Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Hates Richie Kotzen
14,719 Posts
That's actually an incredibly inventive way of experimenting with fret placement on the fly. Since we all know the ideal fret setup looks like the true temperment shit, it's a cool idea to enable moving bits around and shit.

I don't think he went for the right pieces for the frets though. It's not a huge deal on classical, since bends aren't a part of the style, but I haven't played with lego for over 15 years and even I know as a childhood LEGO connieseur there are better blocks for frets.

I'm also disappointed he didn't do a roller nut with the more advanced technics pieces. Apparently that piece is called a "bushing" but I just googled "Lego technics rolling piece". The more advanced technics set have all kinds of sick shit you can experiment and prototype with.

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Anyway, what a great and very clever idea. (The video in the OP, not the moron sitting on headstones).

·
Mutes the Meat
10,236 Posts
It would be really fun to experiment with microtones. Really cool idea.

·
Hates Richie Kotzen
14,719 Posts
I actually keep wanting to get back into Legos, because they actually do have a lot of useful "adult" uses for conceptualizing shit.

But the stigma of the "adult lego collection" is too strong. :lol:

I do know quite a few adults who shamelessly display their lego collections though. Especially engineers.

Mad respect to anyone who prototypes with legos though for "serious adult stuff", there are more of those people out there than you think. Robotics and automotive dudes love that shit. Some of the more serious advancements in robotics and prosthetic limbs get prototyped by people who keep legos laying around to stoke ideas. :lol:

Even madder respect to the ones that prototype with the shit that's not Technics. Like the classic knights on horseback shit.

·
Hates Richie Kotzen
14,719 Posts
Dammit, I saw microtonal and thought this guy was back. :lol:

I always wonder if the metal dudes obsessed with cemeteries wait until the cemetery is pretty much cleaned out to do their self portrait/filming antics or if they are shameless enough to do it when there are services or actual people paying respects.

Just imagine going to a funeral and asking some dude in a Pantera shirt and jean shorts, "Are you a friend of the deceased?" and he's like, "No, I'm a guitar inventor here to promo an out of tune solo on top of someone's headstone".

·
Super Moderator
7,708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Since we all know the ideal fret setup looks like the true temperment shit
I've got to say I disagree. That's like saying a sine wave sounds better than a piano string IMO. Granted, I've never played one personally, so what do I know. Check out this video, I feel like the sound we're used to from a guitar is superior to a true temperament fretboard:

·
Hates Richie Kotzen
14,719 Posts
I've got to say I disagree. That's like saying a sine wave sounds better than a piano string IMO. Granted, I've never played one personally, so what do I know. Check out this video, I feel like the sound we're used to from a guitar is superior to a true temperament fretboard:

"Ideal" as in "more in tune on every fret". I don't personally find them ideal, but it's indisputable that they are better intonated, since the straight frets involve a large amount of compromise.

I don't care for them either, since technically I don't find I need the difference and western tonality in itself is split up in such a way that everything is a compromise. None of the notes positions are natural law. The idea of an octave divided into 12 parts isn't in and of itself natural. The modern system of tonality is set up so that the location of every note in terms of hz is a good compromise. Older systems worked better for some notes, but other keys were way off. The modern intonation system we all use is not ideal by any means, but is a fair compromise.

Basically, since our modern ear is acclimated to a system that is systematically out of tune by design, I don't sweat the small stuff that would justify true temperament.

·
Hates Richie Kotzen
14,719 Posts
I've always been huge into the microtonal stuff because of how the same core concepts figure into the history of western harmonic music.

I actually don't find it enjoyable to listen to at all, but people into Western Music who call it "just out of tune bullshit" are weirdly ignorant. I care about it more because of being interested in the development of western tertiary harmonic theory.

It's amazing how many people who ought to know better believe in the concept of "perfect pitch". Like the octave is naturally divided into 12 perfect tones and it's been like that since the dawn of time.

The octave most definitely is not divided neatly into perfect note locations and never has been. What we consider "in tune" is a societal construct. People have spent the last 2000 years figuring out the best compromise to dividing the octave into bits so everyone has a common language.

The idea that the western harmonic theory is naturally perfect is bullshit. So as someone from this culture with an ear attuned to music that has taken place in the post Bach landscape, I do find the microtonal stuff hilariously awful to listen to.

*But* the idea that the microtonal stuff is out of tune and western tertiary harmony is a perfect manifestation of being intuned decreed by some kind of natural law is hilariously uninformed. Even the people who agreed that the most convenient way to societalize music was dividing the octave up into 12 parts disagreed on exactly how it should be divided.

The Ancient Greeks also came up with subdividing the spectrum of sound referred to as an octave into different bits for convenience. But if they heard modern western music, it would sound hilariously out of tune to them.

