Banned
21,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
User: "I seemed to have lost a folder in the M: drive"
Me: "okay, what is the 'M: drive'?"
User: "Where we store marketing information"
Me: "yes, but where on the network is it actually located?"
User: "I don't know. Frank (other marketing guy) set it up for me"

Thank you, Microsoft, you fucking morons. The rest of the operating system world uses UNC paths to denote network location for drive mounting. You, on the other hand, think it's clever to allow people to name drives with letters that mean absolutely DICK to anyone, and don't in any way say where they're located at. Sure, the description is shown in "My Computer". However expecting people to actually pay attention to that is apparently too much.

I hate network drive letters. HATE them.

·
Premium Member
23,428 Posts
:lol:

"Sir, kindly put Mr Frank Who Knows WTF Is Going On on the phone. Thanks."

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
:lol:

"Sir, kindly put Mr Frank Who Knows WTF Is Going On on the phone. Thanks."
Actually, I had to get my fat ass out of my chair, walk over to their desk, interrupting my important work of building a Citrix server, see what's mapped, go back to my desk and recover from a snapshot, then resume work.

Tiring. I need coffee now.

·
Is Actually Recording
32,765 Posts
I like the letter convention, simply because it's a lot faster than typing out the full path. But, users should know how to look up the path, in a pinch...

Of course, if he lost the entire DRIVE, that's a problem. :lol:

·
Mutes the Meat
10,236 Posts
I like the letter convention, simply because it's a lot faster than typing out the full path. But, users should know how to look up the path, in a pinch...
Of course, if he lost the entire DRIVE, that's a problem. :lol:
BWAAAAHAHAAHAHAAHAHAHHA :rofl: :rofl:

So, you see the glass as half full eh?

·
Is Actually Recording
32,765 Posts
BWAAAAHAHAAHAHAAHAHAHHA :rofl: :rofl:

So, you see the glass as half full eh?
Hardly - I've just not entirely come to terms with the fact that, since I know how to map my own drives, I'm probably in the top 25% computer literate of all end users. :lol:

·
Mutes the Meat
10,236 Posts
Hardly - I've just not entirely come to terms with the fact that, since I know how to map my own drives, I'm probably in the top 25% computer literate of all end users. :lol:
You really are, man. :agreed:

The average computer user can struggle with something as simple as a password reset.

·
Oxygen to CO2 converter
1,957 Posts
I've been working IT for 15+ years supporting Windows networks and I have absolutely no faith that any "average" user will have any clue about how their "Allah in a box" works anytime soon.

To most people its magic. When you literally have to put a label on the copy machine that says "To copy in color, press the make color copy button. To copy in Black and White, press the make black and white copy button" there is no hope.

I still get phone calls asking why it wont copy in color.

FML.

·
Slow Money
14,612 Posts
allah in a box :rofl:

My moms boss (owns a chinese import store) has very well educated parents, and went to college herself, and insists that when the computer crashes because its so overloaded with viruses and spyware and adware and shit, that it just needs to rest :/

·
M3 Aficionado
1,278 Posts
I like the letter convention, simply because it's a lot faster than typing out the full path ...
But, unless you set the drive to always use the same letter, then locations can vary. I don't know how many times I've had to convince (and it takes effort) somebody that the current 'F' drive is their previous 'E' drive because they had a thumb drive connected before they plugged-in their external hard drive.

Ray

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
He didn't delete the whole M drive, just a folder on it. But still, I'm glad we've got snapshotting on the NAS, because it was really easy to get it back. In the old days, we'd have to go back to tape, which is akin to skydiving with a parachute packed by a blind person with ADD.

·
MG.ORG Irregular
9,747 Posts
Actually, I had to get my fat ass out of my chair, walk over to their desk, interrupting my important work of building a Citrix server, see what's mapped, go back to my desk and recover from a snapshot, then resume work.

Be glad you have snapshots :yesway: or backups at all :rant:

·
It's not lupus.
1,689 Posts
I once had an employee at one of my clients delete some accounting related-file and THEN EMPTY THE RECYCLE BIN and then wanted me to get it back. She was storing her damn files in the recycle bin because she didn't want them on the desktop. It's like she was completely unaware that there were folders beyond the desktop.

Luckily I was able to recover it, and several other things that probably should have been securely deleted, using some forensics programs I keep around for just such an emergency. :yesway:

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Wirelessly posted (iDevice of Awesomeness: Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

Kagami said:

Well, it's pretty much my responsibility to have backups of network resources. And we even now automate backups of users' laptops, using a Mac Mini Server + DroboPro with 8TB of storage.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts