Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 131 Posts

·
\m/ \m/
5,983 Posts
These load box cab sim units are really starting to spark my interest.

·
Registered
3,806 Posts
Something that's always pissed me off about most load boxes is they only go up to 100w. Many companies who make high gain amps go to 120-180w, IE Triple Rec, 5150/6505, Uberschall, Ironheart etc etc. You'd think they'd at least make them capable of handling 150w to cover most larger amps. :rant:

·
Could be Hitler
7,666 Posts
It still sounds as though it has that simulated cab sizzle that I can't stand. This is why the Torpedo is so high on my list, it's the only way to go IMO if you want a true amp sound and feel.

·
Reverend Secret Flower
11,836 Posts
It still sounds as though it has that simulated cab sizzle that I can't stand. This is why the Torpedo is so high on my list, it's the only way to go IMO if you want a true amp sound and feel.
Yea, and its like $1000+ :lol: Wayyyyyyyy too much for what it does.

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
Something that's always pissed me off about most load boxes is they only go up to 100w. Many companies who make high gain amps go to 120-180w, IE Triple Rec, 5150/6505, Uberschall, Ironheart etc etc. You'd think they'd at least make them capable of handling 150w to cover most larger amps. :rant:
Unless you're diming the volume, the difference between 100 and 120 isn't going to matter.

Do want. Sometimes the 5150 III is just too loud.
This looks to be just a load box, not an attenuator. Basically Mesa's take on the Palmer PDI-03.

·
Registered
3,806 Posts
Unless you're diming the volume, the difference between 100 and 120 isn't going to matter.

This looks to be just a load box, not an attenuator. Basically Mesa's take on the Palmer PDI-03.
20% difference in terms of power isn't exactly insignificant and could cause one hell of a massive pop. I remember when I was doing my ADip in Electronic Engineering having the teacher show us the marvels of exploding resistors and caps that were subject to higher loads than rated. Hell, all it takes is another 50w resistor for like $10 wholesale and they could have made it rated to 150w. I have a few large resistors like what they use in this that I use for biasing my amps and I would never run a 120w head into a 100w resistor stack.

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
Who is a good dealer to contact for this? I have mom and pop shops that dont stock this sort of thing, or guitar centers in my location.
Sweetwater. I've already got a request in for price/ETA.

20% difference in terms of power isn't exactly insignificant and could cause one hell of a massive pop. I remember when I was doing my ADip in Electronic Engineering having the teacher show us the marvels of exploding resistors and caps that were subject to higher loads than rated. Hell, all it takes is another 50w resistor for like $10 wholesale and they could have made it rated to 150w. I have a few large resistors like what they use in this that I use for biasing my amps and I would never run a 120w head into a 100w resistor stack.
Again, as long as you're not playing at 8-10 on the dial, it's not going to matter.

I ran a 120w JSX into a 100w rated attenuator for over a year at 5 on the dial. No problems.

·
Is Actually Recording
32,765 Posts
Let me know what it comes in at, Jeff. Interesting...

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
Hmmmm. I wonder if you HAVE to put it into a cab, or if it can sink all the power on its own.
Cab is optional. It'll replace for direct/FOH. It's nearly the same thing as a PDI-03. Hopefully it'll be cheaper than the Palmer for US domestic folks.

EDIT $299, separate 4, 8, 16 ohm versions ala Hot Plate. End of August/September.

·
Super Moderator
8,320 Posts
Hmmmm. I wonder if you HAVE to put it into a cab, or if it can sink all the power on its own.
Looks like it's a full loadbox, not an attenuator, so you don't need to have a cab connected to use your amp.

It's strange that, even after a couple of years, Torpedo are essentially the only player in this game that allows you to load custom impulses. It's a shame they see fit to prepare your wallet. I'd jump on one of those if they were about half their price.

This sounded pretty good, and the headphone option is pretty nice. But the lack of DI out would put me off. Most likely its price will, too.

Edit: ninja'd. And cool to see the price is so low. That's very competitive.

·
Bork!
8,292 Posts
What a killer price for something like that. Very cool. I'm intrigued to hear clips after a bunch of you guys buy this thing.

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
The Torpedo is no doubt a lot more flexible, but it's also more than three times the price. The analog cab modeling still seems to very much be alive, with the CabClone, the Rock Crusher Recording, and the Radial Headload coming soon.

·
Reverend Secret Flower
11,836 Posts
well cant you take the signal out jack for a separate power amp and route it to your daw, bypassing the cabs so you can still use impulses?

I'm totally getting this as soon as i can. It would be perfect for my situation

1 - 20 of 131 Posts