Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
What are you looking at?
2,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently have a SM57, 57 Beta and an Audix i5. Can a get something decent from these or do I need to upgrade?

·
What are you looking at?
2,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Matt, what would be a decent condenser mic to look into getting?

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
The Rode NT1 or NT1a would my choice... but I've used that for everything from vocals to cello to upright bass, never acoustic guitar.

Great mic, but pricey.

·
I MG.org salute you.
2,501 Posts
:agreed: I like the Rode mics and they aren't terribly priced. I have used both the NT1 and NT2a for acoustic with good results.

·
NSLALP
13,286 Posts
I'll just say that I own a MXL V63M, which is like $70 with a shockmount at MF.com right now, and it does a pretty nice job on acoustics and voice. Better than my 57 or e609 for sure.

·
Is Actually Recording
32,765 Posts
I'll just say that I own a MXL V63M, which is like $70 with a shockmount at MF.com right now, and it does a pretty nice job on acoustics and voice. Better than my 57 or e609 for sure.
I have one of those too - my dad wanted a really cheap condenser to record with after hearing what my AKG C3000 sounded like on his guitar, and since he's not THAT concerned with recording quality as much as just getting the song down I grabbed him one of those because I'd heard they were rather good for the price. I was surprised enough by it that I grabbed one for myself - for $70 shipped, I figured it'd be worth it just to have another condenser on hand, just in case.

Pete, I don't have anything super-nice, but I've got a C3000b, a pair of C1000s small diaphram condensers, and that 63m. You're welcome to swing up some time with your acoustic if you want to give them a try - if nothing else, it'd help you narrow it down between small and large diaphragms.

·
Slow Money
14,612 Posts
you could get a matched pair of rode nt5s for cheapish. 500 or so bucks. whats cheap to you? if you don't have 200 or more, stick to the 57 and beta 57.
My suggestion too. I like a set of nt55s, same mics with pads and contour switches built in.
AMAZING for acoustic, and i love to use one too with a 57 for cabs.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts