Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Read Only
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At least twice per year i like to hit my cars with the compound, polish and wax 3 step deal. it is a good bit of work since you are basically waxing your car three times in a row....

Detailed my car this weekend. Typically I used the Mother's 3 Step system but nobody seems to carry it locally any longer. Read online a lot of people like the Meguiar's stuff so I thought I would give it a go.

Step 1 (Ultimate Compound) Was fairly easy to put on and remove . hid scratches and swirl marks pretty nicely. Had a couple of scratches it did merely ok on .Mothers works better but it may just be more of a result of Nissan's shitty/thin car paint

Step 2 is the Ultimate Polish. Never, ever under any circumstances apply this crap in sunlight. Jesus tap dancing Christ what a total PITA to buff out if it dries even a little bit. I ended up pulling the car back into the garage to finish it and the rest of the application went OK. Thank god I did small sections at a time...

Finished up with Turtle Wax (Ice) Stuff is ok for a non carnuba based wax. water beads with it pretty well but I think i prefer paste wax more tho so I may put a coat of that on next weekend...

I don't have a buffer and apply by hand.... I think i will buy a buffer for the next time I do this.. and i will be using a clay bar when i hit it again in the fall..

·
Bro of Bros, Bro.
15,373 Posts
I like a lot of Meguiar's products. The #26 wax is usually my go-to. The Ultimate Liquid Wax is a little tougher to use, but the bonus is it will touch up black trim.

As far as polishes, I look elsewhere. A lot of guys swear by Menzerna products, and their Power Lock sealant is hands down my favorite. Easy on, easy off.

I don't really spend a lot of time with a DA polisher, but I hear great things about this one coupled with the Lake Country pads. You'll have to pair up your pads with your polishes. I've seen a lot of great results with Menzerna FG400/SI1500, then topped with Power Lock. The good thing is you can run the next product over the old with the orbital, so it eliminates the step of removing.

I'll usually top Power Lock with Collinite's 845 or Meguiar's #26. 845 needs to go on ultra thin, and can be a real pain. Talk about sun? Forget about putting this stuff on if there's a ray of light out, or you'll have ghosting for a week.

I'll be claying and doing a full detail in the next couple of weeks now that pollen season is finally coming to an end.

·
I don't like it.
11,071 Posts
My car has really bad paint on the roof and hood, the previous owner parked it under a pine tree, and that pine sap ate into the finish... What course of attach would you guys suggest? I was thinking I should pick up a DA and buff it out... This picture shows the problem well...

·
Read Only
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I will check out the Menzerna stuff thanks :yesway:
Been reading good things about Chemical Guys Products. Car Wash, Wax, Polishes, Microfiber Towels and Best Auto Detail Supplies - Chemical Guys Professional Car Care Products - Wholesale and Retail

My car has really bad paint on the roof and hood, the previous owner parked it under a pine tree, and that pine sap ate into the finish... What course of attach would you guys suggest? I was thinking I should pick up a DA and buff it out... This picture shows the problem well...

Adam you are going to need a bit of work but I think you can make it look a ton better.

Wash your car , dry it and then hit it with a clay bar.

After claying I Wash mine again to get the bits of clay off as well as the clay lube.

next you are going to want to use some sort of rubbing compound. There are tons of different ones available. Basically you want something that will buff out all of the minor scratches. water spots and swirls. For your car you are probably going to want to apply it with a buffer.

next you are going to want to use a swirl remover/ finishing polish. (this helps hide small scratches and brings back the shine

Next you may want to hit it with an automotive glaze (depending on how it turns out after the previous steps or if you think it looks good enough then hit it with some wax and you are done..

·
I don't like it.
11,071 Posts
Also, can't say enough good things about Menzerna, I use their solid compound to buff all my guitars.

Do you think a cheap buffer would work out? The good ones don't come up on Craigslist very often. That $140 one above looks good, but it's out of budget...

·
NSLALP
13,286 Posts
Meguiar's products are amazing.

Also, the Meguiar's/Fender branded guitar care system was the best ever. It was like the 3-step clean/polish/wax system used for car care, and produced a very shiny guitar finish that lasted a long time. Gotta love carnauba wax. Smells so good... Carnauba Wax+Les Paul case is an intoxicating aroma. :agreed:

·
SLAM NOT GLAM!
1,495 Posts
I like chemical guys products. I've been using their Mr. Pink car wash, Speed Wipe detailing spray, and the Diablo wheel cleaner lately. The Mr. Pink foams up nice with a foam gun. The best deal I've found is buying by the gallon on Amazon. Meguiar's Ultimate Compound is also good.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts