Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Ear Punisher
858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've decided to get myself a Randall RD45 Diavlo head and will be getting either a 1x12 or 2x12 cab to go with it. However, I really don't know what to look for when it comes to matching head wattage versus speaker wattage. I know I have to match the speakers ohms to the right output on the head, but what power handling capacity should I look for with this 45watt head?

If I go with a 2x12, I could play it safe and go with the RD212 cabinet. I just question the quality of the Randall speaks. I have also thought of the Randall ISOBox for a 1x12 solution, since it has a Celestion V30 and would help tame the noise a bit at home. Would I be able to crank the amp with that setup, since the speaker is rated for 60watts?

Any other suggestions for around $400.?

·
Retarded P.A Overlord.
14,248 Posts
Can you not score a used mesa 212 for little over $400? I've seen them go for £4-500 over here and I know Mesa prices are usually $1 =/= £1

·
Oh yeah!
1,913 Posts
I would go with a 2x12 unless you go with a ported 1x12. Orange, Mesa, Avatar all make quality 2x12s and go for cheap in the states.

·
Ear Punisher
858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Can you not score a used mesa 212 for little over $400? I've seen them go for £4-500 over here and I know Mesa prices are usually $1 =/= £1
I've not run across one yet for around my budget, but I'm still looking.

(edit) Actually, there are some Mesa Thiele 1x12 cabs on the bay for around my range. Are they any good? Also, I think they are open back. Will that give me a flubbier sound? There is 1 Mini Recto slant cab in my range, but it'll be gone before I get paid most likely.

I would go with a 2x12 unless you go with a ported 1x12. Orange, Mesa, Avatar all make quality 2x12s and go for cheap in the states.
I suppose I can always put it in a closet with a thick blanket over it. I thought about an Orange 1x too.

·
Retarded P.A Overlord.
14,248 Posts
I've not run across one yet for around my budget, but I'm still looking.

(edit) Actually, there are some Mesa Thiele 1x12 cabs on the bay for around my range. Are they any good? Also, I think they are open back. Will that give me a flubbier sound? There is 1 Mini Recto slant cab in my range, but it'll be gone before I get paid most likely.

I suppose I can always put it in a closet with a thick blanket over it. I thought about an Orange 1x too.
Not played the Mesa Thiele's, but they're VERY highly regarded around here, especially running 2 of them together. Avoid the Mini Recto cabs and the Orange 112's.

·
Ear Punisher
858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Think I'll go ahead and go with the RD212. The Randall speaks don't seem to sound too bad from what I've seen, and I can always replace them later if I decide I hate them. I may get to order everything tomorrow if all goes well. Getting the RD45 head, RD212 cab, Digitech Bad Monkey, a set of Audio Technica ATH-M40x Professional Monitor Headphones, and various cables. Can't wait! Thanks guys.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts