Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Administrator
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

This is in regards to ads when signing up for a membership on MG. In the past, when purchasing a subscription, you would get the perks of having no ads shown on the forum. However, this is now changed. When a member purchases a membership, they will see less ads than a regular member or guest.
Note that if you're logged off, you will notice more of these.

EDIT: Ads will not be removed soon for lifetime supporters! (PENDING)

·
Premium Member
1,225 Posts
Hello everyone,

This is in regards to ads when signing up for a membership on MG. In the past, when purchasing a subscription, you would get the perks of having no ads shown on the forum. However, this is now changed. When a member purchases a membership, they will see fewer ads than a regular member or guest.
Note that if you're logged off, you will notice more of these.
FTFY

:monocle:

·
Parental Advisory
288 Posts
In the past, when purchasing a subscription, you would get the perks of having no ads shown on the forum. However, this is now changed. When a member purchases a membership, they will see less ads than a regular member or guest.
Two things. One, these ads are stupidly intrusive. Registered or not, the site looks like a gawker page half the time, and the ads aren't even remotely relevent.
mg ads.jpg

Two - I spent money that I earned with part time work through college to support this forum. When I purchased the membership, one of the things that it specifically stated was included was no adverts. I bought a "lifetime" membership, so what I'm now being told is that my lifetime membership has been cancelled, and replaced with a new one with adverts - this despite the fact that the reason I got it in the first place was to make up for the fact that I used an adblocker so the site got no revenue from me.

Not going to lie, this whole thing is leaving me feeling ripped off.

·
Administrator
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Two things. One, these ads are stupidly intrusive. Registered or not, the site looks like a gawker page half the time, and the ads aren't even remotely relevent.
View attachment 26218

Two - I spent money that I earned with part time work through college to support this forum. When I purchased the membership, one of the things that it specifically stated was included was no adverts. I bought a "lifetime" membership, so what I'm now being told is that my lifetime membership has been cancelled, and replaced with a new one with adverts - this despite the fact that the reason I got it in the first place was to make up for the fact that I used an adblocker so the site got no revenue from me.

Not going to lie, this whole thing is leaving me feeling ripped off.
Hello there,

If you're logged in, you shouldn't see that certain type of ad.
Were you logged in or were you logged out? What browser and device are you using?
I gave this a test on my end and if I logged out, I would see those ads.

Ed

·
Parental Advisory
288 Posts
Turns out Edge had auto-logged me out. :roll2:

I "just" get this when logged in on Edge:
mg ads 2.png

Since you've ignored the rest of my post - how exactly does this work for those of us who bought a membership BEFORE this change? You can see the start and end dates of my membership here, so why exactly is the content of it changing in the middle of the time period I paid for?
mg membership.png

·
Administrator
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks,

I asked for some insight on this and I got the green light to get the ads removed for lifetime supporters.
I am escalating a ticket to get this done.

Please standby for more updates.

Ed

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Thanks,

I asked for some insight on this and I got the green light to get the ads removed for lifetime supporters.
I am escalating a ticket to get this done.

Please standby for more updates.

Ed
Any update or progress on this? I am still seeing ads showing on mobile enhanced view.

·
Administrator
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for the heads up,

Just to clarify, were you logged in?
If so, I'll have to get that escalated.
As far as I'm aware, if you're accessing the site through desktop view, you shouldn't be seeing them.

Ed

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Yes I was logged in. I haven’t seen any issues yet on desktop or regular mobile view, it was just enhanced mobile view (which per Chris’ suggestion I’ve stopped using).

1 - 14 of 14 Posts