Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Hates Richie Kotzen
14,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:Metal:

Holy shit, It has arrived! Lets discuss the game! Spoiler tags please.

Mods: Is it OK I created a seperate thread? The other one was just the anticipation of waiting.

Installing now, I will start playing in ~1.5 once I get everything settled down enough for a 12 hour marathon. Any reccomendations for junk food? :lol:

·

745 Posts
I really dug Fallout 3 so I'm looking forward to playing this on my x360.
Any of you guys that already have it: share your thoughts!

·
Hates Richie Kotzen
14,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Its the same core gameplay as fallout 3, theres just some stuff added, like a new crafting system.

Storywise I can't judge yet, I've only played for ~7 hours and most of that was just exploring. I will say if they continue the badass ceasers legion stuff the story will probably be better than fallout 3.

·
Read Only
10 Posts
I feel like I just bought the same exact game. :scratch:

I've played for an hour, and so far have killed 3 geckos, and have spent 20 minutes looking for some flowers to pick for the intro mission.

SLooooooooooow game.

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
I feel like I just bought the same exact game. :scratch:

I've played for an hour, and so far have killed 3 geckos, and have spent 20 minutes looking for some flowers to pick for the intro mission.

SLooooooooooow game.
Exactly why I haven't gotten it. This summer I spent about 80 hours on Fallout 3 and I'd just be bored doing the same stuff again.

·
Read Only
10 Posts
I'll give it a few hours, but everything, I mean everything, so far is the same. UI, pep boy, inventory, mechanics - it's the same game with a new map. It feels like a DLC.

I'm already fighting the war of 32479824923 things in my inventory, and I'm level.. 2... :lol:

(Granted, I'm only about 2 hours in)

·
Hates Richie Kotzen
14,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Alright I've played for about ~15 hours and here are my first impressions. Plotwise I just got to the New Vegas Strip (1/3 of the main quest done). I followed my standard Bethesda RPG technique of just straight up exploration for about the first ~10 hours. Heres my thoughts so far...

-Very similar to Fallout 3 in terms of gameplay (same engine obviously). A couple new features (companion wheel, crafting system), but its still the same VATS system, which is admittedly still really cool, but after 5 hours you can only take so many slow motion headshots :lol:

-Story/Quests/Characters all better than Fallout 3. Especially the overall atmosphere, the NCR/Ceasar's Legion conflict feels a hell of a lot more important than clean water :lol: The main quest is well written and the larger side quests are of equal quality. I wouldn't say the larger side quests are as good as Oblivions Fighters/Mages/Thieves/Dark Brotherhood quests, but they are better than the larger sidequests in fallout 3.

-Companions are cooler this time around.

-It suffers from the same flaw as Fallout 3 in that once you are past like level 8 most everything is a breeze, especially if you are using both companions. However there are a few HOLY FUCK WHAT IS THIS I JUST GOT KILLED FORTY TIMES IN A ROW BY A PACK OF EIGHTEEN GHOULS moments. But thats only in a few remote areas of the map. So far I've only encountered two really tough battles and they are in the exact same area of the map (*SPOILER* The other is the crashed vertibird *SPOILER*)

-Anyways I probably will keep playing it until fable III comes out and then never pick it up again. As I've stated in other threads I'm not big on DLCs if they come out after I'm done with the Retail game. If a good one comes out in the next few days I am game.

PC Guys - The first day was a nightmare bugwise. The game crashed every ~45 minutes. The devs got on it though and released a patch last night which fixes most of the problems.

I'm guessing Chris is the only other guy playing here? How far are you? The flowers you refered to ar super easy to find :lol:

·
Hates Richie Kotzen
14,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'll give it a few hours, but everything, I mean everything, so far is the same. UI, pep boy, inventory, mechanics - it's the same game with a new map. It feels like a DLC.

I'm already fighting the war of 32479824923 things in my inventory, and I'm level.. 2... :lol:

(Granted, I'm only about 2 hours in)
And yes, the inventory does still suck balls :rofl:

Are you playing on PC?

