Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What the fuck is this shit? :lol:

A) There's white powder all over the place. It's not sawdust, and despite it being from Mexico, I don't think it's something out of Scarface either.

B) WTF holes on the lower side by the horn? :lol:

That's not chipping on the pickguard holes, btw. It's sawdust/wood bits from unscrewing the guard. This is so not what I expected to see, though.

·
Is Actually Recording
32,765 Posts
My strat was like that too. I'm not sure, but I suspect the white stuff is some sort of a buffing/polishing compound. And I remember reading about the little round holes - IIRC, they're both useful in the machining process (I guess as a way to hold the body in place) and are there partly for weight relief...?

EDIT - the thing that weirds me out the most about that picture is the size/shape of the routes. The bridge one looks about big enough and square enough to hold a humbucker, but the middle one looks almost wide enough but the angles wouldn't work and are clearly shaped for a singlecoil, while the neck is visibly too long for a singlecoil, but not nearly long enough for a 'bucker and definitely shaped with a singlecoil in mind. Long story short, they're way bigger than they have to be, but not in any way that's remotely useful without some love from a Dremel.

·
Mr. Negative Pants, ,
14,796 Posts
I've seen that white stuff in guitars before... i have no idea what it is. Probably buffing compound?

·
NICE BLACKMACHINE YO
7,276 Posts
My strat was like that too. I'm not sure, but I suspect the white stuff is some sort of a buffing/polishing compound. And I remember reading about the little round holes - IIRC, they're both useful in the machining process (I guess as a way to hold the body in place) and are there partly for weight relief...?
Two for two. :yesway:

·
NICE BLACKMACHINE YO
7,276 Posts
There's a wee cult of fucknuggets who fill the holes with stacks of 5p coins. Dunno what the equivalent nickel/silver coin is in the states, but it's a big fad.

·
Is Actually Recording
32,765 Posts
Do they really claim that improves tone? :lol:

·
Is Actually Recording
32,765 Posts
And also intelligently sized routes! :woohoo:

·
NICE BLACKMACHINE YO
7,276 Posts
Do they really claim that improves tone? :lol:
Johnson claims stainless steel pickguard screws affect tone.

Guitarists are idiots, and some believe him. Of course people think the 5p's make a difference.

Once had a brand new Am. Jazz returned to us, had £6 (that's 120 coins, a little smaller than a quarter) packed in every possible crevasse in the guitar.

Didn't run out of change for a week in the shop :lol:

My Charvel has the white dust as well, no holes though...
99.8% of all guitars have it. Guitars with painted shielding tend to have it removed/painted over, but even in guitars like RG7x20's you'll still find it in the output jack compartment. It's fairly prevalent.

My 80's Charvel still has it...

·
Slow Money
14,612 Posts
Wirelessly posted (Hivemind: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

White powder is in fact buffing compound. The little holes are therefor the robotic arm to hold onto during buffing

·
Arrr, Matey!
1,798 Posts
The pickup routes are very..... um... interesting.

·
NICE BLACKMACHINE YO
7,276 Posts
Wirelessly posted (Hivemind: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

White powder is in fact buffing compound. The little holes are therefor the robotic arm to hold onto during buffing
READ THE THREAD YOU DUMB WATERLESS HICK

·
Read Only
1 Posts
What the fuck is this shit? :lol:

A) There's white powder all over the place. It's not sawdust, and despite it being from Mexico, I don't think it's something out of Scarface either.

B) WTF holes on the lower side by the horn? :lol:

That's not chipping on the pickguard holes, btw. It's sawdust/wood bits from unscrewing the guard. This is so not what I expected to see, though.
Quick everyone get in the pool

IM curios what the route looks like on my ltd strat :idea: I think I will pull it and see.....

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Do you need a picture of mine, Ken? :lol:
:lol: Apparently he's not too bright, so maybe you should hook him up with pictures of your super custom non-Fender route that was done by aliens. :agreed:

Anyway, stupid ass language debate aside, I was doing this.

·
Hates Richie Kotzen
14,719 Posts
On talkbass theres some thread about a guy who took the pickguard off his new sting signature p bass and found a japanese doll underneath. :lol:

1 - 20 of 28 Posts