Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
המרחב וה
2,061 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)

Remember a video being posted about this head the potential it may hold.

Well Loomis & Merrow certainly utilized it. Check it out. Great tone all around. :yesway:

I never get tired of watching these two make vids together. :metal:

EDIT: When one of them edits the sound near the end, it is insane to see how clean Loomis's lead playing really is.

·
המרחב וה
2,061 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Jeff is just a monster player isn't he? I'm pretty confident that guy could play pretty much anything and nail it. Such a beast technically.

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts
Wirelessly posted :)dio:)

He may be a monster technician, but he's boring ad hell. :dgaf:

·
Sir Groove-A-Lot
Charvel So Cal & San Dimas
6,916 Posts
I have nothing to base this on besides pure conjecture from the buzz currently surrounding it, but something in my gut tells me this amp is the next flavour-of-the-month bit of gear, and people will soon come back to their Laney Ironhearts (last month's flavour-of-the-month bit of gear). Not saying for a second that neither of those amps are great, but it's just the way things seem to be shifting lately. :shrug: Since the Axe FX and Kemper craze, the amp market is completely on its arse :lol:

·
Registered
4,429 Posts
The amp has no real personality to it. My guitarist had one for a while. It was like a simple, boring recto in a way.

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
I'm never not amazed at Jeff Loomis. Dude is an animal.
Double negative is painful.

I have nothing to base this on besides pure conjecture from the buzz currently surrounding it, but something in my gut tells me this amp is the next flavour-of-the-month bit of gear, and people will soon come back to their Laney Ironhearts (last month's flavour-of-the-month bit of gear). Not saying for a second that neither of those amps are great, but it's just the way things seem to be shifting lately. :shrug: Since the Axe FX and Kemper craze, the amp market is completely on its arse :lol:
I love the Archon. It's got a Recto meets Plexi feel, like the midrange snarl of a modded Plexi, with the chewiness of a Rectifier. You really have to play one in person, because they've yet to sound in videos how they do in person.

EDIT

BTW, the video in the OP is just another example of those two guys making an amp sound like they always do. Not really a good representation of the tones available, IMO.

4,429 Posts
Wirelessly posted :)dio:)

He may be a monster technician, but he's boring ad hell. :dgaf:
I've always really dug his music, this is less up my alley than his Nevermore stuff, and I can't listen to his stuff for more than an hour every once in a while, but when I do I always really enjoy it.

·
Sir Groove-A-Lot
Charvel So Cal & San Dimas
6,916 Posts
Double negative is painful.

I love the Archon. It's got a Recto meets Plexi feel, like the midrange snarl of a modded Plexi, with the chewiness of a Rectifier. You really have to play one in person, because they've yet to sound in videos how they do in person.

EDIT

BTW, the video in the OP is just another example of those two guys making an amp sound like they always do. Not really a good representation of the tones available, IMO.
I don't deny it sounds great, as I said, I just don't think it's got enough personality or uniqueness to stand on its own against the tried and tested standards, especially in this day and age. Where the fucking fuck are Schecter Amplification now? They practically got laughed out of NAMM. I suppose PRS are seen as a more serious company but I fear this will suffer the same fate.

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
I don't deny it sounds great, as I said, I just don't think it's got enough personality or uniqueness to stand on its own against the tried and tested standards, especially in this day and age. Where the fucking fuck are Schecter Amplification now? They practically got laughed out of NAMM. I suppose PRS are seen as a more serious company but I fear this will suffer the same fate.
Could be. I found it to be unique enough that I wouldn't mind the 25w version though. I also think that the Schecter stuff wasn't marketed well, they picked the wrong guy to be the face of it (Synester Douche), and they were/are way too expensive for Chinese amps.

·
Premium Member
2,996 Posts
Cool tones and cool riffs. Approved!

These archons have been getting trendy for a while now, matt. I like what I've heard, but they're nothing ground breaking. They sorta remind me of my VHT actually - dry, tight, punchy, slightly dark. Pretty cool. Not rushing to find one to buy though.

·
Retarded P.A Overlord.
14,248 Posts

These archons have been getting trendy for a while now, matt. I like what I've heard, but they're nothing ground breaking. They sorta remind me of my VHT actually - dry, tight, punchy, slightly dark. Pretty cool. Not rushing to find one to buy though.
You've just described the main reason I want to try an Archon :lol:

·
Banned
21,673 Posts

Very good description. One of the drier amps I've played, and definitely tight and punchy.

·
Super Moderator
2,037 Posts
I don't like the tone, myself. Sounds dry and crispy with a top-end fizz I can't get behind.
They're both monster riffers, albeit everything Loomis plays sounds like Loomis - but even that can't sell me on an Archon. :shrug:

1 - 20 of 37 Posts