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Naw, XBox. Apparently there are bugs all over the place and people are having big problems with save games on the PC, and freezing on the console. Which is odd, since they really just released the same game as FO3 with a new map.

Decent review here:

Fallout: New Vegas review: War sometimes changes, a little | Joystiq

How could I hope to evaluate the worth of Fallout: New Vegas, a full-price game that's practically identical, both graphically and mechanically, to another game that was released two years ago? How could I tell you whether or not it's an insult that you're being asked to pay $60 for a game that's so technically deficient that it scarcely feels past the beta stage?

Luckily, we're talking about the experience, and that's easy enough. If you loved Fallout 3, you're going to love this. If you hated it or weren't interested enough to give it a shot, you're going to be more confused than ever what all the fuss is about.
I'm waiting for Bob, the resident FO junkie, to chime in. For $60, I think I could have saved some money and just played FO3 again.

·
Premium Member
1,927 Posts
Naw, XBox. Apparently there are bugs all over the place and people are having big problems with save games on the PC, and freezing on the console. Which is odd, since they really just released the same game as FO3 with a new map.
This was exactly my problem with FO III. Way too many bugs during it's initial release that just ruined the experience for me. I ended up shelving it until some patches got released and went onto playing something else.

Looks like this one is going to get shelved also. Now that Fable III is coming out next week and is getting my undivided attention.

·
Hates Richie Kotzen
14,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Decent review here:

Fallout: New Vegas review: War sometimes changes, a little | Joystiq

I'm waiting for Bob, the resident FO junkie, to chime in. For $60, I think I could have saved some money and just played FO3 again.
:lol:

I play games for the plot more than new gameplay so I'm still liking it. If I had obsessively played every fallout 3 DLC and done replays I would probably be dissapointed, but I only put 30 hours tops into F3 and that was 2 years ago.

Depending on how recently and how fervently you played Fallout 3 I could definitely see how this one could come across as a dissapointment.

·
Hates Richie Kotzen
14,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
This was exactly my problem with FO III. Way too many bugs during it's initial release that just ruined the experience for me. I ended up shelving it until some patches got released and went onto playing something else.

Looks like this one is going to get shelved also. Now that Fable III is coming out next week and is getting my undivided attention.
:metal: fable 3 is gonna be epic. I'm gonna be done with fallout by then. The original fable was one of the most genuinely fun games i have ever played, so I'm super excited for III.

·
Slow Money
14,612 Posts

is that next week already? Jesus christ :lol:

·
Premium Member
1,927 Posts
And yes, there are still a shit ton of annoying bugs :mad:
:noway: That's too bad, because I just got the Collectors Edition sent to me yesterday. I'm debating whether or not to even bother opening it up until I know a patch is available.

Read that Joystiq review. Ouch!!

Obsidian hasn't even fixed the kludginess inherent to Fallout 3. The camera still gets stuck in the wrong location for dialog sequences and A.I. pathing is still comically unnatural. If I were looking at Fallout: New Vegas as a product, I'd say it's shocking that it's being released to the public in this state.

·
Canis lupis robertus
5,706 Posts
I'm 4 hours in (I also got EA Sports MMA). That doesn't take it all into account, however, since I spent many hours reading the FONV Guide, and mapping my character out in terms of SPECIAL stats, perks, traits (cool idea) and the like. Something I do with every RPG I play, since I don't end up with a handicapped character, and I'm a long time D&D nerd.

- No bugs (for me so far)
- Same gameplay etc. as FO3. To me, that is a HUGE PLUS. I WANT to play the same game again. Don't fuck with the things that made FO3 one of the best and highest rated games ever. Don't. That would make zero sense. I'll play 60 bucks happily the have hours and hours more experience in the world and game I so love.
- I dig the improvements so far. Incorporating hardcore mode (yes, I'm playing it on HCM from the get go), true iron sights, weapon mods, survival skills, all together immerse me into the game even better.
- Perks every other level sucks, but eh.

I'm playing (as always) an uber stealth sniper. I'm going for the Chinese Stealth Armor and badass sniper guns right off the bat.

1 - 20 of 79 Posts