Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Where?!
2,632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Those who own HSH or SSH guitars...do you ever actually use the middle pickup for anything?

I've noticed more and more that pretty much everything I try them for just feels like a neutered version of one of the other positions, like it does lots of things ok-ish without doing anything especially well. I do however love combinding it with the bridge or neck pickup (in single or humbucker mode), but the sound on its own leaves me so indifferent I've been serious contemplating slapping a superswitch in my Jackson and wiring it so the middle position is neck and bridge together instead.

Anyone else find this?

·
MG.org-er
2,137 Posts
My Strat has the traditional SSS setup, but even then there are certain things for which I think the middle pickup in isolation is great. I like the fact that it's not quite as smooth as the neck, nor nowhere near as spiky as the bridge.

EDIT: I did have the 'Sultans of Swing' video here, but it seems that Mark uses the bridge and middle pickups together for that one. :lol:

·
Registered
7,393 Posts
I used the middle in my shitty old Starcaster :ugh: but usually just to make the annoying humming stop :lol:

The "Middle" pickup in the SC8 I use though :D :lol: I do like playing around with the different pickups when I can.

·
Uses more gain than you.
4,377 Posts
Wirelessly posted (Demondroid: Mozilla/5.0 (Android; Linux armv7l; rv:2.0b12pre) Gecko/20110217 Firefox/4.0b12pre Fennec/4.0b5)

I use the middle pickup on my HSS guitars for bluesy type sounds. I never use the one on my HSH guitar. :lol:

·
Born To Lose, Live To Win
111 Posts
on my strat i use it mainly in conjunction with the other 2. but alone it can do a good dick dale sound.

·
Read Only
10 Posts
I can't use the middle pickup in my strat. It's right where I pick, so I have to have it buried in the pickguard otherwise I smack the crap out of it. :(

·
Premium Member
574 Posts
I can't use the middle pickup in my strat. It's right where I pick, so I have to have it buried in the pickguard otherwise I smack the crap out of it. :(
^this......that's why I don't own any more guitars with either H-s-s or H-s-H...

·
Slow Money
14,612 Posts
I never use them alone, however i use them all the time on HSS guitars and SSS guitars with either the bridge or neck pickup. Not so much on HSH guitars though.

·
Registered
4,184 Posts
I use mine a lot but thats because I dont play metal I find its great on my medium drive channel for some leads

·
Super Moderator
8,927 Posts
A middle single-coil is very useful for combining with the other pickups, especially if you have bridge/neck humbuckers wired to be split-coil in the 2 and 4 positions (or if those are single coils, obviously). It's a different sound than merely combining split coils on the bridge/neck together using a 5-way super switch.

I've occasionally used the middle pickup by itself. It doesn't have a lot of character, but you can use it for certain 'utility' things to good effect. On a Strat, it also has its own tone control, which comes in handy.

I'm kind of surprised more people haven't experimented with it, since it would potentially be a way to distinguish oneself from the other five gazillion Strat players out there.

·
Lord Super Awesome
5,701 Posts
It's funny this has been asked now. In my own playing, I use it every know & for 2nd & 4th selector positions for that out of phase sound. However, I did a recording session last night where I was trying to mimic that James Gang "Funk #49" tone & I used the middle pickup on a strat with great results.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts