Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
המרחב וה
2,061 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)

The other day I was searching Symphony X live videos and I came across this video of Michael Pinella playing with his nephew, Chris Pinella (Trans-Siberian Orchestra) and he has a solo in the middle of one of his sets and it is absolutely gorgeous!

Pinella is an underrated pianist and keyboardist, he does not always get the time to shine with such brilliance! His solo albums is quite the piece in showing off more of his classical abilities, great album! He is such a cool guy as well, me and my Dad took him out to Starbucks and he chilled with us. His nephew is an amazing singer I may add and kills it with TSO.

Anyway, Enjoy and God Bless! :yesway:

Reactions: Daniel

·
המרחב וה
2,061 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
He's been so underused in SymX since The Odyssey. I enjoyed the band more when he played a bigger part.
:agreed:

He had a few cool parts on Iconoclast but not as many as you noted V: Mythology Suite and etc.

Funny... When I talked to him and asked what his favorite albums were, he said "V: Mythology Suite and Paradise Lost." I am hoping he starts writing again with Romeo on this new album. He is too good not to write.

Cheers Daniel! :yesway:

·
Super Moderator
8,927 Posts
Funny... When I talked to him and asked what his favorite albums were, he said "V: Mythology Suite and Paradise Lost." I am hoping he starts writing again with Romeo on this new album. He is too good not to write.
The funny thing is, Michael LePond also cites "V" as his favorite SymX album in interviews, and it's the first one he played on. Romeo, in contrast, seems to talk it down as his least favorite album.

Romeo and Russell seem to want to turn SymX into a more conventional metal band, and it seems to me that some of the spark is missing from the last couple albums because of that--even though I enjoy them both.

·
המרחב וה
2,061 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The funny thing is, Michael LePond also cites "V" as his favorite SymX album in interviews, and it's the first one he played on. Romeo, in contrast, seems to talk it down as his least favorite album.

Romeo and Russell seem to want to turn SymX into a more conventional metal band, and it seems to me that some of the spark is missing from the last couple albums because of that--even though I enjoy them both.
I am not sure where Romeo stands on those albums. However, I did see that Russell and LePond said that the "The Odyssey" was their favorite song to play live. Pinella loves playing Communion & The Oracle and I believe Rullo said something of the same thing. Romeo said his favorite was to play Iconoclast right now.

Yeah. I like certain parts of PL and Iconoclast but lyrically I could not stand Iconoclast. The chants were probably what got me the most. Musically they were some great moments but nothing compared to the DWOT or V. Maybe it is their family lives but the guys do not write together like they used to. Maybe touring? But I am curious to hear this new album because Romeo said it has a little bit of everything. However, the production and mixing on this album was perfect. But I want to hear Russell belt out those melodies and the guys come back together.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts