Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Slow Money
14,612 Posts
Wirelessly posted (Hivemind: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

He's fucking hilarious as a person. Ever watch him on fantasy factory. Dude is a goddamn lunatic :lol:

·
DOO)))M
7,435 Posts
Dude's a beast of a player, his live shows are a blast to go to, and even a person he's hilarious/crazy

·
18,790 Posts
I'd love to learn more of this style of playing.

Though, this is really another reason I'm annoyed that Joey Eppard/3 aren't more famous. He's right in this style at times, just with a different sort of voice, and isn't quite a pretty boy like Mayer :lol:

·
Is Actually Recording
32,765 Posts
He's kind of annoying, isn't he? :lol: I remember the first time (only time, really) I saw him live, at the Iron Horse (I think) in Northhampton, probably a year or two before his first album was released but after he'd written the material, demo'd it, and had developed a bit of a Napster following on the college scene.

I'd always written him off as kind of a DMB ripoff, but he blew me away - great performer, but he showed up with a fanned fret Novax and absolutely floored me. In particular, there was a spectacular cover of SRV's "Lenny" between his own tunes...

·
NSLALP
13,286 Posts
I don't know why everyone thinks he's such a douche - he does make funny faces - but even if he is, I think people forget that it often takes a special kind of person, usually one with a large ego, to perform like that in front of crowds like that, and manage a successful solo musical career. :shrug:

Constructive guitar-related input:

·
Super Moderator
8,927 Posts
Even though his music isn't my style at all, he's probably one of the best ambassadors out there for good guitar playing. Think about all those kids out there in the audience who are otherwise exposed only to prefabricated crap these days. If some of those kids are inspired to pick up a guitar and learn to do more than just strum a few chords, then I can live with all of Mayer's pop star silliness.

·
The Singlecut King of Northern VA
2,299 Posts
Not really a douche, just a womanizer, hell he nailed Taylor Swift, my wife and I are betting he was her first by the song she wrote for him on her latest album.

This guy is the biggest douche as a person but man do i love his guitar playing :agreed:

·
Argh
2,658 Posts
I don't see why people think he's a douche; usually it's people misinterpreting his humour.
He is a very good guitarist, writes good songs and is brilliant live. I really like his Continuum album anyways.
And his tone on the lead in Gravity is the tone I wish I had when I play leads. :yum:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts