Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Super Moderator
8,320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just been looking into Mesa 1x12 cabs, and I noticed the cab Petrucci uses in the 'proto playthrough' video doesn't seem to be available here in the EU. Looks like he's using the Recto 1x12, but all I can find here is the Mini-Recto 1x12

They look to be the same according to the specs listed on Mesa's site, but presumably there's a difference between the two if they're both part of the current line up.

Anyone know what the difference is, besides the obvious slight cosmetic ones?

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts
Wirelessly posted :)dio:)

Avoid the Mini Recto cab. Very boxy sounding.

·
The Singlecut King of Northern VA
2,299 Posts
Just been looking into Mesa 1x12 cabs, and I noticed the cab Petrucci uses in the 'proto playthrough' video doesn't seem to be available here in the EU. Looks like he's using the Recto 1x12, but all I can find here is the Mini-Recto 1x12

They look to be the same according to the specs listed on Mesa's site, but presumably there's a difference between the two if they're both part of the current line up.

Anyone know what the difference is, besides the obvious slight cosmetic ones?
The one he is playing in the play through is the Mini Recto Slant, live he uses two regular 1x12 recto cabs with two 1x12 mini slants, the slants are stacked on top of the regular 1x12's. Here is a screen shot from the play through where they point out it is the Mini Slant.

As to the differences, they are minor but I am assuming the normal 1x12 has a bit more bottom end and a little bit looser mids since it has just a tad more internal volume being 3 inches thicker (back to front). FYI here in the states it is not available either unless you order it direct, or at least no music stores online have them in stock or even list them. Here is side by side the regular recto 1x12 on the left and the Mini Slant on the right.

·
2,299 Posts

Sounds very boxy with the Mini rectifier, however sounds great with Mark V Mini, however the Thiele also sounds great with more bottom end however people have reported it getting lost in the mix when they go up against another guitarist in their band that is using a V30 cab.

·
Super Moderator
8,320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The one he is playing in the play through is the Mini Recto Slant, live he uses two regular 1x12 recto cabs with two 1x12 mini slants, the slants are stacked on top of the regular 1x12's. Here is a screen shot from the play through where they point out it is the Mini Slant.

As to the differences, they are minor but I am assuming the normal 1x12 has a bit more bottom end and a little bit looser mids since it has just a tad more internal volume being 3 inches thicker (back to front). FYI here in the states it is not available either unless you order it direct, or at least no music stores online have them in stock or even list them. Here is side by side the regular recto 1x12 on the left and the Mini Slant on the right.
:yesway:

Now you post that, I remember that. And that'll be why I've been defaulting to that cab. Doubt was cast just now, though, when I saw this photo on this page about the playthrough:

I guess that's just taken before or after the main video, though.

Have you not watched the video?!

:damn2:

·
2,299 Posts
:yesway:

Now you post that, I remember that. And that'll be why I've been defaulting to that cab. Doubt was cast just now, though, when I saw this photo on this page about the playthrough:

I guess that's just taken before or after the main video, though.

Have you not watched the video?!

:damn2:
Kinda weird because at one point in the video it looks like they switched to the regular and then went back to the slant, either that or they edited it and it is out of order. (Edit around the 7.22 minute you see he is using the regular)

The Mark Mini sounds very good through the slant Mini 1x12, I bet it sounds a lot better through the regular Recto 1x12 and I want one so bad but cant find any around me and I hate paying full price, so just have to keep waiting for a used one to come up.

·
Super Moderator
8,320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I think it's different points in the day. It seems like they switch the cab out later in the session (seems he has his luscious hair down at the start, when he first tries it, then ties it back for business later). It's odd that with both cabs, they rest a head on them that's obviously not being used. Either that, or the cab we're hearing is off screen, and that cab and head is for something else. Quite the epic mystery!

·
2,299 Posts
OK just rewatched the video, first time you start to see the regular Recto 1X12 is about the 7 minute and 20 second mark, then around 15 minutes and 24 seconds he switches to the 4x12. I hate to say it but I think I like the Slant recto better as it seems to have more mids and sizzle, but of course Mic'd up with a 57 both would sound about the same. I would love to do what he does, well except only 2 cabs, one Mini Rec cab and one regular rec 1x12 for playing at home or live with no mic. If i was going to be mic'd up I would still use both but mic either cabinet.

·
2,299 Posts
I think it's different points in the day. It seems like they switch the cab out later in the session (seems he has his luscious hair down at the start, when he first tries it, then ties it back for business later). It's odd that with both cabs, they rest a head on them that's obviously not being used. Either that, or the cab we're hearing is off screen, and that cab and head is for something else. Quite the epic mystery!
I think it is just a place to store that head, because when they switch to the 4x12 they move the Mic's, see my up top post for the times when they switch the cabinets around.

·
Registered
3,806 Posts
They're neat cabs. The distributor here has them in stock, too bad by the time t got shipped to you it would work out to something like £800.

·
2,299 Posts
FYI both Dave and Mike are using a blackheart 1x12 with a mesa V30 in them and they love them, looking at the diminsions both the Blackheart and the regular Mesa rectifier 1x12 have the same internal volumes, actually the black heart just a tad bit bigger. The black heart is 21X20X11=52 With Total box volume = 2.674 Ft3 where the Mesa is 18 1/3x18 2/3x 14= 51 With Total box volume =2.771 Ft3

EDIT**** Just checked the Mesa 1x12 wide body closed (ported) and half open back cabs (not ported) are both roughly the same internal volume as the blackheart 1x12 and roughly the same as the Mesa Rectifier 1x12. Only difference is they come with a C90 stock so you would have to swap that out for a mesa V30.

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
FYI both Dave and Mike are using a blackheart 1x12 with a mesa V30 in them and they love them, looking at the diminsions both the Blackheart and the regular Mesa rectifier 1x12 have the same internal volumes, actually the black heart just a tad bit bigger. The black heart is 21X20X11=52 With Total box volume = 2.674 Ft3 where the Mesa is 18 1/3x18 2/3x 14= 51 With Total box volume =2.771 Ft3

EDIT**** Just checked the Mesa 1x12 wide body closed (ported) and half open back cabs (not ported) are both roughly the same internal volume as the blackheart 1x12 and roughly the same as the Mesa Rectifier 1x12. Only difference is they come with a C90 stock so you would have to swap that out for a mesa V30.
You can order any Mesa cab with any Mesa speaker.

·
2,299 Posts
The best tones in the video are through the slant. It's tight, tight, tight, like Tuco. I'm just going to have to scoop one of those up.
I agree with you, I own two of them :) And if you want to make it sound a bit deeper just throw some poly-fil in it

·
Banned
3,697 Posts
Lee by the looks of it gak have both in stock with £40 off the price of the full size. Its 100 yards from your house. Go try them both.

Slacker.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts