Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi fellas,

This is my take on the classic Master of Puppets middle/solos section. The purpose was to work on my recording/reamping, mixing and mastering skills. The drums, bass and vocals are original stems, I performed all the guitars.

All the distorted tones were reamped from an Axe Fx II - "Mark IV" preset I made with firmware v10.02. The clean tones are produced by a Roland JC120 based patch.

Edit: the "Mark IV" patch is available here: http://axechange.fractalaudio.com/detail.php?preset=1426

Signal chain:
ESP M-II Custom - Axe Fx II - Cubase 7

Care for some constructive feedback?... thanks and cheers!

UPDATE: I added some pics of this custom axe on page 2 of this thread

·
Premium Member
23,428 Posts
:metal:

MUCH cleaner than my old band played it :lol:

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you all for your kind words, it means a lot!

Why aren't there more pics of that custom ESP? HMMMMM?

(super clean playing!!!)
Yeah, I haven't given her proper credit because she's way older than my other ones and I take her for granted (shame) I take a few shots and post them here, or maybe another sub-forum?

·
Super Moderator
8,320 Posts
That was great, man. I dig your patch, too. The solo is played better than the original. Nice going. And, yeah, post pics of that killer guitar. Post them in the Guitar section.

You know some of the bass and some of the riffing isn't quite right in a couple of places? Around the build up chug between the solos. I only mention it 'cause MoP is kind of like sacred territory for metallers. Still an ace job :yesway:

·
Premium Member
5,213 Posts
great tone on the axe fx

i watched this a few days ago on the fractal forum your playing really clean. Cant say i've ever been a fan of Metallica but this vid is great.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
I've been out of town, glad to see you folks liked it, thanks again!

I've uploaded my patch to AxeChange here: http://axechange.fractalaudio.com/detail.php?preset=1426

:metal:

MUCH cleaner than my old band played it :lol:

Playing it live it's a whole different challenge, your old band did an amazing job, you got the crowd going really nice!

You know some of the bass and some of the riffing isn't quite right in a couple of places? Around the build up chug between the solos. I only mention it 'cause MoP is kind of like sacred territory for metallers. Still an ace job :yesway:
Thanks for the feedback... regarding the bass, I used the stem that (I think) comes from Guitar Hero or some similar source so not much I can do there; about the guitar you're right! I played it the way I learned it back in the day (err 1993 maybe :p) from my old Wolf Marshall tabs, but it wasn't until I double checked songsterr.com that I realized the 3rd chord after modulating to F#, it's actually G !! thanks :yesway:. You're the only one that has caught this so far, so just keep it between us :rofl: And yes the C# pairs were intentionally muted since I like that better than open.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts