Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey kids!
So recently i decided to record cover videos for every song on Mastodon's amazing Leviathan, one of my favorite albums. On all these videos, i'm using my Ibanez RG470 swirl with the Dimarzio Titan in the bridge, which sounds absolutely killer! One of my favorite pickups of all time. I'm using my Kemper Profiler here, with a slightly modified Marshall JCM800 Drive profile that i've eq'ed to being closer to the album tone.

I'll post more as i make them, but here are the first 3!

Blood and Thunder:

I Am Ahab:

Seabeast:

·
Imp Slap
2,033 Posts
This is amazing. :yesway: That's one of my favourite albums, and your playing is great as always.

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the views, chums!!!! Really digging the tones, and these songs are just so fun to figure out and play. Mastodon's riffs just don't FEEL like anyone else's, really overlooked guitarists.

Here's installment 4, Island!!!

·
Nerdington Willoughby
1,537 Posts
This thread influenced me to put 10s on one of my RGs last night, tune down to D, and blast some Leviathan riffs. :metal:

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sick! So glad i'm spreading the good gospel of old school Mastodon. Their shit is just so fun to play!!!
Update! This week, we get some Iron Tusk. I think this is probably the most spot-on recreation of the Leviathan tone i've done so far! Thanks for watching, chums.

·
Nerdington Willoughby
1,537 Posts
Do you know what you've done!? I bought thicker low strings to tune to AGCFAD and I've been playing nothing but Mastodon for the last week. :metal:

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Update!!! Sink your teeth into the tasty Naked Burn. Fun tune to play!

Fun fact: i have been using the same set of Ernie Ball M Steel strings for all of these videos; i put them on the guitar sometime in September of last year, and they still sound fresh as a daisy. Insane.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts