Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found a mesa 50 / 50 (older model), in good shape / and with new tubes in it for $320..:cool:

It seems like a great deal, but is this a good choice for the AXE FX?

And can i still use amp modeling and cab modeling?

·
Mr. Negative Pants, ,
14,796 Posts
Generally, if you're using a guitar power amp, you'd only run the power amp and speaker sims on your full-range direct out.

I think Vince runs that setup.

·
Registered
371 Posts
That would be a great setup. My other guitarist runs that exact rig and loves it. I have a 2:90 and actually run the poweramp sims with no thump and I love how it sounds that way.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Running poweramp sims with a tube power amp is really a question of taste rather than rules. Since I'm not running my 2:90 hard at all for gigs, the poweramp sims work nicely to get some of that power tube break up at lower volumes. Since I'm running everything through a 4X12 though I never use the cab sims when I'm going through the 4X12 and that IS a pretty standard rule.

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
Vince runs the 2:90 though.

·
Premium Member
1,588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Running poweramp sims with a tube power amp is really a question of taste rather than rules. Since I'm not running my 2:90 hard at all for gigs, the poweramp sims work nicely to get some of that power tube break up at lower volumes. Since I'm running everything through a 4X12 though I never use the cab sims when I'm going through the 4X12 and that IS a pretty standard rule.
Do you mic the AXE or go direct into the board?

I was thinking of using my 4x12 to monitor on stage and going direct to the board..

would this set up with this power amp work ok that way?

Here are some photo of it, 320 seems like a really fair price.. if i don't like it i can always sell it for what i got it for and grab another amp

Here are some photos he sent me:

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
Just to let you know, Samer, apparently the 2:90 is the amp that they use at Fractal when tweaking and designing models.

The 50/50 is a decent poweramp, but I'd either go big tube (2:90) go small tube for "character" (20:20 or Marshall 20/20) or go big SS (Carvin DC1540L).

·
Registered
371 Posts
Just to let you know, Samer, apparently the 2:90 is the amp that they use at Fractal when tweaking and designing models.

The 50/50 is a decent poweramp, but I'd either go big tube (2:90) go small tube for "character" (20:20 or Marshall 20/20) or go big SS (Carvin DC1540L).
I really think that the 50/50 will do "big tube" fine and at that price you could always sell it if you didn't like it and easily make your money back.

As far as running direct and through the amp, you can do that but your going to have to run the poweramp sims in order to make the direct tone sound natural. This may effect your tone through the 50/50 and 4X12.

·
Premium Member
1,588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I think i'm going to go ahead and pull the trigger on this power amp and see how it works out (its too good of a deal to pass up).. :)

·
Mr. Negative Pants, ,
14,796 Posts
It looks super-clean... i'm sure at 50 watts a side, that Mesa will have no problem giving you the power you need.

You can run a "hybrid" setup by doing this:

Put an effects loop module right before your power amp and cab sims. Plug your power amp and cabs into the effects loop.

With nothing plugged into the effects return, the Axe is smart enough to know you're using the effects send as an auxiliary out, and passes the signal through to your amp and cab sims and the main outputs in addition to sending the signal out through the effects send.

With this kind of setup, you can do exactly what you want to do: Use the Mesa and 4x12 to monitor on stage, and send a direct signal to the house. Best of both worlds! :yesway:

·
Premium Member
1,588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
It looks super-clean... i'm sure at 50 watts a side, that Mesa will have no problem giving you the power you need.

You can run a "hybrid" setup by doing this:

Put an effects loop module right before your power amp and cab sims. Plug your power amp and cabs into the effects loop.

With nothing plugged into the effects return, the Axe is smart enough to know you're using the effects send as an auxiliary out, and passes the signal through to your amp and cab sims and the main outputs in addition to sending the signal out through the effects send.

With this kind of setup, you can do exactly what you want to do: Use the Mesa and 4x12 to monitor on stage, and send a direct signal to the house. Best of both worlds! :yesway:
WOW Darren.. thanks for the idea! That's exactly what im going to do :yesway: :metal:

·
Registered
4,184 Posts
you will want to do as darren said but leave the power am sims on and just have the cab voicings be sent to FOH. Vince showed me the difference with out them on and it sounds super digital and blah without them.

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
I think i'm going to go ahead and pull the trigger on this power amp and see how it works out (its too good of a deal to pass up).. :)
If you do not like it, you will sell it to me for a reasonable price, right? Right????

1 - 20 of 63 Posts