Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Is Actually Recording
32,765 Posts
I have zero interest in this amp, but 1) I bet it sounds awesome with Timmons plugged into it, and 2) I'll watch it anyway, because of Timmons.

·
Not baked anymore.
3,555 Posts
I'm actually REALLY interested in this amp and dozed off last night to this video. I've been thinking lately about a combo that I can pair with a smaller board for non-metal playing and this thing seems to be EXACTLY what I want. Previously I was looking at Fender combos but the Fillmore sounds like it's got a much warmer top end to it than most Fender's I've heard/played through.

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
I'm actually REALLY interested in this amp and dozed off last night to this video. I've been thinking lately about a combo that I can pair with a smaller board for non-metal playing and this thing seems to be EXACTLY what I want. Previously I was looking at Fender combos but the Fillmore sounds like it's got a much warmer top end to it than most Fender's I've heard/played through.
The Fillmores are basically Fenders with a hotrodded extra channel, and they don't break down. :D

·
Could be Hitler
7,666 Posts

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
Let me qualify that, since you're a sensitive, easily bruisable peach:

In the last four years, there have been more MIM Fender amps (and Chinese Vox) than any other amp for repair at our shop. Anything older (i.e. US-made) seems more reliable. That's not to say Fenders don't sound good; they do. but I wouldn't buy one. Haven't we already been through this?

·
Could be Hitler
7,666 Posts
Let me qualify that, since you're a sensitive, easily bruisable peach:

In the last four years, there have been more MIM Fender amps (and Chinese Vox) than any other amp for repair at our shop. Anything older (i.e. US-made) seems more reliable. That's not to say Fenders don't sound good; they do. but I wouldn't buy one. Haven't we already been through this?
Do you think there are more Fender or Mesa amps out in the hands of the people? This might explain why you see more Fenders in for repair, no?

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
Do you think there are more Fender or Mesa amps out in the hands of the people? This might explain why you see more Fenders in for repair, no?
Yeah, that's really it. That's why we don't see as many cheap Marshalls, Peavey, or even Line 6. Nope, ima gonna (anecdotally) go with Fenders aren't as reliable anymore. ;)

·
Tarantula Lobbyist
5,281 Posts
To my ears that is a great sounding amp. I never sought out an amp for its distortion capabilities because I always felt I could buy distortion pedals to get me there but you can't go out and get a "clean it the fuck up" pedal if your distorted amp is a one trick pony. I've never personally had a use for an amp without a great Fender inspired clean channel. I could see myself getting the head version of this, as I have a 2x12 V30 cab gathering dust at the moment and 1x12 Mesa Thiele as well. Would love to hear an Old Man's Tele (TM) through one of these :)

·
Premium Member
23,428 Posts
I grew up learning to play on a 1967 Fender Super Reverb 4x10, so I have kind of a huge chubby for this amp. I really want the head and a separate 4x10 cab :yesway:

·
Is Actually Recording
32,765 Posts
Yeah, I gotta go with this - this is literally the first time I've heard someone say newer tube Fenders are unreliable. If you mean solid state, sure, but those have always been junk, from basically anyone.

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
Yeah, I gotta go with this - this is literally the first time I've heard someone say newer tube Fenders are unreliable. If you mean solid state, sure, but those have always been junk, from basically anyone.
FFS, how many times do I have to qualify this? Let me ask you this:

1. You work at a shop.
2. Over the course of several years, you see a famous brand who's amps, while sounding good, are constantly coming into your shop for repair.

Do you recommend them to people, based on this? Well shit, I guess we're just lucky! (we are making a lot of money from the repairs, after all)

Now, the reason I actively slag them on here is because I know it's like a Bat signal to Flex. :rofl: But other than that, I don't hate them. I just personally wouldn't buy one, based on what I've seen. I really would love a Vox AC15, but I definitely wouldn't buy one of those either.

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts
Plenty of people reported issues with the Super Sonics and 5150III in terms of reliability. I think they've got it sorted now, but those early made in Mexico amps had issues.

·
Is Actually Recording
32,765 Posts
FFS, how many times do I have to qualify this? Let me ask you this:

1. You work at a shop.
2. Over the course of several years, you see a famous brand who's amps, while sounding good, are constantly coming into your shop for repair.

Do you recommend them to people, based on this? Well shit, I guess we're just lucky! (we are making a lot of money from the repairs, after all)

Now, the reason I actively slag them on here is because I know it's like a Bat signal to Flex. :rofl: But other than that, I don't hate them. I just personally wouldn't buy one, based on what I've seen. I really would love a Vox AC15, but I definitely wouldn't buy one of those either.
I'm saying you're the first data point I have to go on, on this, and not that your experience didn't happen to you. :lol:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts