Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need a mesa in my life. Any of you that have played both or are fairly knowledgeable of them, please feel free to provide your opinions.

I want something that can get a good modern metal tone, be somewhat versatile between clean and dirty tones, and provide both a good sound at both bedroom and gig volumes. Which do you think would suite that better? Also will be primarily using a 7 string and drop tuned 6s so something that has a nice tight low end would help. I tried to play the mini recto today but my local shop guys are metal haters and don't allow the use of a pick on their guitars so I couldn't get a true representation of that head.

·
Registered
3,806 Posts
Wirelessly posted (Wondernuts)

Fucking hate those kind of stores. Well so far the consensus is buy a V:25. Hell, even Lee bought one theyre that good.

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
I have a Mini Rec and have played the V:25 a ton. The V will be tighter without using a boost, and is more versatile, due to the extra modes per channel, as well as the GEQ.

Having said that, neither are good at what I'd consider "bedroom volume". They're both pretty damn loud.

·
Bro of Bros, Bro.
15,373 Posts
I'd say the consensus seems to be the V:25. I think the other consensus is that the mini Rec is great, but just not at bedroom volume.

·
Super Moderator
7,708 Posts
I have a Mini Rec and have played the V:25 a ton. The V will be tighter without using a boost, and is more versatile, due to the extra modes per channel, as well as the GEQ.
While the V is tighter using a boost, rectos tighten the heck up quickly with a basic boost applied. Both are great, the Rectos are generally grittier and looser with the Marks being a bit tighter, but their sound IMO is cut from the same cloth.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Awesome, guys. Yeah I almost don't want to purchase it from that music shop cuz the dudes are dicks, but it's literally the only one around and they match price.

Also, Has anyone tried the cab simulator into an audio interface on the v 25? If so, how does it sound compared to something like bias desktop or other vsts?

·
Is Actually Recording
32,765 Posts
Honestly, BOTH of those amps can do what you want, and well at that. I'd look at the Rectoverb 25 over the Mini Recto, but Vintage in 5 watt mode is both fairly bedroom friendly and very bluesy, and Modern/25 isn't quite as heavy as a full sized recto, but it's damned good. The clean channel covers a ton of range, too, from pure cleans to gritty to full on SRV snarl.

And the Mark is fucking amazing, too. Can you bring your own guitar to the shop and rock out on that?

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
And the Mark is fucking amazing, too. Can you bring your own guitar to the shop and rock out on that?
I suppose I could, but they wouldn't allow me to play any high gain type stuff at a decent volume. I don't know how they expect to sell expensive items acting like that. I mean I know the old farts don't like metal, but deal with it for the customer.

·
Is Actually Recording
32,765 Posts
Would they let you come by at the end of their store hours? On one hand I understand not wanting to have someone who very well may be a tire kicker blasting metal during the busy time of the day while people are checking out acoustics in the same room, but on the other if they think you're going to buy an amp you haven't gotten the chance to put through it's paces, they're fucking crazy. :lol:

·
Super Moderator
8,320 Posts
I have the V:25 and really love it. When I used it through a 1x12, it was too loud for me to use at home, but, if you can get away with a little noise, it sounded great at its lowest volume.

Ola did a demo of it that showcased the built in CabClone.

I'm not keen on the sound from that. It's a bit weird, a bit fizzy, and not really how it sounded to me through the 1x12, or through my current set-up (loadbox into DAW into impulse files), but I guess it's ok if you don't have many other options. If I paid out the money for one of these to record and had to use the CabClone, I'd feel I'd have wasted my money. You can get better sounds with free VST amp and cab sims, I think.

·
Oh yeah!
1,913 Posts
This is a situation that I'm struggling with. I currently own a Mini Rectifier and want to get a Mark of some sort eventually. The Mini Recto is not the most ideal amp for bedroom tones (especially in Modern) but Ive had some good success being EXTREMELY careful with settings :lol:

With that said it is such an amazing amp for cleans and rock with the smaller power section. But in the room the smaller power section isn't ideal for modern metal but noodles said that it records very well, I would assume that with recording it at volumes before you push the power section too hard.

It seems like a ton of guys prefer the Mark V:25 with the EL84 dynawatt power section over the 6L6 Simul-class. I wonder if they would like the bigger one with EL34s or if they just dont like the simul-class section. It also seems like the Mark V:25 compared to the Mini Recto does better modern metal tones.

My JCA22 does do better "bedroom" tones though than my Mini Recto though :2c:

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Would they let you come by at the end of their store hours? On one hand I understand not wanting to have someone who very well may be a tire kicker blasting metal during the busy time of the day while people are checking out acoustics in the same room, but on the other if they think you're going to buy an amp you haven't gotten the chance to put through it's paces, they're fucking crazy. :lol:
The thing is, the store was literally empty except for me and two of the employees. I was also in uniform (military) because I was between an appointment and work, and I have purchased many things there so they should have known im not some scrub that hangs out at guitar shops and never buys anything.

Class A Dirtbags.

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts
Wirelessly posted :)dio:)

Hell, I've got a Mini Recto and I'd rather have the Mark. To me, the low end assault of modern mode is absolutely the biggest appeal. You really need the bigger power sections for that to really work. The Mark pretty much does everything else better. I don't mean to imply the Recto isn't a great sounding, highly versatile amp. The Mark is just better.

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts

Drew said:
Typically, someone who walks in with his own guitar, asking to put an amp through its paces, is usually a clear message that you have an educated, motivated buyer. A sales drone at a big chain store should know to leave this guy to it, because he'll slap down plastic if he likes what he hears.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

Hell, I've got a Mini Recto and I'd rather have the Mark. To me, the low end assault of modern mode is absolutely the biggest appeal. You really need the bigger power sections for that to really work. The Mark pretty much does everything else better. I don't mean to imply the Recto isn't a great sounding, highly versatile amp. The Mark is just better.
Well stated noodles. I've always enjoyed the recto sound by all means, but have never owned a mark and have always wanted to. I used to play nearly all genres of music, and although metal is my meat and potatoes, i would still like the possibility of jamming some non metal tunes. I believe the Mark could handle that.

·
Premium Member
3,391 Posts
After playing both next to each other, I'd take the V:25 every day of the week. The Recto is cool, but I didn't think "Oh I need one". The V 25 however....yes, I need one.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts