Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 103 Posts

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Sort-of.

But I've come to the conclusion that the DREAM THEATER machine was starting to burn me out...and I really needed a break from the band in order to save my relationship with the other members and keep my DREAM THEATER spirit hungry and inspired.
Or perhaps?

"I'm sorry to all the disappointed DREAM THEATER fans around the world... I really tried to salvage the situation and make it work... I honestly just wanted a break (not a split)... but happiness cannot be forced, it needs to come from within.

·
Bro of Bros, Bro.
15,373 Posts
Wow...

It reminds me of those people who are married for 20 some odd years, and then decide to get a divorce.

Hopefully he has found something else he likes doing. That's really all that matters.

·
Premium Member
23,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The title is rather sensational, but I'd be hard pressed to put money on the other guys firing a replacement to let him back in.

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
At this point, they should just let the band die - their best material is behind them, and they all have a ton of side projects anyway. Do a reunion tour every 5-10 years and they'll sell out every arena they book.

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
:woohoo:

Now we won't have to hear his vox on the new DT stuff!

[action=Josh]might have cared five years ago, but has been off the DT bandwagon for years.[/action]

Kudos to him for doing what he wants to do though. Hopefully it will be musically and financially fulfilling. Now they need to remove Labrie, and get Petrucci and Rudess to stop playing twenty minute solos in every song... never mind. They should just end the band.

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Sadly, I'm with Keith. I don't even really listen to any DT anymore unless it's old. The last several albums just seemed like a battle to see who could overplay the most, and while Rudess is no doubt an amazing player, I just get bored of his playing immediately. Kevin Moore, on the other hand, wrote great songs and played super-tasteful parts in them, while Rudess is basically just the keyboard version of JP.

·
Premium Member
23,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I haven't really gotten into anything since SFAM, but it's rather sad to see him almost forced out.

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
Sadly, I'm with Keith. I don't even really listen to any DT anymore unless it's old. The last several albums just seemed like a battle to see who could overplay the most, and while Rudess is no doubt an amazing player, I just get bored of his playing immediately. Kevin Moore, on the other hand, wrote great songs and played super-tasteful parts in them, while Rudess is basically just the keyboard version of JP.
:agreed:

Said it much more tastefully than me :lol:

·
Premium Member
367 Posts
At this point, they should just let the band die - their best material is behind them, and they all have a ton of side projects anyway. Do a reunion tour every 5-10 years and they'll sell out every arena they book.
I agree. I think writing with the same people for 20 years can lead to creative stagnation. Plus, people's tastes are constantly developing in different directions, so being forced to all fit together in the DT mold is eventually restricting upon everyone. Let them all mix it up with some new musicians, and maybe we'll see something original.

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
Bets on what Petrucci will do with his time after DT implodes? :popcorn:
Guest on a million other bands' tracks, launch a widdly solo project, and/or start working out even more obsessively?

·
Señor Member
12,297 Posts
Guest on a million other bands' tracks, launch a widdly solo project, and/or start working out even more obsessively?
I give 6 months, tops, before Petrucci is so big that he shows up in those "IS IT REAL OR NOT? YES OR NO?" banner ads that show up on facebook.

·
18,790 Posts
IMHO...

Best thing Portnoy's done in the last 10 years:

Best thing Rudess's done in the last 10 years (this performance and his parts on the Insurgentes album. He's a cheezy as hell synth player, but a tasteful as fuck pianist):

I say get Rudess on the album Wilson's doing with Portnoy and Akerfeldt, and restrict him to piano, Hammond organ and maybe Rhodes/Mellotron (since rumour seems to point to the project being a darker/mellow, more old-school prog feel last I heard).

Labrie's solo albums seem to work out great.

Petrucci could do another solo album.

Not sure about Myung, has he done much outside of DT?

·
Super Moderator
2,037 Posts
Anyone else get the feeling that he's coming off dramatic and even a little, I dunno, arrogant?

1 - 20 of 103 Posts