Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been a huge Sketchers guy forever, because they're all around $40, are comfy as hell and last forever. I own about 5-6 pairs of their semi-casual shoes, and love 'em.

But I finally got a bad pair of hiking boots, and decided to splurge a little and grab a pair of these Merrells

After 3 pairs of the same Skechers, the ones I got about 2 weeks ago (after retiring my last pair after a year because I wore 'em without socks one too many times :lol:) were just crazy uncomfortable and just didn't fit right. So $80 beans later, I grabbed some Merrells from the local mall and holy fucking crap are they comfortable! :metal:

After 2-3 days, my feet feel cooler (the ones I have are "the ventilator") and man, are they immediately comfy out of the box. :yesway:

I know Drew prefers to wear wing tips 24/7, but for the rest of us, I recommend trying a pair of these out. They're expensive but so far I really dig the shit out of them.

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
I have Merrell slip-on shoes that I've used for ages, and the hiking boots are awesome. If I didn't have a great set of Vasque hiking boots already I'd have a pair of Merrells.

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Nice. I go through hiking shoes like there's no tomorrow. I'll have to check these out. :yesway:
Same here. Skechers usually last me about a year, and I chuck 'em because they either smell bad or just get too beat up from stomping around in the desert, and for $40 it's just easier to get a new pair. :lol:

These, I hope, will last a bit longer. Payin' $80 for shoes makes me sad. :(

·
Premium Member
32,765 Posts
I know Drew prefers to wear wing tips 24/7, but for the rest of us, I recommend trying a pair of these out. They're expensive but so far I really dig the shit out of them.
Kindly smoke my pole, good sir. I've worn variations of those in the past too (and in fact am about due to buy a new pair), and they fucking rule. I whole-heartedly support this recommendation.

My current pair are, as memory serves, North Face, but it's about the same difference.

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts
I've been really impressed with the Merrells, but they just don't fit my feet right. I wound up with a set of Vasques instead, but my wife is really happy with her Merrells.

·
NSLALP
13,286 Posts
The Vibram treads are an amazing polymer. They have ridiculous wet traction. They licensed the technology or something from the Vibram Five Fingers barefoot shoes.

·
It's not lupus.
1,689 Posts
These, I hope, will last a bit longer. Payin' $80 for shoes makes me sad. :(
The last pair of boots I got cost me close to $150. I was initially saddened by that, but I'm still wearing them almost daily three years later... and they're just now starting to wear out. That's a bit more expensive than the Sketchers alternative, but these were lighter, use goretex, and are a hell of a lot more comfortable to wear for 12 hours at a time. It was amazing going to these from the Sketchers I used to wear... My feet felt better, but so did my back.

It's definitely worth the extra money for some well-made shoes.

·
NSLALP
13,286 Posts
My Keen hiking sandals were about $80 or $90, and they've been my primary summer footwear (socks or not! :p) for 3 years. The treads are getting a little worn, but they continue to navigate all terrains and are still comfy and holding up perfectly. You do tend to get what you pay for, and this is definitely a product where that maxim holds. :yesway:

·
Premium Member
500 Posts
I have almost the exact same shoe and they are worth every dollar and then some. They also hold up very well. I picked up a pair of Merrells last summer and I use them for work, casual time, and hiking, which I do a ton of. The soles are still in great shape and I have yet to see a tear or loose thread. They are probably the best all-purpose shoe I have ever owned.

If you ever want to get something that will last an eternity, or damned close grab a set of these:

Vasque Shoes - 7142 Vasque Men's - Sundowner GTX Burgandy

I did the 100 highest in New England and all 46 Adirondack 4000 footers with ONE pair of these things between 1994 and 2007. They are virtually indestructible and one pair can last you a lifetime if you take care of the leather. :metal:

·
Premium Member
32,765 Posts
Nice. How much do a set of those cost? I have a pair of these:

Which I've really just broken in, but so far I dig. :D

·
Guiterrorizer
15,696 Posts
I think I may get some Merrell's for my landscaping job and any trips where hiking footwear may be required. I'm not sure what the other guys wear, but my workboots are toast.

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well, I made this thread from Arizona last year, and just about a year later, in the same store in Arizona, I just picked up these.

My first pair is still comfy as hell and holding up well, but since I wear them all the fuckin' time, I figured I'd make a yearly tradition of buying a new pair every time I come out here. :yesway:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts