno, it doesn't bother me as much as it seems to bother a lot of other people on the internet. :lol: Also I haven't seen any of the really absurd shit everyone has been making gifs of, like the poop-pants run, so I assume most of those are bugs. Basically the equivalent of:

I started as the default male Ryder but I think I'm gonna restart as the sister and make a custom face that's a little less derpy. Scott's voice actor just kinda bugs me for some reason.

And yeah, I really like the setup and general exploration theme on this one. Playing ultra badass chosen one Shepard was fun, but I'm glad they took it in a different direction and did something that's (so far) a little more limited in scope.

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Oh don't get me wrong, I like the "meh" combat, but it's still not Gears of War or anything. :lol:

One of the tips that I found too late was to make your own character instead of using the default - apparently it works better in the cutscenes so they're a little less... Creepy.

·
Read Only
7,880 Posts
Yeah, but you can't be a human pinball in Gears, or launch people into orbit with your mind. It about evens out IMO. :lol:

My one (not actually that) big gripe with the combat is that it felt a little bit...meatier in 3. Enemies would get staggered if you hit them hard enough, and the melee had a really satisfying crack to it. In this one it's much more "shoot them and watch the health bar go down." I got the Krogan Vanguard out of a box in multiplayer and it's just not the same. The headbutt is the normal melee now but it doesn't have the same weight to it, the hilarious backhand slap is gone entirely, enemies don't ragdoll as much on melee kills, and he doesn't laugh maniacally after you bitchslap some mook anymore. :(

Compare this:

to this:

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
^Dude, go look at some of the backlash against it, it's immense.

Unfortunately it was funnier before the Anon/Spergy alt right crowd tried to turn it into another Gamergate by harassing the woman who supposedly did most of the bad models/animation. Had to ruin a good "all in good fun" type situation.

The internet is brutally mocking Mass Effect: Andromeda's animations | PC Gamer

The first movie by the header on that article.... :lol:
I'm intentionally avoiding the internet shit on it, because it's 90% trolls and clickbait articles and I want to form my own opinions. All you need to do right now to fire up your sweet gaming blog is make a post shitting on it and it will get reddit-ed to death. :lol:

Plus I don't want any spoilers. The game is still cool, but they're not wrong about the awful animations.

·
Read Only
7,880 Posts
I'm intentionally avoiding the internet shit on it.
Good call. :lol:

Edit: Oh yeah and they got rid of that thing where you could reach over a piece of cover to grab a guy on the other side, drag him over and shank him with the omni blade. I assume it's because of the new cover system (which I like, overall), but that shit was cool.

...I'm definitely making one of these ASAP.

Mass Effect Andromeda shotgun guide: how to make the best boomsticks in space | PC Gamer

·
Could be Hitler
7,666 Posts
I have only had a few hours with the game and so far I am very iffy on it :(

1 - 20 of 60 Posts