Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Pallin' around
9,532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I thought it would be a cool thread idea if we stated our near term technique goals so that we can hold each other accountable for meeting them.

So here are my two goals that I plan to accomplish (with videos) by the end of the month:

1) 16th note exercise (from Petrucci's rock discipline) at 200 bpm

2) Clean 7 string sweeps (triads) 16th notes at 132 bpm

I will make a video at the end of the week documenting my success or failure.

Anybody else want to take up a personal challenge and set some goals with me?

·
NSLALP
13,286 Posts
My webcam seems not to work after I upgrayded to Windows 7 x64, but I really want to do this. I have two solos in the Stetina method to catch up on.

·
Pallin' around
9,532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My webcam seems not to work after I upgrayded to Windows 7 x64, but I really want to do this. I have two solos in the Stetina method to catch up on.
Hell yeah man, do it and just record it. It doesn't necessarily have to be a video.

·
Read Only
1 Posts
Mine will be easy...

I simply need to practice more (I'm lucky to play 90 min a week some weeks)

A far cry from my old 6-8 hour plus days

Ive been working on sweeping a bit - its not something Ive really tried much before so Im going to give it a go for for like an hour per day. Since i tend to be more of an improvisational lead player working on predefined things like this is a bit of a departure for me. BUT once i get a good handle on those i think my lead playing will move up to the next level a bit.

I worked on this a lot last weekend and actually had tired/sore forearm and fingers on my fretting hand :lol: (I may have overdone it a bit) For the first time in years i also had sore fingertips. ....

·
Pallin' around
9,532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Mine will be easy...

I simply need to practice more (I'm lucky to play 90 min a week some weeks)

A far cry from my old 6-8 hour plus days

Ive been working on sweeping a bit - its not something Ive really tried much before so Im going to give it a go for for like an hour per day. Since i tend to be more of an improvisational lead player working on predefined things like this is a bit of a departure for me. BUT once i get a good handle on those i think my lead playing will move up to the next level a bit.

I worked on this a lot last weekend and actually had tired/sore forearm and fingers on my fretting hand :lol: (I may have overdone it a bit) For the first time in years i also had sore fingertips. ....
Well set a goal and push to meet it! It would be awesome if we could all watch each other improve every month or two. You could even make it theory oriented instead of just technique. i.e. learn Dorian arpeggios all the way to the 13th started from each finger on the 6th and 5th string. I did that two weeks ago, and it really helps your improv because you know where all the extensions and "tone center" notes are while improving, as well as having some useful dorian shapes!

I think this thread is a great idea if we hold each other to the goals we set. I am all about personal improvement, and I feel like this could help all of us!

·
CA Manager / RHLC
1,399 Posts
From about 4:08 to the end (he doesn't play Chris' outro riff but you can hear it:
End of the month maybe if my wrist allows it :agreed:

·
In brightest day...
422 Posts
I'm currently working on some Scar Symmetry solo's. Trapezoid has been my main focus because the tapping is absolutely insane. Finishing that is one of my goals here soon. I want to record them and make videos. There are also some Shawn Lane songs that I have been analyzing to understand his composition ideas and structures. So I guess my goals really are to fully understand and be able to incorporate these ideas on the fly in my own work rather than sitting down and writing everything out.

·
NSLALP
13,286 Posts
Alright so to be more specific with my own goal, I'm going to try to finish my work on solo #6 from Stetina's Lead Method. I forget the title but I should be able to do it well by the end of the month.

I'm hoping that I can record my playing over the backing track with my Micro-BR. I think I can't record when I'm in "MP3" mode but I'll see if I can figure something out.

·
Is Actually Recording
32,765 Posts
Finish my fucking album before I turn 30. :lol:

·
Pallin' around
9,532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
^That is a must. I've really liked the clips of your playing that I heard before, so I would definitely pick up a copy of this album!

·
CA Manager / RHLC
1,399 Posts
Ok, I have a realistic goal now. Get evolutionary sleeper by cynic up to 90% speed cleanly by next Wednesday.
That song is a fucking bitch. I bounce between 80-90bpm (song is like 130bpm right?). Fun to play though:metal:

4,429 Posts
Improve Keyboard playing
Get faster at making and learn parameters of Logic built in instruments. Specifically the sampler, synthesizers, and ultrabeat.
Get back to training for classical. Got school in less than a month and i've taken a lot of time off due to hand pain.

·
Banned
7,428 Posts
That song is a fucking bitch. I bounce between 80-90bpm (song is like 130bpm right?). Fun to play though:metal:
Yeah, some of the fills are really tricky. I've the main riff up to about 90% cleanly at the moment. When I tried this last year I couldn't get up past 90% so hopefully I can actually get it to 100% this time. :D

I'll post a video when I finish. But not next week because I know it'll still be kind of dirty and not completely clean.

·
Pallin' around
9,532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Well, it is gonna be pretty tough for me to meet my goal. Don't think I am going to be able to do it, I am just about 10 bpm too slow for picking, and about 15 for sweeping. I'll still post a vid, but it might be guitar fail vid :(

1 - 20 of 70 Posts