Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Guiterrorizer
15,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I'm contemplating a new cab if I can find some good audible reason to switch. I know some of you guys have some Mesa cab experience and I'd like your thoughts on these cabs.

Rig rundown:

Roadster w/ Tung Sol
TSovChaos for boosting
Agile AL-3100 stock
PRS SE with high output in the bridge and vintage PAF-style (?) in the neck

Current cab is a peavey XXX with WGS British Leads

·
SPEEEEED HOOOOLES!!!
1,075 Posts
Word on the streets is that v30's have this kind of nasty high frequency sharpness to them. As well as a bit of midrange hump (since you said you wanted to cut better, this may be an option), but they aren't super tight. My 2x12 is stupid tight compared to the v30 loaded mesa 4x12 I had, but now I really need to work to get a fatter, chunky low end.

If I still had my 4x12, I'd let you test it, but I do not. Have you thought about trying any other v30 loaded cabs?

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
I *like* V30s. Plenty of midrange and fit great in a mix. Works well with darker amps like the Roadster too.

·
Premium Member
2,232 Posts
the Stilleto cab is supposedly a lot tighter than the oversized Recto cabs.
Mesa V30s are voiced darker than the standard celestion V30 so that harsh uuper mid spike isn't any where near the level it would be say thru a Marshal 1960AV cab.
I love my Recto 2x12 , every head I plug into it sounds great.

·
Premium Member
23,428 Posts
If you're a rock/blues guy, go with V30's. Can't go wrong.

·
18,790 Posts
Knowing your sound, I'd be willing to bet the V30s would be fine for ya, but you won't know until you try. I'm pretty sure London Guitar Shoppe has a decent selection of Mesa cabs at the moment that you could probably plug into and give a go.

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
Orange cab? I actually recently heard an ROV head through one, and it sounded fucking SICK. Looked retarded (orange-colored cab, tan grill, with a black Mesa head), but sounded awesome.

I have no fucking idea what speakers they use in their cabs though.

EDIT

Well no shit......they use V30's. I generally don't like V30's, but that combo sounded damn good.

http://www.orangeamps.com/products.asp?Action=View&ID=85

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
Oranges are expensive though. I think a Mesa Stiletto cab would do just fine. Didn't they rename the old "standard" cabs to Stiletto cabs?

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
Oranges are expensive though. I think a Mesa Stiletto cab would do just fine. Didn't they rename the old "standard" cabs to Stiletto cabs?
Dunno. Stiletto cabs do sound pretty good though. I've not tried them with a Recto though, just an Ace and Deuce heads.

·
Guiterrorizer
15,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Cheers guys, keep it coming!

·
crying in your beer
3,782 Posts
Yeah, "Stiletto" = the same as the old standard-sized cabs, "Recto" are the oversized.

I personally do not like the oversized Recto cab at all. Too boomy, low end farting.

·
Premium Member
2,232 Posts
the oversized cabs sound great with 5150's and marshalls.
With Rectos I find them too bassy and loose sounding.

·
Hates Richie Kotzen
14,719 Posts
I have a recto 4x12 OS (slant) and it is the greatest cab I have ever played. Depending on the rest of your signal chain it could sound loose I suppose. But I have never got mine to sound loose :lol:

The only other cab I think that might give it competition is the Uberkab, which I have not played.

I am buying a recto 2x12 in the next week too.

Even people that don't like how a v30 OS cab sounds in a room can't deny that it is most highly regarded recording cabs (heavy music). So its a sure fire bet for that.

·
NSLALP
13,286 Posts
There is absolutely no reason to get rid of a Peavey XXX cab; they're built very well and are reasonably sized. They also have a naked lady in the corner. :flex:

I'd look at changing your speakers before buying a new cab. WGS British Leads are Celestion Classic Lead copies. You can go in a hundred different tonal directions by changing even two of those out for something different. It's also a more cost-effective way of gear-whoring into the speaker realm - you could buy two pairs of new speakers for maybe $250-300 new and have 3 or 4 different tones to try by speaker swapping.

What are you trying to achieve (what's wrong with your tone)?

·
NSLALP
13,286 Posts
Also, I personally loved the Peavey Sheffield XXX 12" speakers that were in my combo. They just did a lot of things right and didn't lack in any particular area. Chimey cleans, firm low end, articulate mids, yadda yadda. Can't comment on how they will sound with a Roadster or for your tonal goals, but they definitely do not have the upper-mid cut of a V30; they're a bit more even-sounding. :2c:

Peavey Sheffield XXX 12" speaker, 8 or 16 ohms at Birdlandmusic.net

·
Habitual Line Stepper
490 Posts
I have preached it many times over but I went through a mess of cabs before sticking with a VHT w/P50e's. I found it to be much less harsh on the ears in the highs than my Orange w/V30's. The Bass was also much tighter. Personal preference of course so take that with a grain of salt.

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts
Yes.

I've got one of each--a Stiletto cab and a Rectifier cab--and the Recto cab sits in my basement, waiting for someone to buy it. If you're playing hard rock, slamming big open chords, or stoner/doom, where you want maximum sludge, they're really great cabs. They sound positively monstrous. However, the bass response is so massive and boomy, that it just doesn't work for fast, accurate metal rhythm. Division is a pretty thrashy band, so the tight low end I get from my Stiletto cab is a must. I also use C90s, for the same reason, since V30s aren't as tight on the bottom, so aren't the best match for the looser low end of the Stiletto. They work better with Rectos, especially the dark Roadster, but you have to break them in first.

1 - 20 of 79 Posts