Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
"According to ...And Justice for All mixer Steve Thompson, Metallica don't have plans to remix the album which was infamously bereft of Jason Newsted's bass. He broke the news on the Talk Toomey podcast, explaining, "I just contributed to the anniversary album of …And Justice [for All]. I just sent them a bunch of pictures and some outtakes, but they have no desire to remix the record. They want to keep it the way it is. They might remaster it or something like that, but there is only so much mastering you can do. And I'll tell you the truth, I don't even know if those original multi-tracks could be saved. Because there are like 5 million edits in them from Lars' drums alone. So if you have the box and open it up there probably be about 50 million pieces of tape all over the place."

Bahhh... :squint:

Metallica Won'''t Remix '''And Justice for All''' for 30th Anniversary

·
Resident Winger Overlord
4,287 Posts
Doesn’t need a remix. It’s perfect

·
18,790 Posts
It's a damn shame, because it definitely needs a remix. We already have the other version and can listen to it as many times as we want. I want to hear a different mix, where you can hear the whole band. That album did a lot of damage to modern metal mixes.

With regards to the tapes, I wouldn't be surprised if the master tapes were dubbed to clean tapes for storage and backup somewhere at some time. It's just a matter of whether or not they've been kept all this time.

·
Premium Member
32,450 Posts
Good to know, now I have no reason to spend the ridiculous asking price.

·
is on drug whatever
6,523 Posts
I know there’s a few ‘stems’ for some of the AJFA bass tracks that people have taken from the guitar hero games, where did the game get those from if not from the original tapes? Surely it’s not too hard to get the rest?

Having heard those few tracks with bass it’s hard to go back to the original tracks.

·
Premium Member
32,450 Posts
Just listen to this instead:

·
Registered
104 Posts
I would take the statement about the tape being in 50 million pieces with a grain of salt. If they could extract the stems for Guitar Hero then they obviously have access and could remix it if they wanted to. They just don't want to.

·
Registered
927 Posts
I would take the statement about the tape being in 50 million pieces with a grain of salt. If they could extract the stems for Guitar Hero then they obviously have access and could remix it if they wanted to. They just don't want to.
Im no recording expert but I am going to assume that there is a reel of tape that is JUST bass tracks which probably has been preserved (prob used on guitar hero) because it doesnt have 50 million edits of cutting and taping analog film together since....you know....Jason could actually play his instrument. Now the excuse that they could not remix still holds water since the drum tracks has probably literally fell apart due to all the editing. If thats the case, than the only way you can do a remix is to literally take the established final mix and literally add another bass track on it and turn it up.

·
18,790 Posts
That's actually a really good point. I've only worked with tape a small amount, but I'm fairly certain if there were that many edits they would have dubbed the final version off to a fresh tape before tracking everything else. This feels like a shot at Lars rather than factual information.

Im no recording expert but I am going to assume that there is a reel of tape that is JUST bass tracks which probably has been preserved (prob used on guitar hero) because it doesnt have 50 million edits of cutting and taping analog film together since....you know....Jason could actually play his instrument. Now the excuse that they could not remix still holds water since the drum tracks has probably literally fell apart due to all the editing. If thats the case, than the only way you can do a remix is to literally take the established final mix and literally add another bass track on it and turn it up.
This, on the other hand, makes no sense :lol: Everything for a song is on one, maybe two reels of tape, dude :lol: Plus, they had the stems for the drums, guitars, vocals, and bass all separated in Guitar Hero.

·
Arrr, Matey!
1,798 Posts
I was just listening to And Jason For All today... It's really sad that they won't revisit the mix for whatever the reason may be. But if they did, then Lars would also admit that he was an asshole and fucked up, and we know that won't happen so....

·
Premium Member
8,927 Posts
I'd have to guess that at least two 24-track machines were sync'ed up to record AJFA. The sheer amount of guitar layering on that album would dictate it. Drums would be on one tape, but many other elements (certainly vocals) would be on another.

It was very uncommon back in the analog days to cut and splice 2-inch multitrack tapes with complete arrangements. Yes did so for their classic early '70s albums, but that wasn't the norm. Most editing was done to 2-tracks after mixdown.

If they had to edit their way into having usable drum performances, it's possible that the drums were recorded separately (or first) and cut/spliced directly on the multitracks, before other instruments/vocals were recorded on another tape. Man, there would have been problems with cymbal splash being cut off etc. It would have been an editing nightmare unless each drum element was recorded separately and edited into place.

That helps explain why AJFA sounds so clinical to my ears.

·
Sir Groove-A-Lot
Charvel So Cal & San Dimas
6,916 Posts
I read an interview with Flemming Rasmussen (producer on AJFA), and he said that they spent weeks editing drums. He clarified by saying that it wasn't because Lars' playing was so bad or anything, but because they were going for a level of clinical tightness that was never heard of before.

He said that they locked themselves away in a little side-room for about a fortnight, snipping a bit of tape here and there, moving the tiniest discrepancies until everything was surgically on point. They had so many little snippets of tape that they filled up a fat envelope, and had plans to give them away as part of a competition but that never happened :lol:

·
Resident Winger Overlord
4,287 Posts
I tried listening again to the mix with bass. I do not like it

·
Banned
13,827 Posts
That helps explain why AJFA sounds so clinical to my ears.
Like Matayus wrote, i'm pretty sure that was their goal right from the start. In that regard, it works. I always thought the sound of the album matched the album cover perfectly : grey, dry, dusty pieces of concrete.

·
ya boi
ESP, Kemper, Marshall
946 Posts
Just for curiosity I'd like to hear the initial intended mix; Flemming has said he wanted the mix to be a combination of Master and Ride, and of course that engineer saying he had a vastly different mix before Lars came in. I actually agree that I like the mix, I think it fits the vibe of the songs. But it'd be interesting to hear a mix that was more "traditional", and a bit more focused on girth.

They'll never do that because the production was not an accident, Lars legitimately wanted the album to sound like that, and has never at any point indicated he thinks that decision was a mistake.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts