Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Tr00 Kvlt
5,914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally have money in hand and will be ordering an amp today. :yesway: At this point there are 3 amps that I really like and want but the delimma I am having is pretty much if I buy the Framus, which I think will be the best out of the three, I will not be able to buy all the other equipment that I want, if I buy the Mesa I will be able to buy all the equipment that I want, and the Soldano I will be able to buy most.

Framus Dragon - 1299
Soldano Hot Rod 50 - 999
Mesa Single Rect - 799

The Soldano is also a 1 channel amp, which I can make work by rolling my volume back and I LOVE the Soldano crunch, but I think I would have to end up investing in another amp for the clean. I am Really lusting after the Framus, but I feel like I am going to need a new cab for it, which I won't be able to buy because I am also buying a Schecter V-7. I also need some cables, a Proco Rat to boost it, and a footswitch for my Lexicon, which I won't be able to afford if I get the Framus. I am going to try to talk them down on the Dragon because I have seen them go for $900 before, if they will take $1099 for it it would work out perfectly. I couldn't buy a new cab, but I would have about $100 for new cables and the Rat (which I can get for $50).

·
Read Only
3 Posts
I have a used Cobra that I want to sell, and I'm in Virginia.

For $1299 I'd sell you the cobra, and throw in a BYOC distortion pedal that I hand built. Depending on what you need for cables, I might be able to throw in a few decent quality ones (not Monster 1000s, mind you :) )

...that said...

I am a mesa guy at heart, and love the recto sound. I don't feel like you can go wrong with the Mesa amps, but the single is just two channels, and if it were my only amp I'd miss having three. The Hotrod 50 is the amp that I used for all the leads on my last CD, as well as the last two Pharaoh CDs and the upcoming EP. But, as you've said, it's a little bit limiting. The Framus is a great amp, and three channels. The crunch is really nice, dryer than the mesa a bit, and the cleans are better than either the Mesa or Soldano (IMO). I just picked up a Bogner, or I'd be keeping the Framus, and if I don't sell the Framus (and my wife doesn't kill me) I won't be upset!

·
The Singlecut King of Northern VA
2,299 Posts
Which Bogner did you pick up?

I have a used Cobra that I want to sell, and I'm in Virginia.

For $1299 I'd sell you the cobra, and throw in a BYOC distortion pedal that I hand built. Depending on what you need for cables, I might be able to throw in a few decent quality ones (not Monster 1000s, mind you :) )

...that said...

I am a mesa guy at heart, and love the recto sound. I don't feel like you can go wrong with the Mesa amps, but the single is just two channels, and if it were my only amp I'd miss having three. The Hotrod 50 is the amp that I used for all the leads on my last CD, as well as the last two Pharaoh CDs and the upcoming EP. But, as you've said, it's a little bit limiting. The Framus is a great amp, and three channels. The crunch is really nice, dryer than the mesa a bit, and the cleans are better than either the Mesa or Soldano (IMO). I just picked up a Bogner, or I'd be keeping the Framus, and if I don't sell the Framus (and my wife doesn't kill me) I won't be upset!

·
Guiterrorizer
15,696 Posts
Chris, do you need to buy all those things at once?

·
Read Only
3 Posts
^ I have no idea which revision it is :lol:

I really like it, though I haven't spent a lot of time with it. I am in the process of finishing my basement, so my amps had been all packed away. I haven't done any A/B tests with the über, but in just playing through it, I really like it. It's got a nice growl to it, and a nice upper end cut that a lot of the Marshall-styled amps don't have. I did use it for some recording over the weekend, just some harmonized leads, and it worked nicely.

When I have more time with it, I'll post more thoughts. My initial thoughts, though, are that the Bogner mixed the RK in 6L6 mode will be a pretty crushing sound.

·
Disposable Hero
266 Posts
Sounds cool. I've been looking for something to diversify my amp collection/tones. I've got a couple old 2 Channel Rectos, a pair of old JCM 800's ('81 and '83), some modded Marshalls. I'm probably scaling back to 1 Recto and 1 800. I may add a newer Recto (Road King, Roadster, 2010 Recto, etc) but I'm not sure what else I'd like to round out the collection.

Been considering an Uber, just never got to spend time with one at home so I don't know how well it would work out for me.

·
2,299 Posts
If it has the round jewel light like mesa boogies it is either a REV 1 or 2, if it has a blue square power light it is a blue revision or one of the new twin jets, but if it was a twin jet I am sure you would know.

I have owned both a Rev 2 and a Blue revision, both great sounding amps but really depends on what you want.

The 1st and 2nd revision are more alike, they were more compressed and a little darker

Rev 1 to 2 pretty much changed the gain taper as the original Rev 1 the taper went pretty much from little gain to all out and not much in between. Also Revision 1 had a major volume difference between channel 1 and 2, revision 2 changed this a little but still was a major difference.

The Blue Revision made the amp more open and a little more bright, added bias points by the tubes on the inside and most blue revisions started using number serial numbers instead of symbols. The amp as not as compressed as they changed the plate voltage. Easier to match up volume between Channel 1 and 2

The twin jet is basically a blue revision but now both channels can do extremly high gain.

^ I have no idea which revision it is :lol:

I really like it, though I haven't spent a lot of time with it. I am in the process of finishing my basement, so my amps had been all packed away. I haven't done any A/B tests with the über, but in just playing through it, I really like it. It's got a nice growl to it, and a nice upper end cut that a lot of the Marshall-styled amps don't have. I did use it for some recording over the weekend, just some harmonized leads, and it worked nicely.

When I have more time with it, I'll post more thoughts. My initial thoughts, though, are that the Bogner mixed the RK in 6L6 mode will be a pretty crushing sound.

·
Tr00 Kvlt
5,914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Chris, do you need to buy all those things at once?
Well I need new cables very bad, and I don't know if my 5150 cab will be able to handle the Framus's low end. I am selling my valveking and 5150 cab. I also wanted to buy one of the Schecter V-7 hellrasier's (white), a Proco Rat, a nice wah, and few other things. I also need a small rack case and footswitch for my Lexicon, Furman, and some empty spaces just in case I decide to add more rack gear. I do not Have to have everything at once, and most I probably could buy a little at a time minus the cab, I guess its just thinking if I spend less on the head, I can go ahead and get most of the other things I need, but if I get the Framus it will obviously be the best out of the three for what I want. The mesa coming in a close second for features. I love the SLO crunch, but for the music I am making now, I actually need to have a clean channel sometimes.

·
Tr00 Kvlt
5,914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well, I called to see if I could haggle them to $1099, which was a no go. (The Framus) It also does not have a footswitch. I called the closest dealer (Four Hours away) who did not have the footswitch in stock, was going to see how much it would cost me all together because I kinda need a footswitch. He is going to call me back and let me know but im starting to lean towards the Mesa because it seems like the Framus is going to be even more costly than I thought and possibly hard to find a footswitch for.

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts
A quick look at the Framus Cobra manual shows the footswitch jacks to be TRS (1/4" stereo) that respond to momentary switches. That means it's pretty trivial to put together a solution that works. A lot of modern MIDI floot controllers have multiple relay jacks that could handle the task. A G Major could switch two of the four functions. It really sucks that they are momentary, since latching types could be done with two.

·
2,299 Posts
Just buy Matt's, better bang for the buck!

Well I need new cables very bad, and I don't know if my 5150 cab will be able to handle the Framus's low end. I am selling my valveking and 5150 cab. I also wanted to buy one of the Schecter V-7 hellrasier's (white), a Proco Rat, a nice wah, and few other things. I also need a small rack case and footswitch for my Lexicon, Furman, and some empty spaces just in case I decide to add more rack gear. I do not Have to have everything at once, and most I probably could buy a little at a time minus the cab, I guess its just thinking if I spend less on the head, I can go ahead and get most of the other things I need, but if I get the Framus it will obviously be the best out of the three for what I want. The mesa coming in a close second for features. I love the SLO crunch, but for the music I am making now, I actually need to have a clean channel sometimes.

·
Tr00 Kvlt
5,914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I actually prefer the Dragon over the Cobra. Both are very nice amps but it is just something about the Dragon that puts it OTT for me. I actually did not go with the Dragon though. I STILL have not heard back about a footswitch, and after I started adding everything up it just wasn't what I wanted to spend. I did buy the Mesa Single Rect, which came with the footswitch, a cover, and was in Way better condition. I also purchased some new Whirlwind instrument cables (the last one I had lasted forever, and they're cheap), a Proco Rat, and a Morley Wah. I don't use wah often, even when I had one before so I didn't think I needed a RMC or anything. When I get payed on the 8th i'll be ordering either the Schecter V7 or a BC Rich JR V 7. Probably the Schecter if everything goes right,and as long as I don't find a stupidly good deal on a cab with vintage 30's.

If anyone is interested, Music Go Round has the Hot Rod 50 for $999, and the dragon is on used.guitarcenter.com in hollywood, if you type Framus Dragon it'll come up. Its actually a blue tolex model, the picture sucks though.

·
Tr00 Kvlt
5,914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Not getting the Schecter V, just ordered a Q Tuner for my Agile :D and might be also ordering some locking tuners. I may just buy the other stuff that I need, a nice case with rack for my head(s), a furman, and a rack compressor.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts