Metal Guitarist Forums banner

21 - 40 of 67 Posts

·
Read Only
1 Posts
Tomorrow I am Picking up Kraken by China Mieville

British fantasist MieÌüville mashes up cop drama, cults, popular culture, magic, and gods in a Lovecraftian New Weird caper sure to delight fans of Perdido Street Station and The City & the City. When a nine-meter-long dead squid is stolen, tank and all, from a London museum, curator Billy Harrow finds himself swept up in a world he didn't know existed: one of worshippers of the giant squid, animated golems, talking tattoos, and animal familiars on strike. Forced on the lam with a renegade kraken cultist and stalked by cops and crazies, Billy finds his quest to recover the squid sidelined by questions as to what force may now be unleashed on an unsuspecting world. Even MieÌüville's eloquent prose can't conceal the meandering, bewildering plot, but his fans will happily swap linearity for this dizzying whirl of outrageous details and fantastic characters.
He is an amazing author

·
Read Only
10 Posts
I'm finishing up the last Black Company book this week (Soldiers Live), and then moving on to a Malazan novella called Crack'd Pot Trail.

After that, a break from the genre to the Grapes of Wrath.

·
Read Only
1 Posts
I'm finishing up the last Black Company book this week (Soldiers Live), and then moving on to a Malazan novella called Crack'd Pot Trail.

After that, a break from the genre to the Grapes of Wrath.
Tom Joad Awaits :agreed:

Chris You Need to pick up Perdido Street Station BY China Mieville after you finish Wrath I know you would dig it

·
Motherfucker.
3,459 Posts
"A Long Way Gone: The True Story of a Child Soldier" - Ishmael Beah

More of a memoir of a time in Beah's life when he was recruited by the government troops during the civil war in Sierra Leone. He was around 13 at the time and bore witness to some of the horrific atrocities that befell many during the decade long war that made an entire country homeless.

Parts of the story are truly heart-breaking. Some critics have raised questions of authenticity of some of the events. Regardless, if you can look past these questions you can imagine that somewhere in Sierra Leone at that time, it was entirely possible someone - a child - could've experienced the traumatic events that unfold within the story even if it isn't Beah himself.

Wholeheartedly recommend this book to anyone.

·
Read Only
1 Posts
Picked up kill The Dead by Richard kadray and Behemoth By Scott Westerfield

Kadray is awesome :agreed: Sandman Slim is a very interesting character.

·
Where?!
2,632 Posts
Currently enjoying 'The Lottery and Other Stories' by Shirley Jackson.

·
Where?!
2,632 Posts
About fifty pages into 'Kraken' by China Mieville.:yesway:

·
Premium Member
3,930 Posts
Intellectual/Love Story(but not silly)/Sci-Fi House of Leaves by Mark Z. Danielewski. It is a story within a story that really messes with your mind and really brings something to the literary table in terms of creativeness that I have rarely seen in other novels of the same sort. Highly recommended.

·
Hates Richie Kotzen
14,719 Posts
Halfway through "Wolves of Calla"

When the FUCK does this shit pick up?
The last 5-10% is when they actually confront the wolves. I finished my kindle reread of it Tuesday. Its one of the slower DT books, but its still an integral part of the experience.

I'll probably start on Song of Sussanah tomorrow.

And just in case if you ever lose the will to finish, you can be assured that the final book has the best ending of any work of fiction. EVER :metal:

So keep going.

·
DOO)))M
7,435 Posts
No way in FUCK I'm quitting now :lol: I started the entire series on Nov. 17th and made it up to Wizards and Glass by about 1st week of December, and took my sweet ass time reading it because not only was it badass, but I didn't have book 5/6/7 and didn't want to wait.

I've heard the actual DT book is phenomenal and I'm really interested to see if it's how they predict it is

·
Hates Richie Kotzen
14,719 Posts
Like I'm saying dude, the ending is gonna blow your fucking mind :metal:

Wizard and Glass is a favortie of a lot of DT fans, and it is indeed badass, but you really have to view the thing as a whole.

·
Read Only
7,880 Posts
No love for the Song of Ice and Fire series? George RR Martin seems like he's never going to finish the series, which kind of sucks, but I enjoyed most of the books so far. They kind of remind me of Dune in that the focus is mostly on the characters and behind-the-scenes political intrigue stuff, and not so much "Holy crap dragons and elves and wizards and shit!" Some of that stuff is present, but it's not at the forefront.

Speaking of Dune, haven't seen that mentioned here, although I assume that's because everyone has read it (You have read Dune, haven't you?). Definitely one of my favorite books. The whole setting and history Herbert created is just incredible.

As for less dorky stuff, I recently read Matt Taibbi's Griftopia, which I think every American citizen should read. It basically explains the origins and history of the housing market crash and financial crisis-the lobbying by the banks for deregulation, the maneuvering by politicians to strip the government of its regulatory powers, the tactics lenders used to make money off of poor people looking for home owners-and all in an an easy-to-understand, entertaining fashion that even a mathematical ignoramus like me can easily grasp. The reporting is impeccable and a pretty damning indictment of the current political order. Highly recommended.

·
Reverend Secret Flower
11,836 Posts
Been reading quite a bit of Brett Easton Ellis's work lately. The rules of attraction, American Psycho. Some Thomas Harris, Silence of the Lams & Red Dragon.

All of which are great.

·
NSLALP
13,286 Posts
What did you think of American Psycho? I was pretty excited for about half of the book, and then it got a touch boring and incoherent to me. I just finished it maybe 3 months ago.

Working on TDW's suggestion right now, Jesus, Interrupted. Lovin' it. :agreed:

·
Reverend Secret Flower
11,836 Posts
Honostly, i thought it was a fucking masterpeice. Loved it through and through.
I love how patrick batemen seems completely normal in the beginning and as time goes on he says little things that seem abnormal, and then it builds and builds untill hes more crazy than normal.

I loved the gore of course, but that is just a by product. The character (Batemen) himself is extremely interesting.
I dug the symbolism that was all over the place.

·
HAWKS & FUCK SEC!
1,672 Posts

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts
Currently reading "Guns, Germs, and Steel: The Fates of Human Societies" by Jared Diamond. If you've ever wondered why Europeans developed all the technology that the New World completely lacked, allowing them to so easily conquer it, then this is the book for you. The way domesticable animals and plants led to the advent of human civilization is a fascinating read.

·
DOO)))M
7,435 Posts
^

Had to read that for my AP Euro history class in high school and was bored to tears by it. Probably because any time a teacher calls something "assigned reading" it suddenly becomes a chore, but maybe it'd be a good idea to try again

21 - 40 of 67 Posts