Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
Wirelessly posted (iDevice of Awesomeness: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8H7 Safari/6533.18.5)

What he said. They're awesome speakers, I like them better than V30's with Rectos and Marks.

·
Read Only
3 Posts
FWIW... I have a recto 4x12 with the c90s and one with v30s. The c90s are much more linear and seem to sound better "in the room". The v30s have recorded better for me. For low tuned chug or crystal clear cleans, the c90s are the way to go. For more traditional metal sounds (i.e. not chug, chug, chug) I prefer the c90s.

Don't expect the difference to be night and day. It's like the difference between el34s and 6L6s, there are differences, but they're not so huge that if one works with an amp that the other wouldn't.

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
FWIW... I have a recto 4x12 with the c90s and one with v30s. The c90s are much more linear and seem to sound better "in the room". The v30s have recorded better for me. For low tuned chug or crystal clear cleans, the c90s are the way to go. For more traditional metal sounds (i.e. not chug, chug, chug) I prefer the c90s.

Don't expect the difference to be night and day. It's like the difference between el34s and 6L6s, there are differences, but they're not so huge that if one works with an amp that the other wouldn't.
For some reason Mesa Boogie supplied V30's aren't quite as midrange-spiky irritating as other V30's, right Matt?

At least it seemed that way to me, anyway. Could be just a placebo.

·
Premium Member
32,450 Posts
Wirelessly posted :)dio:: Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.2; en-us; Sprint APA9292KT Build/FRF91) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

I always thought the Mesa V30s were more upper-midrangey than the Marshall ones, but I don't know how much of that was the different cabs.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
For some reason Mesa Boogie supplied V30's aren't quite as midrange-spiky irritating as other V30's, right Matt?

At least it seemed that way to me, anyway. Could be just a placebo.
I always thought the Mesa V30s were more upper-midrangey than the Marshall ones, but I don't know how much of that was the different cabs.
I think it's a bit of both.

My Recto 4x12 has produces more midrange than my Orange 4x12, however it's more spread out and a little smoother sounding. The Orange 4x12 on the other hand has the big V30 upper mid spike. I suspect a lot of this is due to cab design moreso than Mesa's special V30 spec.

As for the MC90s... I love how articulate they are, I just don't like how bright they are (compared to a V30) and they don't seem to have the same punch as a V30. I've only used them in open back cabs however and am wondering if a closed back will smooth them out a bit?

·
Read Only
3 Posts
noodles said:
Comparing my v30 Marshall cab to my v30 Mesa OS Recto cab, I'd say that the Mesa is a little brighter and a little "warmer" or smoother at the same time. I can't really say if that would be consistent across the product line, or if it's just these two cabs. Honestly, since doing an A/B of the Mesa and the Marshall, the Marshall hasn't been used again... and that was maybe five years ago.

I really need to get off my butt and put some green or black backs in the Marshall :D

·
I miss you Avalanche
3,519 Posts
I bought a Road King cab, and swapped the V30s in the closed for the C90s in the open, and I loved the C90s. I thought they sounded SO much better. Less harsh, more clean and defined. So I swapped the speakers back, and returned the cab and ordered myself a Traditional Slant w/C90s ;) I love them.

·
The Singlecut King of Northern VA
2,299 Posts
You are correct, the mesa is smoother, I had a V30 marshall cab and the mesa cab traditional side by side and the mesa was just smoother and less mid spike.

Comparing my v30 Marshall cab to my v30 Mesa OS Recto cab, I'd say that the Mesa is a little brighter and a little "warmer" or smoother at the same time. I can't really say if that would be consistent across the product line, or if it's just these two cabs. Honestly, since doing an A/B of the Mesa and the Marshall, the Marshall hasn't been used again... and that was maybe five years ago.

I really need to get off my butt and put some green or black backs in the Marshall :D

·
Mr. Negative Pants, ,
14,796 Posts
I have two Thiele 1x12 cabs, one with a C90 and the other with an EVM12L. The EVM is smoother and warmer, with loads of low-end punch. The C90 is tighter with more "cut" to it. Not quite as warm and chunky as the EVM, but handles everything really nicely. The EVM does seem to record a bit better, though... likely because it's older and more broken in (hence the smoother tone) than the C90.

·
Registered
24 Posts
i was thinking about putting 2 T75's or K100's (x pattern) in my Recto cab. it has the original MIE V30's now. i'd like a bit less fizz and a little tighter bass. maybe a pair of MC90's would be the way to go?

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
I have two Thiele 1x12 cabs, one with a C90 and the other with an EVM12L. The EVM is smoother and warmer, with loads of low-end punch. The C90 is tighter with more "cut" to it. Not quite as warm and chunky as the EVM, but handles everything really nicely. The EVM does seem to record a bit better, though... likely because it's older and more broken in (hence the smoother tone) than the C90.
Are you still doing the GT-6/Powerblock combo, or are you mainly playing an F-30 now?

·
Mr. Negative Pants, ,
14,796 Posts
I'm using the GT-6 and PowerBlock live, but use the F-30 for recording. My bandmate recorded all of his guitars through my cab as well, since that EVM sounded so good.

·
Mr. Negative Pants, ,
14,796 Posts
I did use the F-30 in my rig when i had the G-System... it was actually a REALLY slick setup and worked really well.

Unfortunately, the effects in the G-System were just too tame and restrictive... i was hoping their "flagship" processor was going to have a little more G-Force in it.

Using the GT-6 with my F-30, i'd need a MIDI switcher to change amp channels with my patches, and i just said "fuck it" and went back to pure modeling. It's easier, lighter, and much more predictable. And it does sound pretty good, too.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.