The detractors of micro-tonal music who say, "That's just terrible bullshit, you can't just arbitrarily pick any frequencies and say they sound good together" are basically on the same level as evolution denialists.

It's like, "uh, look at the evolution of western music, how do you think they decided at which pitch the notes should sound..... newsflash, someone arbitrarily picked the locations."

TL;DR version is, "Microtonal music sounds like shit to everyone from these parts, but saying 'microtonal music sounds like shit because it's out of tune' is hilariously hypocritical if you know the first thing about the history of western diatonic theory."

The only valid brag you can make as a fan of the history of western harmonic music is, "There is no such thing as scientifically being in tune, but the guys who decided what sounds good when played together in our system of music did so over 300 years ago, and then the Christian Church ensured there were no disagreements, so you are inoculated in the system from birth, whereas the lack of reductive theory in your music means that there aren't a small amount of locations and a sense of relativity from one pitch to the other, instead there is a huge undivided spectrum that is just chaos and makes it harder to communicate ideas if no one can agree on which frequencies are in tune"

·
Hates Richie Kotzen
14,719 Posts
Granted, not everyone is into western harmonic theory history as me and it's not a popular topic, so for the sake of convenience, it is easier to separate music into "Out of tune, and in tune".

I will say this though, people give the Christian Church a lot of shit, but if they hadn't decided that not everyone can be in tune and laid down the law and did all that other ridiculous shit like the crusades we would all be playing sitars right now.

The modern system didn't even necessarily come about because people thought it sounded good. It's tremendously difficult to communicate to other people what they are supposed to play if all you have is this huge expanse of an infinite number of pitches and haven't reduced it to a small and managable amount of pitches everyone agrees are the ones we are using. Microtonal music is hilariously inconvenient in many ways, because it's harder to preserve a written record of how you want it done.

It's the same sort of thing as when people think thrash metal is another extreme metal subgenre like death or black metal and don't properly understand the fact that it was actually a precursor. So they say shit like, "I don't like thrash metal, I prefer death metal." like all the subgenres are peers and some of them didn't evolve out of others.

Only in this case instead of thrash and death and black metal, we have shit like Gregorian Chant and Arianna Grande and Katy Perry and shit and people will be like,

"I don't want to listen to this Gregorian Chant bullshit, I want to listen Arianna Grande, who is vastly superior."

It's an extremely lengthy chart spanning centuries, but every bit of Western Tonality is precluded by Gregorian chant. Nothing you hear that features a system of dividing sound up into twelve notes isn't evolved out of Gregorian Chant.

People might not find the idea of hooded monks chanting sexy or glamorous, but if it weren't for hooded monks chanting, you wouldn't be listening to Arianna Grande.

Although, once again, even by music theory standards, that's not a particularly popular area of study.

·
Hates Richie Kotzen
14,719 Posts
Of course you know, I forgot to add, a large part of why that area of study isn't popular is because the actual history is incredibly violent, if someone asks you about how music came about you want to tell them some bullshit about like, petals on a flower, and beautiful sound that unites everybody. and John Lennon playing imagine and creativity and free love being the antithesis of war.

But the real answer to "How did people discover music that was in tune?" is actually, "They didn't, they decided what was in tune and killed or enslaved everybody who disagreed."

That's not the kind of a thing you tell a bright eyed child at their first piano lesson wanting to play like Taylor Swift.

But go to any traditional Native American ceremony and see if they sound in tune.

It's basically bullshit that we agreed on what was in tune because it was so naturally beautiful, you can't invent a system of music and have everybody stick to it without shedding a lot of blood. The body count just so that the western hemisphere could listen to the same radio stations and agree they sound pleasant is fucking massive.

Someone had to do it though. Imagine a world where someone asked, "How will I be able to play in tune with other people?" and instead of being like, "here is a list of reliable tuner pedals for guitars" you had to be like, "I hope you ate your wheaties this morning, and are good at the whole 'uniting the tribes and ruling with an Iron Fist' thing, because you are going to have to slaughter a lot of people."

·
Registered
134 Posts
Another Lego adventurer of birth, though it was old school and given away; probably a less good idea..
Well, this idea, the OP stuff, was unexpected to say the least. Great with kudos :agreed:

I've been itching for a hybrid 24/19 EDO axe, but just never got on to it. Maybe one day..

·
Super Moderator
13,448 Posts
That was fascinating and very cool. I love the stuff he was playing on it too. I mean, it was mostly traditional Turkish music played on a classical guitar that had been adapted to play microtones, but it sounded really cool. I've personally never had a need for microtones, but I do find them very interesting. And if I wanted to play microtones, I'd probably go for a fretless instrument rather than one with a tone of microtonal frets.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts