Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Banned
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Man, do I love these guys. It took me several years and made several different attempts to get into these guys before it finally clicked. Thanks Oblivion. I started with Remission and I'm currently working through Blood Mountain. The stuff these guys come up with...I can't hardly wrap my mind around some of it. I just love their approach to playing and gear choices. Discuss.

·
Premium Member
11,451 Posts
Good for you. I find them to be the single most overrated band in metal, but I'm apparently in the minority on that.

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
Wirelessly posted :)yesway:)

Mike said:
Good for you. I find them to be the single most overrated band in metal, but I'm apparently in the minority on that.
Yeah, I have heard a few albums and just been bored :shrug:

·
Premium Member
11,451 Posts
That's quite a statement. There is a huge pile of overrated metal bands.
Eh, I dunno about that. There's a lot of metal bands, but few get the level of accolades and straight-out press worship Mastodon does*. Since they've done nothing but bore the crap out of me, that makes them the most overrated, IMO.

(*Well, maybe Opeth, but at least Opeth's back catalog has some good stuff in it.)

·
Premium Member
2,232 Posts
Ya , count me in as another who "just doesn't get it" with this band :shrug:

·
Could be Hitler
7,666 Posts
Guy at work used to play this shit over and over...drove me fucking nuts. I introduced him to Crowbar and that was great for about a week, now he plays that over and fucking over....:facemelt:

·
DOO)))M
7,435 Posts
I'm 50/50 on "Leviathan," really got into them with "Blood Mountain," lost my shit over "Crack the Skye" and then totally forgot about them when they released "The Hunter" because it was kind of just an OK album. Dig some tracks from it but nothing to remember the album by.

·
Nerdington Willoughby
1,537 Posts
Mastodon has blown me away since Remission. And I've loved everything up until Crack the Skye, which is mediocre to me.

I'm kind of surprised by some of the responses I've seen to Mastodon. It seems to be equally split between people who love the band, and people who :dgaf:

·
I have angered the Noodles
2,662 Posts
Wirelessly posted

MFB said:
I'm 50/50 on "Leviathan," really got into them with "Blood Mountain," lost my shit over "Crack the Skye" and then totally forgot about them when they released "The Hunter" because it was kind of just an OK album. Dig some tracks from it but nothing to remember the album by.
That's exactly how I feel.

I liked one song on the hunter, black tongue. Everything else was incredibly mediocre and felt fairly half assed after crack the skye

·
Banned
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
:twitch:

I've only heard one or two songs, and that was enough. They're definitely not for me. What's so mind-blowing about them?
I just really dig the stuff they come up with. I found them to have a very unique style and voice as a band. I like unique and original stuff. I've never heard another band that sounds like them. I'm especially impressed with Brent Hinds and his crazy banjo roll, hybrid picking lead licks. YMMV.

·
DOO)))M
7,435 Posts
:twitch:

I've only heard one or two songs, and that was enough. They're definitely not for me. What's so mind-blowing about them?
To be fair, this is their lead guitarists axe, and it's pretty fucking tasty if you ask me

·
Could be Hitler
7,666 Posts
Yeah that Golden Axe is SWEET!:agreed:

1 - 20 of 49 Posts