Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Les Paul Nut
8,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what's the difference betweeen these 2 amps? I've always had an interest in these 2 amps but never really looked into the differences, both look like they may have similar control layouts.

·
Premium Member
5,213 Posts
the road king lets you assign poweramp tubes to channels

so you can run a channel with 4 6l6 or 2 6l6 and 2 el34

unlike most other amps it comes with these tubes in it to start with so you dont actually have to choose what you want to load it with it comes with 4 6l6 and 2 el34s in it to begin with

i think thats a very rough idea of how they differ - the roadster is just loaded with 6l6's and has the option of switching to el34s if you prefer

·
Les Paul Nut
8,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
what about soundwise, are they the same or any differences?

·
Read Only
3 Posts
Noodles had a Roadster and I have a Road King. We A/B'd them back to back with the same cab and same guitar. Using the same tubes (4 6L6s) we could get the amps to sound nearly identical. The settings of the knobs were slightly different, but the differences were no more than you would get if you compared two Road Kings.

The real difference is that with the Road King, you have the option of using a mixture of 6L6s and EL34s which really does give you the best of both worlds.

·
Les Paul Nut
8,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
whats the wattage on the Road King? also is it available in 1x12 format?

·
Read Only
3 Posts
whats the wattage on the Road King? also is it available in 1x12 format?
It varies, depending on the tube compliment you enable for each channel. It can be 50 (2 EL34s or 2 6L6s), 100 (2 EL34s + 2 6L6s or 4 6L6s), or 120 (2 EL34s + 4 6L6s). It's available as a head or a 2x12, but not a 1x12.

·
Les Paul Nut
8,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
sweet, thanks the info Matt most appreciated.

·
Les Paul Nut
8,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
:rofl:

I need to do some hands on testing to see how they sound to my ears.

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
Also, trust me you don't want a Roadster/Road King combo. Get a head/cab setup. Much easier to schlep.

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts
The real difference is that with the Road King, you have the option of using a mixture of 6L6s and EL34s which really does give you the best of both worlds.
That two of each blend makes for some of the most awesome lead tone ever. :agreed:

·
THUNDERBEEEEAR!
3,920 Posts
So the road king is the logical choice for versatility? Or did i just get it completely fucking wrong (again)?

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
schlep or schlepp also shlep Slang
v. schlepped also shlepped, schlep·ping or schlepp·ing also shlep·ping, schleps or schlepps also shleps
v.tr.
To carry clumsily or with difficulty; lug.

·
THUNDERBEEEEAR!
3,920 Posts
Correct. Not that the roadster is a one trick pony, but the RK has more options.
Thx, I had the opportunity to test some of my guitars through a triple rec and a lonestar tonight at practice.... All I can say is wow.

·
Les Paul Nut
8,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
schlep or schlepp also shlep Slang
v. schlepped also shlepped, schlep·ping or schlepp·ing also shlep·ping, schleps or schlepps also shleps
v.tr.
To carry clumsily or with difficulty; lug.
so in other words you want me to have more trouble moving my amp around my house?

I was thinking you were referring to some sort of maintenance thing, but the only gear I ever take outside of the house is my guitars. I can carry a combo just fine plus I drive a corolla no way I can fit a half stack in there, hell I'm lucky if I can fit a 212 in it.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts