Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Is Actually Recording
32,765 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I threw this together for a Mesa Facebook group were I've been talking a lot late;y about how unexpectedly good this mode is for Texas style blues, but I may as well post this here, as well - this mode is just FUN to play through, on a Strat. Glassy, greasy, breaks up in the high end without being all that distorted, very touch sensitive. It's a mode that never really impressed me when I first played it, but as soon as I happened to plug in with something with singlecoils... wow.

·
Premium Member
5,213 Posts
Yeah the guy I sold and ultimately bought back my mk v from was a blues player and he said he lived on that mode. Said he maybe switched to channel 3 twice in the 5 years he had the amp.

·
Is Actually Recording
32,765 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It's this kind of a vibe, I was going after:

...though I'm pushing the gain a hair harder.

·
Premium Member
5,213 Posts
slight derail, whats a good SRV track to learn to get some practice at intermediate blues techniques? I always enjoy listening to him but my actual playing has always been focused on extreme metal styles.

·
I have angered the Noodles
2,662 Posts
0/10 pickguard
10/10 sound and playing.

Will you throw up the settings? I want to see if I can get my V25 sounding like that. I can't dial in a blues tone to save my life.

·
Hates Richie Kotzen
14,719 Posts
Texas style blues
That's just ad guy speak for, "We couldn't get SRV's estate to officially endorse it." masquerading as an important distinction. I would hate to confuse Texas style blues with Ecuadorian Blues, or Canadian Blues, or even Central Mongolian Blues.

Texas Blues is technically stylistically distinct from say, New Orleans Blues, but whenever you see the term in an amp description it's like, "This amp is going to make you, a sophisticated yuppie, into an authentic cowboy badass.".

It's sort of offensive to Texans, because everyone knows you can either be sophisticated, or you can be from Texas. They're opposites. You can't be sophisticated and be from Texas. It's an either/or sort of deal.

You can't play "Texas Style Blues" in a Pink (although they probably call it "heather" in the catalog) Patagonia shirt. That makes it look like your drive a Prius. You can only play "Texas style blues" if your car looks like this.

You need lots of animal bones and turquoise.

Also you need to throw out your regular ties and get Bolo Ties. The Bolo Tie is the symbol of trve American-ness. The Bolo Tie is essentially a giant "Fuck You" to the ties worn by everyone east of the Lousiana Purchase. You guys were like, co-opting European traditions, which is not cool. The Bolo Tie is just a bunch of random shit thrown together that says "Fuck your formal wear". SRV wore Bolo Ties all the time, because he was a real American.

Lastly, technically, if you want to get ultra politically correct about it, traditional "Texas Blues" is Mariachi music. Since it belonged to the Mexicans first. In today's SJW climate, referring to something other than Mariachi music as the traditional "blues" of Texas could be seen as an endorsement of US imperialism.

·
Is Actually Recording
32,765 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Shit Garrett's right. :(

IS there an acceptable t-shirt to play Texas blues in?

·
Is Actually Recording
32,765 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
0/10 pickguard
10/10 sound and playing.

Will you throw up the settings? I want to see if I can get my V25 sounding like that. I can't dial in a blues tone to save my life.
There's a picture at the end pof the video. It's tricky, because the 25 doesn't have the Edge mode... But if you backed the gain far enough off on Crunch, maybe you could get it to work. the 5-band was bypassed.

·
Hates Richie Kotzen
14,719 Posts
Ideally is has to be a suede collared one with fringe, but if you have to go with a T-shirt, luckily we live in a time where quality T-shirts are having something of a renaissance. These days it is incredibly easy to get a shirt appropriate for playing blues in.

These are all blues appropriate attire.

·
Hates Richie Kotzen
14,719 Posts
Can't forget this, this is on the more expensive side of the t-shirt spectrum, but I would view it more as an investment. A shirt of this quality will only go up in value.

·
Super Moderator
7,708 Posts
It just needs the highs rolled off, otherwise killer take Drew. I love this about your playing, I can play blues in a basic pentatonic way, but you actually are an artist with it and it shows. Now can you do a bit more aggressive blues like this on a whole album? I'd buy it! :agreed:

·
Safe Spaces Advocate
3,125 Posts
I'm a novice, but I like this one.

On a slightly more serious note, I'm glad you posted this, Drew. I've been playing around with the Mark V but it's a lot less "set it and go" than the Lone Star. I'd posted on the Boogie FB group I belong to asking for advice on whether I should continue to fiddle with the Mark.

Your video is definitely food for thought. Thanks.

·
Registered
104 Posts
There's a picture at the end pof the video. It's tricky, because the 25 doesn't have the Edge mode... But if you backed the gain far enough off on Crunch, maybe you could get it to work. the 5-band was bypassed.
There's a huge high-end difference between Edge and Crunch. Backing off the gain on Crunch won't get you there.

What did you have your treble set at in the video? Sounds great.

I did not bond at all with Edge mode until I backed the treble way down. I think I usually leave it between 1 and 3 depending upon gain level.

·
Is Actually Recording
32,765 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'm a novice, but I like this one.

On a slightly more serious note, I'm glad you posted this, Drew. I've been playing around with the Mark V but it's a lot less "set it and go" than the Lone Star. I'd posted on the Boogie FB group I belong to asking for advice on whether I should continue to fiddle with the Mark.

Your video is definitely food for thought. Thanks.
Oh shit, that was you? That post was why I did this. :lol: I shared it on the page, but no one seems to have noticed it.

·
Is Actually Recording
32,765 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
There's a huge high-end difference between Edge and Crunch. Backing off the gain on Crunch won't get you there.

What did you have your treble set at in the video? Sounds great.

I did not bond at all with Edge mode until I backed the treble way down. I think I usually leave it between 1 and 3 depending upon gain level.
Yeah, I tried this last night, and found I had to jack up the presence all the way, lower the gain to 9 oclock, ands boost the treble pretty aggressively to get into the same ballpart.

Treble here was a probably at 2 o'clock - if you jump to the end of the video there's a picture. This is bright... But, I suspect, with bass and drums, it would seem less bright under the wash of the cymbals and would instead cut nicely. A lot of the tone for this sort of playing is the treble breaking up before anything else.

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
Yeah, I tried this last night, and found I had to jack up the presence all the way, lower the gain to 9 oclock, ands boost the treble pretty aggressively to get into the same ballpart.

Treble here was a probably at 2 o'clock - if you jump to the end of the video there's a picture. This is bright... But, I suspect, with bass and drums, it would seem less bright under the wash of the cymbals and would instead cut nicely. A lot of the tone for this sort of playing is the treble breaking up before anything else.
It's almost Voxy sounding; similar "blizzard of nails" sound.

·
Is Actually Recording
32,765 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
It's almost Voxy sounding; similar "blizzard of nails" sound.
A little bit, yeah - somewhere between that and a Fender Deluxe, maybe...? It totally wasn't what I expected it to be, and one of the few things I've struggled with about Mesas is so often their tones all sound so very "nice" and rich and polished and lush and everything, that sometimes when you want something a little more raw and ragged, I struggled to find something that worked because the Mesa sounded a little too "nice" for comparison. Something like this, though, dialed in right, really DOES capture some of that "small amp blowing up" sound, and is a perfect compliment to the full, rich, lush sounds I'm getting out of Ch1 and 3.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts