Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Oh yeah!
1,913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I know a bunch of you have tried just about every vartition of Rectifier out there lol I'm considering picking up a Mesa Rectfier seeing how cheap they are going lately (even the 2 channels). So what are the difference? Biggest reason aganist getting a 3 channel is that they biased colder and more fizzy? Anyone try the new reborns aka multi-watt ones?

EDIT: I also forgot that I've been told that the presence is set up differently on 2 channels on 3 channels and is a reason why most people prefer 2 channels more because people dial in 3 channels incorrectly.

·
Guitar noob
2,202 Posts
I haven't tried the multi watts. But I have owned 2 Three-channels and 3 two-channels.
In my opinion I think the difference between the two has been over-exaggerated by forums and such, claiming the pre500 for instance sounding the best. I would say changing tubes would make a bigger difference in sound. At times I thought my 3-channel sounded a LOT better than my 2-channel ones.

So I wouldn't worry to much which one to get,

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts
Wirelessly posted :)dio:)

The fizzy three channel comes from people who never take it outside of their bedroom. They're amps made to be played with a band, and they don't do reasonable volume well at all.

Many of the earlier 2chs were voiced in a way that was awesome for leads, but the clean channel was an afterthought and they were flubby for rhythms. For actual live use, I think the three channel Triples are the best; all that headroom gives you pristine cleans and punishing rhythms.

·
The Singlecut King of Northern VA
2,299 Posts
On the 3 channel amp use channel 2 and it will be close to the old red channel on a 2 channel amp.

Like Noodles said, they are meant to be played loud.... but you can do bedroom volume you just have to adjust your EQ settings to get a decent tone.

As to the pre-500, I owned R0005, and yes they are different beasts, but in the end i preferred my Roadking I and kept that and traded the R0005 for a 68 les paul custom reissue whicin I then traded for a 1979 Les Paul Custom Silverburst. In the end I am happy with my choice, I th ink my R0005 did some solo's on the last division album.

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts
As to the pre-500, I owned R0005, and yes they are different beasts, but in the end i preferred my Roadking I and kept that and traded the R0005 for a 68 les paul custom reissue whicin I then traded for a 1979 Les Paul Custom Silverburst. In the end I am happy with my choice, I think my R0005 did some solo's on the last division album.
It did ALL the solos on the last Division album. We loved that amp. :(

·
Super Moderator
7,708 Posts
The bigger difference is between the triple and dual rectifiers. The dual rec clean sound is boxy and just isn't very good. The clean sound on the triple is chimy and rings beautifully. Neither is blackface markish, but the clean on the triple is very very good.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts