Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Obsessed by day glo Green
2,827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, here we are, week 2 of the mg.org something for everyone challenge. Xmas has indeed come early, and we've had some cool as fuck entries last week and some new members joining in the fun! I've let Iron1 get away with his submission, as it was for a good cause, and as he's contributed tons to the previous seasons.

Points totals so far:
Buddha: 10pts
Iron1: 10 suspect pts
Scole: 10pts
Leon: 10pts
Nick: 10pts
Markus: 10pts
Valtteri: 10pts
7DT: 10 shaky points

This was born out of some people liking doing covers, whilst others like writing songs, with a combination of a few people just not having enough time to do full songs (hence the lead a week). Do one, 2 or all 3. Also, it means I only have to track one of these per week.

Rules are simple, do 1-3 things every week, Post your creations in the weekly thread as soundcloud/youtube links. I'm aiming to get various contributions for backing tracks, each one will be credited to the author. As it's the first week I'm doing a dropbox download, but we should get some dedicated hosting or something like that courtesy of chris.

The deadline for this week is end of play, Sunday 29th November

Short rules:
- You have until sunday midnight/monday morning to post your submission
- Either do an original song, a cover/medley or a lead over the provided backing track per week.
- Submissions must be stuff you've done this week, no matter how awesome an old track/recording is
- 10 points for each submission, per category.
- submissions as souncloud or youtube links. Well, as long as it is playable from a post in the thread really.
- You can do multiple entries per category, but only the first one will score points.
- no eliminations, do your stuff as and when you can
- leads can be layer, melodies, you can chop and rearrange the track, whatever floats your boat really
- Don't be a dick to other people. You can go to ss.org for that.
- Don't steal other peoples songs
- Don't steal backing tracks or pass it off as your own, give credit where it's due if you want to share your awesome yngwie malmsteen unleash the fjokking fjury face melting solo.

LAW Track:

A bit metal this week, courtesy of me, myself and I, 190bpm and in one of the happy keys of satan allegedly:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/iskl8xqn8yij72r/AAD0aD5P2UZdOUGlpcQWpbGha?dl=0

·
OldSchool Blacksmith
2,866 Posts
In a bizarre twist, i am going to post before Iron1 :lol:

had a day off yesterday so did this, what started as a thrash song ended up a guitar solo adventure.

This is awesome. Very Exodus-ey. Great job. And, yeah, I won't be able to submit another track likely this season since we won't be in our new house until mid-January... living that gypsy life real soon...

·
Registered
3,838 Posts
I was going to do a thrash song, but got bored of the riff. Then I came up with another doom-y thing, which might work. Although now I got inspired to do a cover as well, let's see if I finish anything. :lol:

·
Premium Member
23,428 Posts
I had some long days this week, so I'm behind. Might not make it in time, but I'm itchy to do another one like last week.

·
Guiterrorizer
15,696 Posts
Nick that was sweet!

Between work and moving, I'm basically only good for the odd backing track for a bit. Someone double up for me!

·
Bah. I still suck.
1,323 Posts
I'm in. This was about the 3rd idea I tried developing into a song idea. The progression and layered synth stuff came together fairly quickly but figuring out the key/mode for soloing was more of a challenge. Thought I had it- then my guitar instructor showed me that I wasn't correct. A bit of round and round but got set straight and the leads came together the next day.

[The lead tone and clean tones are from Overloud's THU-Full plug-in & a few rig library packs which I picked up the previous weekend]

·
OldSchool Blacksmith
2,866 Posts
I'm in. This was about the 3rd idea I tried developing into a song idea. The progression and layered synth stuff came together fairly quickly but figuring out the key/mode for soloing was more of a challenge. Thought I had it- then my guitar instructor showed me that I wasn't correct. A bit of round and round but got set straight and the leads came together the next day.

[The lead tone and clean tones are from Overloud's THU-Full plug-in & a few rig library packs which I picked up the previous weekend]
Good stuff as always! :yesway:

I have no idea if this is breaking the rules but here is what I recorded today for fun

Dig it. But why this might be outside the rules is lost on me... :scratch:

·
Registered
3,838 Posts
This is the dumbest thing I've ever recorded. Here's a cover of Mesh's cover of In My Dreams

I didn't have time to finish it (and also started coming to the realization that this cover is a huge waste of time :lol:) so here's about half of it.

Edit: if you're wondering why it sounds so weird, it's because the vocals and bass are in E tuned down 1/4 step, while the guitars are in D. The funky tuning of the original is probably why all of Mesh's attempts sounded so weird.

·
Premium Member
1,062 Posts
This is the dumbest thing I've ever recorded. Here's a cover of Mesh's cover of In My Dreams

I didn't have time to finish it (and also started coming to the realization that this cover is a huge waste of time :lol:) so here's about half of it.

Edit: if you're wondering why it sounds so weird, it's because the vocals and bass are in E tuned down 1/4 step, while the guitars are in D. The funky tuning of the original is probably why all of Mesh's attempts sounded so weird.
Fucking incredible :lol: :lol: :lol:

Listening through everything now. Awesome stuff as always!

·
Premium Member
7,708 Posts

IT LIVES!!!!!

:rofl:

·
Premium Member
23,428 Posts
So, you know how it goes... you start a song, and it's the biggest pile of trash you've ever heard in your life, so you furiously write a new one. Then you go back to the first one, realize it's more a major than a minor, tweak it, and then it's actually not that bad.

Anyways, here's my two songs for this week :lol:

https://soundcloud.com/wildealien/201130a

https://soundcloud.com/wildealien/201130-02b

·
Premium Member
23,428 Posts

It's over. The internet has been won :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Premium Member
7,708 Posts
So, you know how it goes... you start a song, and it's the biggest pile of trash you've ever heard in your life, so you furiously write a new one. Then you go back to the first one, realize it's more a major than a minor, tweak it, and then it's actually not that bad.

Anyways, here's my two songs for this week :lol:

https://soundcloud.com/wildealien/201130a

https://soundcloud.com/wildealien/201130-02b
These both have so much chunk to them. That bass tone and the sludgy/thick/heavy guitar is just awesome.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.