Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Super Moderator
8,320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought a 2011 MBP, and when booting up, the screen gets filled with progress bars, a bit like the sort of error you can get on Windows:

Progress bar gets to about 50%, then does that and hang for a minute, then starts up and runs seemingly without problems. I know this is a bit vague, but has anyone come across this before?

·
Could be Hitler
7,666 Posts
WHOA! That's killer! :lol:

·
Super Moderator
8,320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, man. :yesway: I'm not a Mac user, really, so haven't seen any of that stuff. I bought it as a Christmas present for my mum, so can't check it too readily. I'll take a look at that stuff when I next visit her.

I was just wondering if that sounded like a known issue, or maybe a precursor to a bigger fault. If it has no other issue, I'd prefer to just leave it then all the back and forth with refunds, repairs, etc.

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
Did you get the two disks it comes with? If it's a 2011, there's an OS disk and a applications/diagnostics disk. The latter can be booted into, and a full hardware test ran. That'll tell you if there's an issue.

If there's not, I would scrap the install on there, and do a fresh load :)D) of MacOS 10.12.

·
Señor Member
12,297 Posts
Do you know what version of OS X you're running? Does this sound anything like what you're experiencing?

https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/fix-resolve-boot-screen-garble.145308/

EDIT: Just realized this is a Hackintosh page, although could still be relevant. IF you're running Yosemite, potentially could be how it normally reacts to wonky graphics driver. Maybe upgrade to El Capitan or Sierra?

·
Señor Member
12,297 Posts
FWIW, I recently had a weird driver issue arise on my MBP where it wouldn't recognize the internal sound hardware no matter how many times I reset NVRAM, PRAM, reflashed kexts, etc. I just backed everything up to an external drive and did a good ol' fashion reformat->reinstall and got it up and running in about an hour.

If the symptoms are confined to what you said, I'd say I'd either wipe and fresh install if you don't have much on it already, or just ignore it and make sure to just keep a backup or OS install nearby incase it finally decides to b0rk.

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
If it's relatively recent, you should be able to hold the Alt key and D, and it'll boot into diagnostic mode, so you can see if it's a hardware issue. I just checked today, and the disks don't seem to work on later versions.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts