Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I'm almost finished with this song. The only thing missing is the lead guitar.
(I had also posted this a while ago on ss.org, so some of you may have seen my thread over there).

I'd appreciate any kind of feedback on the riffs/playing/mix/drums/bass, etc.....
Constructive criticism is always welcome, since I need to know what to improve! :)

here's the link:

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_songInfo.cfm?bandID=945046&songID=9408664

Thanks,
Lars

·
should really be working.
366 Posts
Overall I like it. My impression of the mix is that the guitars are huge but the drums are small. I like the little rhythmic things happening and the keyboards are a refreshing change.

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Overall I like it. My impression of the mix is that the guitars are huge but the drums are small. I like the little rhythmic things happening and the keyboards are a refreshing change.
Thank you very much! :)

Yes, I agree, the drums need to sound bigger, but do you think it's merely a volujme thing or more of a mixing thing, as in the sound of the drums?

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Could be a little of both. I'd start by turning down the guitars so they match the drums a little better, then address the sound of the drums if needed.
Thanks !:yesway:

·
Registered
31 Posts
Tweak the drums a little. I bet you're using S2.0 so you just need to be patient while testing what works best on your style.

I like the song, guitar, bass, riffs and such and mixing otherwise is awesome. I would lower the level of guitar track(s), but that's pretty much up to your taste at that point of mixing.

Keep up!

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Tweak the drums a little. I bet you're using S2.0 so you just need to be patient while testing what works best on your style.

I like the song, guitar, bass, riffs and such and mixing otherwise is awesome. I would lower the level of guitar track(s), but that's pretty much up to your taste at that point of mixing.

Keep up!
Thank you very much!

The drums are EZDrummer DFH, I am still overwhelmed by all the options in SD2.0, and I'm still a noob when it comes to mixing and EQing, especially with regard to drums, but eventually I will have to learn.

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Definite 'Shug vibe. :metal:

My "I am awful at recording" suggestion: Dial the gain on the guitars back a touch, they're a bit muddy, and that riff is bad fucking ass so a bit more note definition would be ace.

Great work though man! I especially like the break around 1:40. :yesway:

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Definite 'Shug vibe. :metal:

My "I am awful at recording" suggestion: Dial the gain on the guitars back a touch, they're a bit muddy, and that riff is bad fucking ass so a bit more note definition would be ace.

Great work though man! I especially like the break around 1:40. :yesway:
Thanks a lot, man !

I appreciate your kind words.

I think in addition to turning down the gain I also need to get the playing tighter.

:confused:

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
:lol: Drew's pointing out that, historically, I'm never one to say "turn down the gain". :D
Oh, ok. LOL.

Is it really that much gain I'm using on the clip? I didn't even have the feeling it was way too much gain:confused:

·
Read Only
10 Posts
As a fellow gain-whore, I found in my limited experience that two complimentary tones with lower gain usually equals a wall of awesome sound when recorded. Everything I've recorded at my usual "jamming gain" sounds muddy.

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
As a fellow gain-whore, I found in my limited experience that two complimentary tones with lower gain usually equals a wall of awesome sound when recorded. Everything I've recorded at my usual "jamming gain" sounds muddy.
Thanks !:)

I will try to use less gain the next time I record.
Maybe also recording only 2 guitar tracks (this cliup had 4) might help getting more note definition, or I just have to really get my playing much tighter. I still see that as the major problem and I think most of the muddiness comes fomr my playing not being tight enough.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Your drums has a little too much air in it and the starting hi-hat would work better if you used the more opened version. It should be defaulted at note C3 on the MIDI-map.

Remove some reverb/maximizing or what ever you're using in drums and this would sound really tight.

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Drums need to come up, yup.

Otherwise, it's pretty sweet.
Thanks !:)

are you also panning your guitar tracks?

you can try panning hard left and right but i find 60 - 80 works better in most cases.
Thank you!
Yes, I think I panned something like 70 - 70 or 75 - 75.

Your drums has a little too much air in it and the starting hi-hat would work better if you used the more opened version. It should be defaulted at note C3 on the MIDI-map.

Remove some reverb/maximizing or what ever you're using in drums and this would sound really tight.
Thanks !
You mean too much air as in 'room sound'?

I used a compressor on the drumtrack, is it too much?

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
In addition to this, i would cut some of the very low end from bass and the low end from guitar.
Cool !
Thanks, man, I appreciate your feedback!:yesway:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts