Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,927 Posts
I haven't heard any rumour about him until now. He's one of the guys I was hoping would get the job. Very talented drummer.
+1. He's probably the best combination of rock/metal chops, with the ability to pull of the right "proggy" flourishes when needed. He's definitely not going to have any problems playing Portnoy's parts. I've seen him do Peart's drum parts in a Rush cover band without even trying.

3:19 :lol:

·
THUNDERBEEEEAR!
3,920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
but i totally saw "Mangina" when i first saw the title.
It's all about personal preference man ;)

Edit: got an update from my friend at the DT forums:

On September 9, 2010, it was confirmed that Mike Mangini will be replacing Mike Portnoy as the new drummer of Dream Theater...
This has been deleted from the forum now, but I'm hoping it's true.

·
Premium Member
32,450 Posts
I still can't believe DT would carry on without Portnoy.
I can. Dream Theater is a very successful business, not to mention the top tier gear endorsements. They can't just stop going to work, because they're not loaded like long term, very commercially successful arena acts. Why let someone quitting screw up your paycheck?

·
Premium Member
32,765 Posts
I can. Dream Theater is a very successful business, not to mention the top tier gear endorsements. They can't just stop going to work, because they're not loaded like long term, very commercially successful arena acts. Why let someone quitting screw up your paycheck?
I was listening to "Awake" on the drive into work today. Thank god we still have early DT - they may as well carry on, IMO, and hell, maybe a new member will give them a much-needed shakeup.

Here's the real question - think they'll continue with Portnoy's 12-song cycle about 12-step programs? The prog dork in me kind of wanted to see how they'd finish it.

·
Where?!
2,632 Posts
Didn't they finish the 12 Step thing on the last album?

Honestly, I was kind of bored with it towards the end...

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.