Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Boogadee Oogadee
1,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got a Rolls MidiBuddy and my RJM Amp Gizmo doesn't seem to be recognizing it.

My chain *was* Nobels MF2 foot controller with 5-pin cable (set to ch1) > RJM (set to ch1) > G-Maj (Set to OMNI). Worked fine, but since the MF2 would freeze on me at times, I'm trying to replace it with the Rolls.

So now it's Rolls > foot controller with 5-pin cable (set to ch1) > RJM (set to ch1) > G-Maj (Set to OMNI).

What's happening is that the RJM isn't recongnizing the midi commands from the Rolls - and therefore not changing the channels on my roadster. But the RJM is passing the commands (via the through jack) on to my g-maj, and my g-maj is responding correctly.

I used the DIN switches on the Rolls to try other Midi channels (ch 1, ch 16), and switched the midi channels on the RJM and G-Maj appropriately. Same symptoms - the g-maj recognizes the commands, the RJM is unresponsive.

Both the RJM and the Rolls could use a 7-pin midi cable.... but is that mandatory? I thought the 6th and 7th pin were for Phantom power functions only, and would have no effect on data transmission? Can somebody confirm this before I drop some money on a 7-pin cable?

Or is it possible that I just got a bad Rolls (which would be weird b/c the g-maj doesn't think so), or the Rolls and RJM are not compatible (which would be weird b/c isn't Midi a universal concept?)?

·
Premium Member
11,451 Posts
Hmm. My first thought would have been the midi channels - are you *sure* you eliminated that completely? If there's an "Omni" setting for both of them, try that.

Another thing to try would be to reverse the chain - go to the GMajor first, then the RJM, and see if that changes anything.

The 7 pin cable is just for phantom power - they don't carry any data.

·
Premium Member
23,428 Posts
The 7-pin cables are just for phantom power.

Have you tried plugging the Rolls directly into the GMajor? Try a few configs of connections to see if you can pinpoint the failure mode.

·
Premium Member
11,451 Posts
Looking at the manuals, try changing the setting for DIP switch #6. It looks like one may be starting programs at 1 and one at 0, which I've seen cause issues before.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts