Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been wasting many hours into reamping (Kemper + IRs) a new album recording and I've been struggling with the guitar sound.

Then I thought... Maybe I should use a much more middy profile, and use a more bass/middy cab/mic placement... before I had a rather bass/trebly profile and tried to get the mid frequencies from the IRs...

Am I on the right track now? How do you guys do it? Doesn't matter if it's Kemper, AxeFX or real amps with actual cabs or whatever.

·
Premium Member
7,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No I have some sort of issue with my Kemper I think. I have contacted KEmper, and SinMix and everybody but nobody has a answer

The built-in cabs in Kemper sounds horribly trebly and thin.

When I asked SinMix to reamp my DI track with the exact same profile, his reamping sounded more "real amp" than mine, and I have NOTTTTTTTT mixtured with any settings in the output or cab section.

If I turn off the cab section and use IRs, I get much better results.

·
Banned
3,697 Posts
Is it under warranty? I'd get that looked into.

I'm just starting to play with IRs at the moment, so this is something I'll follow :flex:

I tried lecab but got better results with amplitube 4 and it's new Mesa cabs

·
Premium Member
23,428 Posts
Come to my place, you can use my Splawn and V30 4x12!

And, don't worry, there's no superglue anywhere to be found! :wub:

·
Not baked anymore.
3,555 Posts
I tend to go for a really neutral sound, nothing is accentuated at all. I can't remember what pack it came from or what distributor, but I use a BROHYM Mesa 4x12 with a 57 IR (out of over 1,000 IR's I have) on everything....I think I've got a couple Marshall cabs that I found work really well too. I was using some that had some pretty good bass in the IR's, but once I tracked the actual bass they just got swallowed up.

One thing that helped me a TON was using a hi-pass filter on the cabinets because there was still some ****** "ooomph" that was muddying up the palm mutes. I was trying for a good day or so to find a cab that solved it while retaining it's sound, then I saw the hi/lo pass filters on Lecab and started messing around....within a minute or so I got what I needed.

Sometimes when I'm tone digging, I have to remind myself that I'm just tracking right now and all I need is something to get the idea across, it's all DI and shit is going to change drastically by the time I start mixing.

Are you getting these tones with the bass guitar already laid down? If not, I wouldn't spend a huge amount of time worrying until the mixing phase. It'll only slow you down to spend weeks getting a killer guitar sound for tracking only to find out later that the bass/guitars are fighting each other for space in the mix.

·
Premium Member
7,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I tend to go for a really neutral sound, nothing is accentuated at all. I can't remember what pack it came from or what distributor, but I use a BROHYM Mesa 4x12 with a 57 IR (out of over 1,000 IR's I have) on everything....I think I've got a couple Marshall cabs that I found work really well too. I was using some that had some pretty good bass in the IR's, but once I tracked the actual bass they just got swallowed up.

One thing that helped me a TON was using a hi-pass filter on the cabinets because there was still some ****** "ooomph" that was muddying up the palm mutes. I was trying for a good day or so to find a cab that solved it while retaining it's sound, then I saw the hi/lo pass filters on Lecab and started messing around....within a minute or so I got what I needed.

Sometimes when I'm tone digging, I have to remind myself that I'm just tracking right now and all I need is something to get the idea across, it's all DI and shit is going to change drastically by the time I start mixing.

Are you getting these tones with the bass guitar already laid down? If not, I wouldn't spend a huge amount of time worrying until the mixing phase. It'll only slow you down to spend weeks getting a killer guitar sound for tracking only to find out later that the bass/guitars are fighting each other for space in the mix.
Yes, I always use hi/low filters.

And yes, bass is there

I'm not tracking, all that stuff is finished. I'm only reamping right now, everything is doen except I need to find the "perfect" amp sound.

Please do a DIY fix and post before and after pics.
Fuck, I didn't have the time to take a "before" photo...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts