Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I love this player, especially his first album, even though he likes it less than the later ones, blaming the producer's input. I suppose I'm just a rabid Varney fan.

Anyway, I always thought his style would be really tough to cop.

Imagine my surprise when, trawling again for a suitable guitar teacher locally, I came upon this version of Laughing Stacks with only about 60 views on YouTube:

It hit me immediately how covering such a personal style as Firkins' is a really thankless task. I was impressed at how close Uli Widenhorn is getting, though. And it takes some balls to do all those rad licks in one playthrough.

·
Could be Hitler
7,666 Posts
:goodtune:

That was killer!

·
Premium Member
2,232 Posts
I used to take lessons from this guy named Jason Macedo who was really into Firkins, Kotzen and Howe, so
he turned me on to all this stuff.
Firkins vanished way too soon, I love that first album

·
Premium Member
1,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Great, isn't it? I'd intended this thread to be full of MiLF covers, but to be honest, I can't find any other really good ones on YouTube. I expected at least a few, as there are so many covers on YouTube... Maybe I'll go and dig up Dave Kilminster's cover of Runaway Train from Guitar Techniques. I've got that buried in a box somewhere, only learned the huge scary arpeggios when I got the magazine. I think that transcription is over on Ultimate Guitar.

I used to take lessons from this guy named Jason Macedo who was really into Firkins, Kotzen and Howe, so
he turned me on to all this stuff.
I'll give Macedo a listen, seems he was a Chops From Hell guy.

Firkins vanished way too soon, I love that first album
The thing is, he slipped into the background more than completely disappearing. He's managed to put out seven albums (including Howling Iguanas here, that was his vehicle, really):
1990: Michael Lee Firkins
1994: Howling Iguanas
1995: Chapter Eleven
1996: Cactus Crüz
1999: Decomposition
2007: Black Light Sonatas
2013: Yep

That's better going than many other Shrapnel players, e.g. Stephen Ross who I think has only just managed a follow-up to his 91 album Midnight Drive this year!

Though Firkins' "new" slide style is great, I'm more into the style he pulled together on his debut. Probably because it's more metal! :shredder:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts